PRS/NRL Magnification Opinion Needed

Correct me if I’m wrong but the NXS 2.5-10 is a scope focal plane scope correct?

Only asking because if you use the scope on any power but max, the reticle (mainly for wind holds) would not be accurate. But I guess any time wind starts to make a big difference is on 200/300yrd+ targets so you’d be using the 10 power anyways

Not trying to talk you out of that scope at all, just trying to figure out what I want to buy is all lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah you are correct. ( I am sold on it because first and foremost it’s reliable, relatively light and compact which is important to me, good optical quality. So I can live with the SFP) especially because like you said it being only 10x I am almost sure to be using 10x on any shot long enough to matter.

I do. I run a Gen 2 on my Vudoo. I would put it on and go do it. It's fun. Grab you some Center x.
I have some Center-X as well as some SK Long Range Match I just ordered since Center-X is never in stock anymore. Going to see what the gun likes and man I hope it's the SK. I just went to the Huber Concepts factory front and picked out my ideal trigger for the Vudoo too. Very excited to put it all together.

ChrisAU

WKR
4-25 LRP S3 on my NRL22 rifle, love it.

Honestly its what should be on my NRL Hunter rifle but I like variety. Thinking about a Kahles K624i for 2024. I have found FOV on the low end more restricting than anything else for closer up targets shooting from odd positions.

Macintosh

WKR
Part of the reason people can use more magnification for PRS is that so many people are using 20+ lb guns in little 6mm cartridges...and even then most folks I know do most of their shooting somewhere around 15-18x. With a lighter hunting rifle that recoils more, on balance you may find you are a little better off using somewhat less magnification than other folks who are using a purpose-built gaming rifle that has almost no recoil.
For me the only issue would be that I'd really, really want a FFP scope unless I was going to just leave it at max power 100% of the time, becasue I want to use the reticle.

Oops old thread.

@JohnJohnson I am not certain about center x, but I have it on pretty good authority that the sk match, sk+ midas +, etc are all built on the same product lot--they are just sorted based on consistency after being produced. I dont know if that captures the whole truth, but I have definitely found it to be true that every once in a while I'll find a lot of sk+ that shoots every bit as well as midas+, but that there is a lot more lot-to-lot variation in the cheaper stuff. My guns likes it just fine and it has worked across both hot and cold for me (a big issue with some 22 ammo if you live in a cold climate), so if you try some and your gun likes it you may very well be able to also get good performance from the cheaper stuff, just expect to have more variation between lots of the mid range and cheaper stuff.

6.5x284

WKR
I like something in the 25x or more top end but like others in a match run well below that. In a match I’m on 12-18x the entire time except maybe a prone KYL and I’ll go the full power. I like the full power to zero and load dev, and sometimes spotting or measuring movers and things. I’d say the majority of scopes I see are 25-35x top end. Still some 18x floating around though.

Haven’t shot a NRL hunter yet but I anticipate a lot of NX8 scopes and 18x top end on hunter built sub 16lb rifles.

Just go shoot one and you can play with a lot of setups and see what you like! You can have fun with very modest equipment. It’s a dark hole for a wallet though if you like it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk