Puffy Pants! Many pants enter, 1 pant leaves!

Okay, okay! I know, Puffy pants have been talked about a lot, but lets go!

If you have experience with a particular pair, what conditions did you use them in, did you like it, pro's/cons? Did you/ do you wish you would have gone with a different pants?

I'm wanting to buy a pair, and can't decide. Money is a factor, but I believe in buying good quality product that will last and perform.

What would be your top list of puffy pants? I've looked at Anchor Point by BlackOvis, GearGooseFeet, Sitka, Kuiu, etc. I want down because the packableness, but durable as well. Don't plan to hike. They are gonna be a glassing piece, and sleeping bag boost if temps drop real low.

And GO!

I’ve had:

Kuiu
First lite (synthetic)
Goose feet
Stone glacier

I still have the stone glacier. I like the face fabric they use, the amount of insulation is in the sweet spot for warmth/packability/weight. I like their down products overall. Sleeping bag is nice too.

I didn’t think kuiu were warm enough. The goose feet pants I designed were overkill and I didn’t allow enough room for layering so they were too small.

I've had:

Gray Army Surplus ECWS ones
Kuiu Ultra
Stone Glacier

Army surplus ones were exactly what you'd expect for $30. Durable, but bulky and heavy. Take up about the size of a volleyball in your pack and weigh 32oz.

Kuiu ultra were super light, but surprisingly warm for how light they were. They were actually "non bulky" (for lack of a better term) enough that I often wore them under my pants. Pull my pants down, zip them on, and pull my pants back up over them. Super nice if you are sitting in snow or wet, and I think it actually helps the insulation work. Similar to wearing them under rain pants. Anyway, sold them and got the stone glaciers based solely off the specs..

Still have the stone glaciers and like them. They are definitely stuffed full of insulation - hold them up to the light next to the kuius and there is a huge difference. They stuff down too the size of about a nalgene bottle. The zippers are a little bulkier than the kuius as they have like two way zippers on them, which aren't quite as user friendly, but work just fine. The outer fabric is thicker than the kuius. They are also lighter than advertised. SG says they are 16oz and I have them in a size Large and they weigh under 12. The downside is that I can't wear them under my pants. I suppose they would fit if I stuffed them in as I pulled my pants back up, but not really worth the hassle.

The Black Ovis ones intrigue me, but I'm happy enough with the SGs that I'll just stick with them.

Get full side zippers.
I have the UnderArmor due to a sale they had with ridiculously low pricing. They are packed with down and very puffy. Subsequently, very warm. However, they are not the treated down.

PCU lvl 7 pants (Patagonia)
Sitka
First Lite
Mountain Hardwear

PCUs were awesome, but not to pack. I was issued these, had to give them back.

Sitkas had promise, were a size too small.

First Lites were comfy and warm. Wore them in treestands and glassing. Hard to pack.

Mountain Hardwear are the pants I’ve kept. Full length zipper and reinforced knees and seat. Still not easy to pack.

choovhntr

WKR
I’ve had:

Kuiu
First lite (synthetic)
Goose feet
Stone glacier

I still have the stone glacier. I like the face fabric they use, the amount of insulation is in the sweet spot for warmth/packability/weight. I like their down products overall. Sleeping bag is nice too.

I didn’t think kuiu were warm enough. The goose feet pants I designed were overkill and I didn’t allow enough room for layering so they were too small.

How much fill did you put in the goose feet pants? Looking hard at ordering a set

huntnful

WKR
I have the kuiu lighter weight down pants and the stone glacier. They both serves a good purpose, but if I was to only ever use one pair, it would be the stone glacier. They're top notch.

I have 2 pairs of GooseFeet Gear and a pair of Kuiu SD puffy pants, and IMO, the Kuiu are junk when compared to the GFG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a set over army ones (bulky and heavy) and a set of Sitka kelvin lite pants. For just a glass piece, I would probably go down to save weight.

TBH I haven’t packed mine the last couple of years. When I needed glassing warmth, I have used a kifaru woobie and now a hill people serape to wrap my legs. You lose the ability to walk around in pants but gain some other utility as a throw and wrap around camp.

I have the KUIU super down pro and Kifaru Lost Park pants. Both are plenty warm for any reasonable scenario, glassing ect. Kifaru seems more durable but it's definitely heavy and doesn't pack down very small. KUIU pro are a good balance of performance vs weight/packability but they're probably overpriced.

I have the first light ones. I only use them when sitting on a stand and glassing, they are not made to walk in. my wife wears hers under her drysuit when we are whitewatering.

Ok thanks. I was thinking about going with 6 or 6.5 so that help me get a better idea of what would be too much.

Here’s what 6 oz. fill, baffle constructed, GFG look like next to Kuiu SD.
c003178f1570a4b810d6438e97342037.jpg

choovhntr

WKR
Here’s what 6 oz. fill, baffle constructed, GFG look like next to Kuiu SD.
c003178f1570a4b810d6438e97342037.jpg

Thanks for that pic. That’s pretty crazy considering kuiu sd is said to have around 5 oz fill. How is the compressibility of the gsg versus the SD with the loft being so much different?

Thanks for that pic. That’s pretty crazy considering kuiu sd is said to have around 5 oz fill. How is the compressibility of the gsg versus the SD with the loft being so much different?
They definitely don't compress as small as the Kuiu do, but I can still stuff them into a medium sized (6L), Mountain Laurel Designs DCF dry bag without any problem.

Are those the SD Ultra or Pro?
The pair I have are the originals, and I don't remember what they were called, but I think they just called them Super Down. They appear to be in between the Ultra's and Pro's, they're made/sewn like the Pro's, but fall in between the two as far as what they weigh (11 oz. for medium size).

aaron14

Lil-Rokslider
KUIU Super Down Pro are the best I've used. Seem like the best balance of warmth, durability, and weight.