Property line disputes

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for recommendations on what to do when a neighbor cuts onto your property. We have a block of overgrown brush and cedars with no fence between us, just signs. The new neighbor wants to cut a 50ft wide path 1/2mile long with a forestry mulching company. He has cut onto my side twice and I was nice but I’m not excited about his new plan to have this done with a machine that doesn’t have a gps. The last time he said oh I don’t trust surveyors after showing him the pins and that he’d clearly cut onto my property. I’ve sent the company pins and markers I have on onX but it’s a jungle in there and they agree it’s easy to get lost and very difficult to tell where you’re at in there. I know I’ve been way too nice and I’ve tried to keep a good relationship with him but this concerns me. What action would you guys take?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idaboy

WKR
Talk to him and split the cost of survey of the property line, if you can't agree...Check with County or Township if they have a plat or survey on file that shows......otherwise get a lawyer

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
It was surveyed within three months before he bought it. I was told about a cease and desist but will the lawyer do anything else if the cedars aren’t worth anything?

If you can afford it and have the time, pay a surveyor to flag the property boundary and show the flags (i.e. survey tape) to the clearing guys. It's called a boundary locate, and if the corners were surveyed recently it shouldn't be too expensive by survey standards. That will be as legal as you can get.

The clearing guys are unlikely to have ANY interest in a trespass dispute, so should respect those flags.

JVS

Lil-Rokslider
How far on your side did he cut?
A perimeter trail is a good thing.
May be a good time to put of a decent fence.

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, fence will be next which is good. I’ll contact the surveyor and see what he can do. When they last surveyed the line he only did flags in 4 places because of how thick it is. I don’t really have any recent pics but it’s super thick being summer right now. It was taken out of crp in the 90s and hasn’t been touched since. Just a sanctuary.IMG_1402.jpg
IMG_1400.jpg

OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
How far on your side did he cut?
A perimeter trail is a good thing.
May be a good time to put of a decent fence.

144yd long strip to run power and water with about 3-4ft is on his side and 8-10 ft on my side. That operation got shut down when I saw it. The other time he cut a trail about 50ft into mine for 30yds. A perimeter trail and fence is definitely due. He already sits the property line on both me and his other neighbor where there’s no shot opportunities on his land.

CRJR45

WKR
Stop trying to be a nice guy about it , this guy is out of control and you need to rein him in . Sit him down and tell him where your land is and make sure he understands that you want him to stay off , completely !
Tell him the next thing is lawyers and that will cost you both money .
It's better to be a jerk about it once than let it drag out forever , man up , set him straight .

Last edited:
OP
cardiac5

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I definitely was way too nice in the beginning but he is aware that nothing is to be cut on my side. I did like 18 total 8-13 week contracts all over and maybe came back 2x during a contract for about 5 years. I never made it to the farm until it was time to put in plots or set cameras so no one was there to monitor it appropriately. I’ve got a 6 day stretch off before they cut so I’ll be talking to a surveyor and getting it marked. Thanks guys

Wellsdw

WKR
Well I’m not sure where you live but if it’s in the southeast, your natural fence will be back better than ever once that “mulcher” area re-sprouts.

Hire a surveyor and sue your neighbor for any damages.

Those would be the most expensive trees he ever killed...........

Yep, hire the surveyor yourself to do (at a minimum) a property line survey, have him not only verify pins, but also pay him to stake the line every 100 ft. Hire fence company immediately to come and run a fence of your choosing. It is against the law for anyone to remove a pin or stake set by a surveyor.

You can't control other people or what they do on their property, so I wouldn't waste time trying to change him or become his buddy. Plus he, or some other neighbor will eventually sell and you will just be dealing with a new problem when they or their adult kids or cousins or grandkids start hunting the line and shooting onto your property as well. What you have to do is make a plan for creating edge habitats inside of your property, lots of it. If you have timber, make clearcuts in the interior of your property. Then replant portions of those but carve out strategic food plots. If you don't have timber, plant some. Won't take but a few years to get the transition going. Let your neighbor play checkers while you play chess

EdP

WKR
The neighbor's statement "I don't trust surveyors" tells you all you need to know. He intends to violate the property line. One option in this case is to have the line marked by a surveyor and have a lawyer send a registered letter to the company he contracted notifying them the line has been marked and they are not to cut on your property. Follow up with a fence to prevent future issues.

I just bought 45 that butts up to my hunting land.Wooded timber,rocky and thick.
I paid to to get surveyed,paid a skid steer to mulch the lines and just paid to have 3/4 mile of 4 strand bar wire and pipe corners.
I did meet most neighbors and most were nice,i just told them what I was doing and didn’t ask for anything from anybody.
I do have one 1/4 mile stretch on my existing property that’s off in my neighbor favor 16 ft on one end,about 10 in the middle and tapering in to existing line.
He’s a cattleman and a dick.He don’t want to move and there are laws in his favor sense it been there so long.I could still probably get it moved but when you add it up it equals.38 of a acre.Lands about 5-6000 a acre.Cost me more in lawyer than that’s worth.
You just have to get that stuff done.No reason to have land if you’re always in a fight or always to cheap to do it yourself.

Wrench

WKR
If it's surveyed and they are violating your space, call the law. If that doesn't sway them....file suit.

I went through this, my dad went through this and good fences make good neighbors could not be more accurate.

Maybe I'm different than you guys but that looks like a nightmarish cedar situation so I'd be thanking him for paying an expensive forestry mulcher for cleaning up your property line so you can come in afterwards to easily put up a fence wherever the property line may be.