Pudelpointer and stickers

do you guys have any tricks or remedies for keeping cockle burrs and stickers off your longer-haired bird dogs?
If not, would you happen to have any recommendations for removing stickers? My poor dog is almost hairless at the end of the season.
Thanks

TSAMP

WKR
I keep a small comb in the truck. You get decent at getting them out after while. Hold the base of the fur so your not ripping it out and then start working on it, small bites at a time.

Dos XX

WKR
I keep a small comb in the truck. You get decent at getting them out after while. Hold the base of the fur so your not ripping it out and then start working on it, small bites at a time.
This. And a small pair of good scissors. Some of them won't comb out .

Perhaps a bit of cooking oil rubbed on the stuck area and then a wide toothed comb gently run through the hair used in a manner as TSAMP mentioned. Then a good bath and quality coat conditioner. TIP a comb such as an afro comb is good.

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
Mine has a rather short coat for a Pudelpointer, but still his ears and muzzle still show it at the end of the season. I just pull one at a time for burrs. Beggarticks are more of a hassle for us.

A fork works much better for me than a comb to remove burrs. You can get extra leverage, but also grasp/pinch the hair on both side of the tines between fork and skin, then use fork lever to pull burr from hair as braced by fingers, rather than pulling hair from the dog. I carry a full size dinner fork and a crab/lobster fork in my vest.

TSAMP

WKR
I love my drahts so much, but just got back from SD and cattail swamps with burrs. Just tore the boys up and wasted time pulling them out. I either need to find a really tight coated draht kennel or I'm going DK next round.
Whoa buddy this is a PP thread.

Let's see these drahts tho.

I passed a couple litters looking for the right coat on my dog. I hear ya.

MT257

WKR
do you guys have any tricks or remedies for keeping cockle burrs and stickers off your longer-haired bird dogs?
If not, would you happen to have any recommendations for removing stickers? My poor dog is almost hairless at the end of the season.
Thanks

We use this almost every time we go out with our griff. Sure seems to take a lot less hair with the cockle burrs and what not.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I passed a couple litters looking for the right coat on my dog. I hear ya.
^This. I have been very picky on coat qualities for my two PPs, and thankfully, Bob Farris has been accommodating for me on that. It took a few years for the right combo of characteristics to come together for me to take my most recent pup. The harsher the coat is, the fewer issues you'll have with burrs and snow ball buildup in their coat. Flat coats are better at this than one with a bit of curl or frizz. Shorter length also helps, but harshness is king.

My 6 yr old has a great, harsh coat that is very flat. So even though by the end of winter her coat grows out to 4-5" on her spine and 3-4" everywhere else, she rarely has issues with burrs (in AK or L48) or snow build up. My 9 month old is not quite as harsh (time will tell on how that matures), but it is just as flat and I doubt that it will get longer than 2-3" on her spine and 1-2" everywhere else. So far burrs haven't been an issue (but admittedly we don't have a big problem with that in AK, and she hasn't been to the L48 since she came home) and we'll see how she does this winter with snow-but so far, it's been very good. Lots of the dogs we hunt with (PP, DD, GWP, WPG, LM, SM, Brittany) have to end their winter hunts early due to snow balling in the coat.

OP
the rick snyder
My PP started out with a pretty slick coat, however, as she has aged her coat is getting longer. The main issue is her muzzle and her ears. I tried the show and shine with great results!!!
Thanks for all the input guys.

Fallbeard

FNG
^This. I have been very picky on coat qualities for my two PPs, and thankfully, Bob Farris has been accommodating for me on that. It took a few years for the right combo of characteristics to come together for me to take my most recent pup. The harsher the coat is, the fewer issues you'll have with burrs and snow ball buildup in their coat. Flat coats are better at this than one with a bit of curl or frizz. Shorter length also helps, but harshness is king.

My 6 yr old has a great, harsh coat that is very flat. So even though by the end of winter her coat grows out to 4-5" on her spine and 3-4" everywhere else, she rarely has issues with burrs (in AK or L48) or snow build up. My 9 month old is not quite as harsh (time will tell on how that matures), but it is just as flat and I doubt that it will get longer than 2-3" on her spine and 1-2" everywhere else. So far burrs haven't been an issue (but admittedly we don't have a big problem with that in AK, and she hasn't been to the L48 since she came home) and we'll see how she does this winter with snow-but so far, it's been very good. Lots of the dogs we hunt with (PP, DD, GWP, WPG, LM, SM, Brittany) have to end their winter hunts early due to snow balling in the coat.
I bet I saw your 9 month old pup. I visited Bob back in March and he had a liter in his garage at the time. Nice guy. Shared a ton of info on Pudelpointers.

ORHunter

WKR
The struggle is real. A detangler spray, comb, and some patience is the best option I've found.
5937d30406323ac369e74e77b851d29b.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
I bet I saw your 9 month old pup. I visited Bob back in March and he had a liter in his garage at the time. Nice guy. Shared a ton of info on Pudelpointers.
You probably did! She came to me on 3/31 and would've been the yellow collar female in that litter.

Tbuckus

WKR
Show sheen before the hunt helps. It also helps when getting cockleburrs out.
I’ve usedacomb and the other style already posted.
My best luck has been with a pair of scissors and a seam ripper. The seam ripper takes out less hair, can get in tight places, and doesn’t pull as much as using a comb