Puffy Pant Thoughts?

Tahoe1305

WKR
I hunted in TN this season and used for the first time as an underlayer my Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody between by thermals and my light weight camo layer. With the exception of making a tad bit of noise, I was really happy with them (noise didn't prevent deer from sneaking up on me at 10 yds twice).

Problem was, my legs were cold! Got me thinking if Patagonia made a nice lightweight puffy pant. Yup they do. Nano Puff pant. 11oz and 60g of primaloft gold about the same price as the other "hunting brands." (I can actually get them for about $100)

I like both synthetics and down, but looking at the Sitka Kelvin Light (discontinued) and FL Uncompahgre they appear to be pretty heavy and lack packability (some say), and then the down stuff (Kuiu) folks say is pricey and material lacks strength. I have personally always hated puffy material that shed and have felt this happens more with down than not down.

My thought is use the Patagonia's as an in between layer for those extra cold days, light, packable, warm enough. Anyone use these in a hunting situation or have thoughts on the idea? Feel free to suggest others as well.

Thanks!

I’d definitely pick them up, but I’ve already got a set of the FL puffy pants. I don’t walk anywhere in them so mine don’t make much noise.

Boiler

Lil-Rokslider
Not the same, but I "accidentally" bought a pair of zip off Kuiu pants really cheap, and ended up loving them. Very warm, very packable, and very easy to shed if you get too warm. Probably nowhere near as nice or warm as real puffy pants, but good option for under regular hunting pants.

Southernhunters

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Super Down Ultra Pants....best purchase I’ve ever made! Wear them as a mid layer over my base layer and under my outer layer and they are incredible! Lightweight, incredibly warm, and they compress down so there’s no bulk (my biggest pet peeve)......bottom line, I would highly recommend them as a mid layer on super cold days!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puffy pants are an excellent option for staying warm and keeping it lightweight. I think for a hundred bucks you can't go wrong if they are good quality. I agree with the southern hunter from above that the kuiu ultra pants are worth the coin if you can afford it. I tried the under armour ones that they posted the link for in the gear deals forum on this site and hated them. Fit was horrible and material was super cheap. One of the stitchings was even already coming out when i had barely taken them out of the plastic.

I have a pair of the kuiu Kenai pants. I initially didn’t like them because they are short, but they are super warm, and the full zips make them easy to take off. I also found they are super comfy pajamas when my air mattress popped

I hunted in TN this season and used for the first time as an underlayer my Patagonia Nano Puff Hoody between by thermals and my light weight camo layer. With the exception of making a tad bit of noise, I was really happy with them (noise didn't prevent deer from sneaking up on me at 10 yds twice).

Problem was, my legs were cold! Got me thinking if Patagonia made a nice lightweight puffy pant. Yup they do. Nano Puff pant. 11oz and 60g of primaloft gold about the same price as the other "hunting brands." (I can actually get them for about $100)

I like both synthetics and down, but looking at the Sitka Kelvin Light (discontinued) and FL Uncompahgre they appear to be pretty heavy and lack packability (some say), and then the down stuff (Kuiu) folks say is pricey and material lacks strength. I have personally always hated puffy material that shed and have felt this happens more with down than not down.

My thought is use the Patagonia's as an in between layer for those extra cold days, light, packable, warm enough. Anyone use these in a hunting situation or have thoughts on the idea? Feel free to suggest others as well.

Thanks!

I have a pair of the Kryptek Kratos pants I think they are. I will carry those in my pack and once to my stand for whitetails I will throw the on if I need to. I have also thrown them on in my sleeping bag for extra wamth on a very cold late season deer hunt.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I wear the stone glacier puffy pants when duck/goose hunting. Once i stop moving, I just get cold, and then cranky. I’ll wear a merino long john base layer, then the puffy pants then a water proof over pant. Life’s too short to be cold.....

Natevon04

FNG
Just got the Sitka Kelvin lite pants In the mail yesterday. The material seems like it would rip pretty easily but the seat and knees are tougher. They are not as puffy as I imagined either but they feel warm. My old man has the super Down Pro pants and i can say the SDP’s are a far better product but they also cost as much as most guys rifles....Haven’t had them out yet obviously. I’m 6’ 175 and the large is about right to fit over my hunting pants.

Terrapin

WKR
Not the same, but I "accidentally" bought a pair of zip off Kuiu pants really cheap, and ended up loving them. Very warm, very packable, and very easy to shed if you get too warm. Probably nowhere near as nice or warm as real puffy pants, but good option for under regular hunting pants.

That’s what I use as well... fit kinda like long, warm diapers. I put them on over the top of my pants when I stop hiking, or under a shell if it’s ugly out.

The other thing I like are fleece wader pants. Not as light as a puffy, but nice and warm.

I own a two pair of Sitka. One is an xl and I have used it under pants as an insulating layer. I have done stand sits down to 15* or so and been fairly warm. I also have a pair of xxl that I bought to wear as overpants. They work great but are noisy for whitetail on the outside. You will sweat if you are too active in them. I also get a lot of mileage out of a pair of expedition weight fleece bottoms. I have worn them in the 20s and been ok.

jbwright

WKR
Classified Approved
I’d definitely pick them up, but I’ve already got a set of the FL puffy pants. I don’t walk anywhere in them so mine don’t make much noise.
Same, if you’re treestand hunting and walking to your stand with them I think you should try it out. I’d assume you’d have an outer layer over them?