Programs that don’t need gym access or weights

Are there any good programs out there to get you ready for the mountain that don’t need a gym and weights? Or need very little? Thanks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
simply loading your pack up with weight and hiking will go a long ways towards getting ready for hunting season

vary the distance and weight, sometimes lighter and longer, sometimes heavier and shorter

mix in steep climbs/descents

tons of body weight exercises- push-ups/pull-ups/sit-ups/lunges/squats/etc

so yeah, lots of things you can do :)

Loaded pack and bleachers has worked great for me. If you can run them and get your heart rate up, even better. Closest thing to being in the mountains I've found yet.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The mountain tactical institute back country program is pretty minimal equipment:
1) 16" step box
2) Pack with 40lb & 75lb weights for them (concrete sacks, etc.)
3) A "sand bag" (canvas duffle with 60lb of rubber mulch in it)
4) A set of 15-25lb dumbells (calls for 25lb but I backed that off to 15lb on one exercise due to knee strain but still use 25lb on another).

Out door running/rucking, the box stepping doesn't take much space up, some of the grind session stuff with the sandbag you need a bit of space to work with (in house or backyard) but not specifically a gym.

*zap*

WKR
I think it is hard to beat using weighted compound movements to increase your rucking ability especially if you have never done that type of training. There are some very good bodyweight movements...pushups, dips, handstand pushups, pull/chin ups, step ups and box jumps to name a few.... but it is hard to duplicate weighted squats and weighted hip hinge movements without weight and they are (imo) very important to posterior strength training. A pair of adjustable weight dumb bells that go to 75# or so might work....hope things work out for you.

I do the elk fit workout from mtn ops and it seems to be good. I just use a cooler for the step ups and put some weight in my pack I really don’t have any money into it other than my hunting gear. And you don’t need a gym at all.

BeWild

FNG
The mountain tactical institute back country program is pretty minimal equipment:
1) 16" step box
2) Pack with 40lb & 75lb weights for them (concrete sacks, etc.)
3) A "sand bag" (canvas duffle with 60lb of rubber mulch in it)
4) A set of 15-25lb dumbells (calls for 25lb but I backed that off to 15lb on one exercise due to knee strain but still use 25lb on another).

Out door running/rucking, the box stepping doesn't take much space up, some of the grind session stuff with the sandbag you need a bit of space to work with (in house or backyard) but not specifically a gym.

I'm a couple weeks into the 7 month long program and I like it a lot so far.

THBZN

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any good programs out there to get you ready for the mountain that don’t need a gym and weights? Or need very little? Thanks

I have really like (hate?) this workout, as it taxes the major muscle groups in the legs and increases muscular endurance a lot.
Another great article from the same site covers what muscular endurance really entails, and how to train for it. Steve House and the others at Uphill Athlete know more about training for moving in the mountains than frankly anyone out there. What is involved in high altitude, technical alpine climbing has several similarities to backcountry hunting, but IMO, alpine climbing is so much more committing.
Also, they do a great job of outlining the differences between muscular endurance and pure cardio "fitness". I think we blur the two at times, and they are markedly different. Knowing that difference is key, and how to train for them will only help us in the mountains.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
great article! makes very good sense; I try to get one really tough hill workout in a week- and like the article I'll vary that w/ extra steep (more vertical) with increase in weight on pretty steep

I prefer getting it in one shot, but sometimes will do shorter repeats

IanCOLO

FNG
Another kudos for Uphill Athlete. Those guys know training for time in the mountains better than just about everybody.

I go to a gym but did purchase a sand bag for getting workouts in when I can’t make it to the gym.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My vote for the best all-around training (meaning it hits strength, strength-endurance, and cardio) without a gym membership and almost no equipment would be to get a couple kettlebells and then just youtube 'kettlebell workout' and try different ones each time.

I don't know your strength level, but for reference, I weigh 175# and my max bench is 245# and my max squat is 325# and I'll use a 50# kettlebell for this workout and it kicks my ass:

You can get kettlebells on amazon prime for < $1/lb. Depending on where your strength is to begin with, I'd suggest a 20#, 30#, and 40# to let you use different weights for different exercises as you'll be able to lift more on certain movements than others.

good luck!

IanCOLO

FNG
Even after starting at my gym that primarily uses Kettlebells for their strength workouts I was still able maintain close to my max on different barbell lifts even though I wasn’t doing those specific lifts.

YouTube will be your friend for learning new workouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there are TONS of free workouts to follow on Youtube...just search workout without weights, or "bodyweight workouts". They're free, keep you motivated (once you press play) and you can do something different all the time.
however, I would suggest picking up some kettlebells or dumbells - a set of 10's, 20's and 30's or similar should do the job. Just add equipment from there. Tons of good stuff cheap on different marketplace platforms (facebook, craigslist, etc)

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
https://mtntough.com/pages/mtntough-30-30-no-equipment-workout-buy

This is the MtnTough 30-30 workout plan. They're all body weight exercises. I like their whole program because it gives you day by day what your doing as well as video and written explanation. And the people backing it up that came up with the whole thing are legit. The program isn't really just thrown together, there was thought into it.

I haven’t been to the gym since high school. My fitness level has fluctuated in the last 15 years But since I have main hunting my primary passion, I’ve been in decent shape. I hiked 180km on a 2 week stone sheep hunt last season, and surprised myself with my abilities.

My training has been pretty simple. Avoid over eating, do push-ups when watching tv with the wife in the evenings, and before bed. Run or hike with a weighted pack as much as possible (I run trails 2-4 times per week). Running is the fastest/easiest way to shed some weight and improve your cardio. The weighted pack helps the cardio for sure, but really improves your leg muscles and stability. If you really want to succeed next season, every second thought that you have will be about that hunt, and how you can succeed. Being physically and mentally tough is a huge challenge that has to be worked on every day.

Hooverfb

Lil-Rokslider
Theres all kinds of ways to make bodyweight workouts tough enough for you. Doing things for time, varying stability, etc.
You can do the advanced version on this video..
Or something as simple as this where you just go for time through different variations of burpee
One of my favorite bodyweight workouts I've done is 100 pullups, 200 pushups, 300 situps. Everytime you have to stop, run a 1/4 mile in under 1:30. If you dont make the time, do it again for up to 3 times (I didnt have to do that, it sucks as it is lol)

Nobody has mentioned it, and I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but a fun and cheap (it can get expensive really quick) method of keeping your heart rate up is finding a used mountain bike to cruise around on. Its very low impact and I often use mine for quick trips to the store for small items.