Q - The Fix

low2497

FNG
Anyone been using The Fix by Q as their primary hunting rifle the past couple years? Beginning to plan some trips out west away from the eastern whitetail woods of TN and looking to add a new rifle to the stable. First trip is going to be antelope in WY next fall

Currently use a compact M70 7mm-08 that I love for maneuvering around in the hardwoods/treestand, but don't think it would be the most comfortable rifle to use for longer distances. I've been thinking this over and believe I want to get either a .308 or 6.5 Creed soon and then eventually a magnum setup (most likely 300wm). Seems like these 3 rifles would cover all my possible needs.

The Fix has my attention for a couple reasons..

1. Shorter barrel that is already threaded (Will be using suppressed)
2. Light weight and the folding stock seem like big benefits when having it attached to my pack
3. I find chassis style rifles more comfortable to be behind when shooting on the flat range but not sure how that would translate to hunting.
4. Cost. Found it in stock for $2,500. Not cheap by any means but now that Tikkas have went up in price, I would be creeping close to the Fix cost if I decided to replace the barrel and stock

Interested to hear some feedback from people who have been using them. Drawbacks that I'm not considering? Different recommendations?

I had a Q Fix and loved it. I can only think of 2 drawbacks. First is that it can be cold to carry. That didnt bother me but i can see where some would not like that. The second is a positive and a negative. That is the short barrel. It makes it very convenient especially with a silencer, but with it only offered in 6.5 cm and 308 it takes lower velocity cartridge and makes it slower. I loved mine and will buy another one, but you need to plug the numbers into a ballistic calculator and make sure it will do what you want it to do.

Last edited:
I wouldn't give them a dime. Overpriced stuff with poor QC and Kevin is a world class prick. Lots of issues with that company.
What QC problems have you had? I have several Q products and have never had a problem that I didnt cause. The one problem that I caused they fixed it no charge and no questions asked. I can see how Kevin might rub people the wrong way but he certainly takes care of his customers.

RobertLosekamp

Lil-Rokslider
What QC problems have you had? I have several Q products and have never had a problem that I didnt cause. The one problem that I caused they fixed it no charge and no questions asked. I can see how Kevin might rub people the wrong way but he certainly takes care of his customers.
Personally, none. Like I said I wouldn't give them a dime but there are a lot of photos of bad welds on their cans and posts about other issues out there. For a smaller company charging what they do I expect (close to) perfection.

Item #3 is my biggest gripe. He will take care of you so long as you do not question him or say something that could be interpreted as being critical of him, his products, or his operation. Do any of those things and all bets are off, including Kevin telling you to "STFU" if you ask about missed shipping deadlines. Unacceptable. There are too many options in the firearm industry to feed his narcissism imo.

That said, his products are cool and when they work as advertised they work well from what I've seen. My cousin has a few of his rifles and I enjoye shooting them but I'd never purchase one myself.

SloppyJ

WKR
Is it a cool concept? Yeah I think so, but I don't really consider a $3200 rifle that is inherently handicapped from the start a good purchase for western hunting. Having one in the south would be cool just due to the shot limitations that we face.

If I were going to do it, I'd rebarrel a rifle that I already owned with a 16" to 18" barrel and get a chassis with a folding stock. Those qualities are not something I look for in a hunting rig but I think that's your best bet. There's no need to reinvent the wheel or pay for the name. As you can tell it's quite the polarizing subject just based on the nature of the company.

If I wanted that style of weapon and I didn't want to make it myself, I would purchase a LaRue Siete where you get two quick change barrels for around the same price and you know the quality is there.

NSI

WKR
The Fix series are light and have the best (lightweight) folding precision stock design and magazine compatibility currently available.

Beyond that, things start to get difficult. While Kevin stands behind his product, getting it right often involves a trip back to New Hampshire. The chassis design is great on the range but suffers relative to a traditional stock in field employment. The bolt throw is short but not particularly pleasant/reassuring.

Between the Sig and the Q, the Q is clearly a better product even at its price. Between either and a properly set up Tikka in a good carbon stock, I'm not alone in my preference for the latter.

-J

AkRyan

WKR
Extremely over priced for what you get. I was honestly disappointed in the action feel on the fix vs the bolt on the sig cross.

Friends and I have been hunting with them for a few years now. I use 6 creedmoor and have had no issues out to 700yrds.
I love the compact and slim profile. It is cold to carry in the mornings and some design elements could have been done better but overall it's been a good rifle.
Sig cross is worth a look, cheaper , ai mags and now proof prefit barrels

elim

FNG
I have a Fix with both a 22" Proof carbon barrel and a 16" Proof barrel. For some reason the 22" barrel is perfectly centered in the forearm but the 16" does not sit center. I took the 16" apart and retorqued it all down again and same thing, sits the same way out of center. Any ideas why?

I have a Fix with both a 22" Proof carbon barrel and a 16" Proof barrel. For some reason the 22" barrel is perfectly centered in the forearm but the 16" does not sit center. I took the 16" apart and retorqued it all down again and same thing, sits the same way out of center. Any ideas why?
How does the 16” barrel shoot? Is the Q barrel centered?

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a Fix last year that had similar barrel situation. It's not a problem with the barrel but rather the reciever extension. Quick send off to New England all expenses paid and it was back in my hands within a week and a half totally fixed. Shout out to their CS, yes it was a pain, but they made it right and were a pleasure to deal with.

Probably most accurate 6 pound 308 win rifle there is, my favorite gun.

elim

FNG
I sent to Proof to have them look at. I have lots of Proof barrels but have never had to send something back to them . When I talked with them there were no questions just we will send you a return label and fix whatever might be wrong. Their customer service is top notch.