Quad vs Side by Side

tony

WKR
Been said, with the price of some quads and sides you can get a decent “beater” and still drive it to work. Some of those sides are as big as the truck pulling them.
I had an early 2000s arctic cat 300 that was a tank. 3 range manual trans, disc brakes, independent suspension. Had a winch and plow for the driveway.
Thought I needed a 4 wheeler, and sold it a few years later with maybe a 100 miles on it.

Hows the quality on those machines you see for sale at Lowe’s, tractor supply ?

I had to make the same decision as you and went with a quad. Honda Rubicon 520. There’s a lot of trails in CO that don’t allow more than 50” so I didn’t want to own something I couldn’t use everywhere.

fmyth

WKR
I don't like belt driven rigs due to the fact that if you blow a belt you could be in for a long walk. Although I believe Yamaha has a 5 year belt warranty.
I put 6k miles on my 2008 RZR 800, 11,400 on my 2014 RZR 900 and 2400 on my 2008 Rhino and have never blown a belt. My RZR 900 has been to the Glamis sand dunes 6 or more times on paddle tires. I do change my belts out at 3k miles and keep the old one in the machine as a spare. I can change a belt in my garage in 20 minutes and keep the tools to do it in the machine with the spare belt. Out on the trail in the rain and dark I'd guess I could still change the belt in less than an hour.

SCHUNTER73

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve spent a good bit of time on both. Each have advantages, but I normally prefer the quad. my uses are specifically whitetail and hog hunting and getting to out of the way fishing spots. My experiences in quads are that the rides is pretty rough. That’s specifically in various Polaris model sxs.

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
To me this is almost a "bow vs. rifle" question....each one has a time and place that they are going to be superior.

If I could have only one (I have both currently) I'd go with a quad. Sure they aren't as luxurious or comfortable as a Side by Side but they are more usable in a wide range of situations and a heck of lot easier to transport.

Some interesting comments above.

My experience has been a bit different:

I use a a 2012 RZR 800 50” model. Tow it in a 6’x12’ single axle cargo mate trailer that I camp in…(windows, RV door, insulated, etc). Towed with a F150 with a 5.0 l V-8, although I have used the F350 power stroke a bit too.

Have crossed rivers multiple times with water over the seat on northern BC caribou and moose hunts. No wet belt issues yet. I changed the belt just to get a spare and it looked brand new a few years ago, despite being 6 years old.

I’ve got a Yamaha Grizzly too….like it and plow snow with it, but for me the RZR is a lot more comfortable on a long ride. Spring bear hunting makes for long days trying to find where there is good boar sign to bowhunt later in the day.

The RZR will fit anywhere I use it and the small box and passenger seat are nice…wife and bird dog fit in the fall.

jhm2023

WKR
I've used both standard atv and sxs for personal use and work. For me and the areas I hunt, fish, and generally recreate, the average sxs just isn't making it. I like being off the beaten path and away from everyone and busted my own trails in. There are a lot of large rocks to navigate around and I really don't want to add a couple of feet of width to miles and miles of trails. I just went with, IMO, the best of both worlds and purchased a Can-am Outlander 6x6. ATV width to navigate the skinnier trails but still relatively comfortable 2up seating and a dump bed for gear and dead things. I also like the option to jump off if it rolls vs being stuck in the cab of a sxs.

For a while, we had an 88 Toyota pickup with a lift and 35s and could drive the roads to where I wanted without the need for trailering and then keep on going all the same places sxs were getting and do it with the heat cranking and more bed space. It looked a hell of a lot cooler too.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a disadvantage to belts?
Yes, With a belt drive your engine is turning a more or less a constant speed all the time, say 5000 rpm. It is LOUD! You use basically the same amount of fuel whether your going 15mph or 40 mph so your either getting 50 miles per tank or 150 miles per tank depending how fast your going. I have a 900 cc Polaris and had the local muffler shop add an extra muffler on but it's not much difference except at idle. My dream machine would be a Honda or Yamaha 600-900cc, real transmission with an automatic clutch somewhat like a Honda Rancher, 50", good ground clearance, and styled like a RZR instead of a utility ranch rig such as the Pioneer. Then a guy could putt around the forest service roads without turning 5000 rpm while running all wildlife away in a 5 mile radius.

