Pulling oils out of euro mount

I have used a combination o f dawn and oxiclean (can't get the oxi on horns) i was working smaller skulls so they would get in a crock pot. Lots of low heating cycles (Keep warm setting) and time gets that grease pulled out. but it seems to take some time for sure. worked well on bobcats, bunnies, and beaver

I picked up a turkey fryer at the swap meet and used Dawn + water at 120° for several weeks, changing water daily as needed.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

JeffP_Or

WKR
To the point only bone remains - no meat, cartilage, or otherwise. Then start over with fresh water and degreaser [I still use dawn in my simmer].

If it looks good and clean, I have found that you can pull it out and dry it and any remaining grease will reappear as dark or yellowing spots within a week. Rinse and repeat process. As noted, no actual boiling.

Works best the more meat you get off before you start and the more of the brain that you can get out. Lots of oil in the brain, less time to get it all loose if there is less, used to not worry about it just throw it all in but it takes longer and you have to keep taking it off or the bone flakes before you get it clean. Soft loose bone breaks easy. for sure the bottom jaw and tongue, cheeks, and the eyes and whats behind to keep things moving

Something to keep in mind, the more grease you pull out of a skull the weaker you make the bone structure. Degreasing is important if you want a nice white skull that doesn't yellow in the future but if you overdo it you'll find flakes of bone under your mount over time and it will be more susceptible to cracking/breaking...definitely a bit of a balancing act.

i would respectfully disagree, its not about the oils that make it flakey, its about the heat to the bone and the decalcification that weakens the bones, and makes them crumble. the oil within the bone doesn't give strength, its the structure of the minerals in the bone that do that. If you leach the minerals your bone flakes, too much heat your bone flakes. Take the oil out not a problem.