puffy pants

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Any cheaper solution for puffy pants than Stone Glacier, Sitka, Kuiu, KIfaru etc? Ive droped so much $$ on expensive cloths from those companys already and only thing Im missing is some puffy pants, but not looking to drop another $200+ for them. I guess Ive come this far and should just eat the cost but theres gotta be something decent for $100-$125. Thank you

JMDavies

WKR
I know you asked for less expensive options but thought I'd mention Kifaru's pants. I've been pretty hard on mine. The reinforced butt and knees make them worth the price.

keller

WKR
I have Mountain hardware. Kuiu just started 25% off and free shipping on superdown ultra

Bobbyboe

WKR
I have Mountain hardware. Kuiu just started 25% off and free shipping on superdown ultra

I have to say, even with the 25% discount kuiu is running, their price on the superdown is criminal. The fill weight used in their superdown gear is so low! You can get an amazon or costco puffy with the same amount or more fill for 75% less money. Why anyone would pay $280 for 2oz of down, is beyond me.

As far as pants, Im in the same boat. Used gear may be a good option here. Puffy pants are just not used often, which should allow you to score cheap pants in great condition. Anyone know the weight on the military surplus puffy pants?

Rs3003

WKR
Any cheaper solution for puffy pants than Stone Glacier, Sitka, Kuiu, KIfaru etc? Ive droped so much $$ on expensive cloths from those companys already and only thing Im missing is some puffy pants, but not looking to drop another $200+ for them. I guess Ive come this far and should just eat the cost but theres gotta be something decent for $100-$125. Thank you
https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/catalogsearch/result/?q=Multicam+ They have 25% off also.

Tenstrike

Lil-Rokslider
I use Kelvin lite puffy pants for long sits, there was a pair in the classifieds the other day for $100.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
ebay/Amazon have some cheap nockoff type down pants. Some even have full side zips.

Superdoo

WKR
Ali Express and sometimes on Amazon you can find full zips for less than $70

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions fellas, I appreciate it. Ive never actually used Puffy pants but cant stop hearing how awesome they are for glassing in cold spots. I run a Kifaru Puffy parka and absolute love it up here in Alaska. Id want a full zip option so I never had to mess with taking boots off

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the M65. I have these bad boys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Militar...4b:m:mhsf7Jqc8fCZVFIIptqoP_g&var=640159975756

Wore them on an elk hunt in the 17-19 degree range over some Kuiu attacks when glassing. Plus sitting on a little zrest folding pad, I was fine. Not toasty, but not cold. Enough of room to slip on/off over boots.

Nice in the AM too when getting out of my super warm quilt and making breakfast, coffee, etc.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the M65. I have these bad boys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/US-Militar...4b:m:mhsf7Jqc8fCZVFIIptqoP_g&var=640159975756

Wore them on an elk hunt in the 17-19 degree range over some Kuiu attacks when glassing. Plus sitting on a little zrest folding pad, I was fine. Not toasty, but not cold. Enough of room to slip on/off over boots.

Nice in the AM too when getting out of my super warm quilt and making breakfast, coffee, etc.

You're a Quilt guy huh? I just cant seem to get up the nerve to replace my tried and true Mummy bag thats so damn warm. I like crawling into a bag and burrowing in when its cold. Are quilts really comparable?

Alegault

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 10 degree hammock gear quilt that is super warm and run it on a neoair xlite inside a borah gear bivy under a tarp into the 15's. I do have a 0 degree bag I might sub in if I was expecting 10 or below.

I'd say they're pretty comparable, but maybe running inside the bivy helps to that burrowing sense as do learning to use the straps the right way. I'm a side sleeper, so my one complaint is every 2nd night, I forget to cinch the top as I should and my shoulder pops out the top. I wake up at like 2am with a frozen shoulder. Pop that back in and I'm passed out again.

I brought a FL chamberlain and those M65's as well thinking I might need them the first time I ran the quilt in below freezing. Didn't reach for them once I was in the quilt.

I love the weight savings too. But a good nights sleep is worth extra weight/$$ so to each his own.

OP
L

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 10 degree hammock gear quilt that is super warm and run it on a neoair xlite inside a borah gear bivy under a tarp into the 15's. I do have a 0 degree bag I might sub in if I was expecting 10 or below.

I'd say they're pretty comparable, but maybe running inside the bivy helps to that burrowing sense as do learning to use the straps the right way. I'm a side sleeper, so my one complaint is every 2nd night, I forget to cinch the top as I should and my shoulder pops out the top. I wake up at like 2am with a frozen shoulder. Pop that back in and I'm passed out again.

I brought a FL chamberlain and those M65's as well thinking I might need them the first time I ran the quilt in below freezing. Didn't reach for them once I was in the quilt.

I love the weight savings too. But a good nights sleep is worth extra weight/$$ so to each his own.

Great reply thank you. I can see the biggest value to a quilt is as you stated weight and space savings for a back pack hunt. Normally I have the ability to use my SxS to get back and set up a nice base camp so I get spoiled bringing in everything but the kitchen sink. I have however set out from base camp to Spike camp for the night and find myself struggling to find space for everything.