Yes, With a belt drive your engine is turning a more or less a constant speed all the time, say 5000 rpm. It is LOUD! You use basically the same amount of fuel whether your going 15mph or 40 mph so your either getting 50 miles per tank or 150 miles per tank depending how fast your going. I have a 900 cc Polaris and had the local muffler shop add an extra muffler on but it's not much difference except at idle. My dream machine would be a Honda or Yamaha 600-900cc, real transmission with an automatic clutch somewhat like a Honda Rancher, 50", good ground clearance, and styled like a RZR instead of a utility ranch rig such as the Pioneer. Then a guy could putt around the forest service roads without turning 5000 rpm while running all wildlife away in a 5 mile radius.
I agree with you 100% on the RPM with belts...seems my RZR runs about 3,000 to 4,000 RPMs whether I need that kind of power or not...and usually don't need the power it produces at that RPM. The high
RPM reduces engine life vs what a Honda style auto clutch/transmission unit offers.

As per the noise, I put on a Kolpin second muffler about two weeks after I bought the RZR 800...helped a whole bunch, lowering the 3,000 RPM noise level at my ear by 7 decibels per my sound app on the iPhone. Allows me to talk to a passenger while driving, etc. I moved the spark arrestor to the Kolpin so it was at the end of the line and it fit perfectly.

Last edited:

eshunt

Lil-Rokslider
I have both. Bought the SxS two years ago when my daughter was born. Now I don't use the quad anymore. We love going out as a family in the SxS and it's a much smoother ride than any other vehicle I've owned on rough dirt roads and trails. Saves a lot of wear and tear on my truck.

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I have a quad but have ridden in plenty of side by sides. The side by sides are more comfortable and have more storage, but cost a lot more. Eventually I’ll get one with a 60 or 64 inch width to go along with my quad. I’ll keep the quad for width restricted trails, or trips where I don’t want to haul much.

Jeff4x

FNG
If you have a family or plan on one a sxs is hard to beat and can be used for fun recreation when not hunting.

I’ve been very happy with my CanAm Maverick Trail 1000. The majority of trails in my area are 50” or else I would have opted for a bigger machine for more storage and comfort.

It’s nice having the ability to haul in/out gear with a UTV bed. Can even put a small storage rack off the hitch. Most of my buddies don’t have a machine so the ability to take a friend along is nice. Another plus is the comfort of riding behind a windshield and having the option to add a heater for those late season hunts.

However, a UTV is substantially heavier and more expensive than an ATV. Also, a higher center of gravity makes it more prone to tipping. We did a late season hunt with my UTV and my friend’s ATV last year. It snowed a substantial amount, to the point where we had to leave the UTV behind because of the weight and constantly getting high centered. My buddy on the ATV was able to pressure down and drive out since his machine weighed 500lbs less.

HaydenB

Lil-Rokslider
I have a quad now but when my kids get a little bigger I’ll probably get a sxs. I like the idea of them being able to go with me.

Luked

WKR
I have had both.
We bought a new SXS a few years ago more as a toy than anything.
It was ok but hunting wise for me you better have a big area to use it on in my opinion. ATV is about the same. For us we didnt have ground to use it on so it was really just a toy.

But I will say the ATV is much much cheaper, Cheaper to maintain. and more nimble in where we would go.
The SXS has more room and more hauling weight for people or gear.

I dont think one is better than the other really. Each person might have a different use.
If i had a big farm or ranch I would have a SXS.

mrcvelo

FNG
I have a maverick x3 four seater and love it. Most of my riding is done outside of hunting season and max it's me + 2 other people hunting, so then we just put our gear in the empty seat. I'm looking at getting a roof rack as well to carry rifles on it which will free up more space, but the ride quality is better than the more utility oriented machines and I have animals broken down by the tie I get back to the SXS anyway.