Quad vs Side by Side

The Pro 4x is pretty decent. And the OP already stated his use which didnt seem like tough off roading.
The difference is speed, what a good highway vehicle can do without beating the piss out of it at 5 mph a quad or sxs can do at 30 mph. Doesn't mean shit for road hunting but it matters when accessing a hunt area from base camp that might be 20 miles away. Less than an hour is way better than 4 hours, especially if you hunt from a base camp and like sleep.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Agree with all the above, it really depends on your needs and how you intend to use it. I’m in West Texas, we use SXS’s on private ranches and leases 100% of the time. I mix in a couple of western hunts every year, and it varies on what I’m after/state I’m hunting in/access whether I drag it along or not.

That said, probably 90% my out of state hunts I’m taking it with me. They make traveling dirt roads and the like so much smoother and faster, there really is no downside to taking one with you except for dragging a trailer and more tires. It comes in handy more often than not, and I’ve been without it once in Wyoming when I reaaaaaally, reaaaaaally needed it due to fouled up, muddy roads.

I’ve had quads, and they have their place. I am actually in the market for a nice used quad so that I’m able to take both with me out of state. The only time I’d ever use a quad over a SXS is if trails happen to be 50” restricted, which does happen occasionally.

If I can only have one, it’s going to be SXS every single time despite the added cost. They are incredibly comfortable, fast, and more capable than I care to admit. The added benefit of being able to take 3 other hunters with me is also a huge benefit. You can go as basic or bouje as you’d like. I have no doors and just front/back glass with no heating or AC. My buddies have fully cabbed versions - while the heat is nice, the AC leaves something to be desired and we more often than not roll with the windows down.

Aother thing that comes in handy is pulling the SXS on a trailer to wherever I’m going, then unloading it and hooking the trailer back up to the SXS. We do this regularly at the leases when filling corn and the like - and we’ve hauled a wall tent camp pretty deep on western hunts this way as well.

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Couple of pictures of my rig. Should be noted - I abuse mine… the opposite of a garage queen, and it’s held up well. I’ve replaced a couple of axles, but otherwise it has handled everything. Just keep up with preventative maintenance and power wash it after heavy use. Mud, ice, and the like will build up and ruin a nice machine in a hurry.

Attachments

• IMG_9053.jpeg
    IMG_9053.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0423.jpeg
    IMG_0423.jpeg
    384.2 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8050.jpeg
    IMG_8050.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 60

JWZIMMER

FNG
Like others have said it all about the application. I have kids and we use the sxs for hunting, fishing, camping, habitat improvement, and farm chores. The ability to carry equipment, gear, and kiddos made it a no brainer for me.

WMag338

WKR
I've used both out west. SXS is def more comfortable and can take more people and gear. Quad is nice for 1 person + gear. I use a drop basket on my Honda Foreman and it works great for packs, camping gear, etc.

One strong plus for the quad is its air/oil cooled and shaft driven. Most all SXS are liquid cooled/belt driven. Belts can break and radiators can run hot. Usually at less than opportune times. Ask me how I know.

One thing to keep in mind. When all these $20,000 SXS break down, over heat, break an axle, fuel injection screws up...my old carburated, shaft driven, air cooled honda foreman will still be on the mountain.

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I have both and I rarely use the ATV. The SXS is much more comfortable, rides better, has more storage, and has a windshield and a roof. In cold weather, the windshield provides a much better experience. Of course, in really cold weather, a SXS can be fully enclosed. We use it around the farm daily and couldn't live without it. I am a big fan of Honda as they are extremely reliable.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a UTV, Quad, Motorcycle, Jeep, and Truck. The quad and truck are by far the most used/most comfortable when accessing everything in the woods. FS Roads, legal trails, etc… and would be the last to go. I mounted a big waterproof box on the back of my quad and it is very useful. Also very comfortable 2-up riding. I would rank them in this order of usefulness:
Truck
Quad
Jeep
UTV
Motorcycle

I think it really depends on your location and use. I can access western backcountry from my house, so its a much different set up than some.

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Roxor take a look might not go on trails probably get more miles out of them than UTVs or ATVs.

Rich M

WKR
Id go with a sxs. 4 wheeler is good for solo running but passengers and gear deserve a sxs. Lots more comfy.

CCooper

WKR
As a guy who has both- they both have advantages, but I would take the quad almost every time. I have gone to 2- up's on the quads for the Mrs. and I, the longer wheelbase is nice for stability and overall ride quality. The SXS is awesome for hauling people and having a cab/ windshield for the winter. I do find myself using the quads around the house more. As mentioned above 50" trail systems are a consideration- one of the places I hunt converted all the trails and bridges/ cattle guards on a trail system to 50" several years ago and posted new signage. I will likely never buy another SXS, at this point I would opt for a Taco to fill that void.

Reactions: TVW
I hope you like heat, dust, and a shitty ride. I sold my pioneer 1000 and got a can am defender. Night and day better machine.
If I was to buy another one, I'd go with the Defender. The Pioneer is hot, dusty in the summer and cold and breezy in the winter. Unless you go for the factory enclosure, sealing one up is impossible.

WCB

WKR
My dad has a Can Am Defender Max Limited. While heat, air, Bose sound system etc is really nice. Or even my sisters plain jane defender with doors is nice...imo for storage, maneuverability, hauling, etc. I would pick up a mid size 4wheeler. I have an older Yamaha Bruin 350. Used it out west, use it to plow snow, ice fish, and have hauled more snow goose decoys and gear in muddy cold, frozen, sloppy fields than I want to think about. Get stuck less, easier to get out and way more maneuverable. Hell two guys can literally pick it up.

However, if you are literally just using it in places where full size trucks can drive then probably go for a sxs. Also, more trail restrictions where I hunt on SxS than 4wheeler.

Between the OP's thread title, I would choose a SxS. I have a pioneer 1000-5, been bullet proof for over 2k miles albeit the suspension sucked until I put Fox shocks on it.

It's a hard no on a small pickup over a SxS. Not even in the same ballpark as far as capability or comfort.

IdahoBeav

WKR
As referenced by another, the 2-track trail width on NFS land is a must, so that limits to 50". I have no experience with a narrow trail SXS, but I do regularly see them out on the 2-track trails. However, I imagine that wheel visibility and center of gravity could be an issue when the trail is rough, narrow, and is on a sidehill with a downhill side overlooking hundreds of feet.

On flatter ground, it's an easy choice for a single machine- SXS, but a SXS is at least twice the price of most wheelers. For my needs, I prefer each man in the group has a wheeler, and 2 (sometimes 3 or 4 depending on the SXS) wheelers will fit in the trailer space a SXS requires. Another benefit to the multiple wheeler setup is that in the case of a breakdown, you have another set of wheels to ride out on.

Last edited:
SXS unless there's a width restriction. Put all the racks and bungee cords ya want on a quad and still the first thing you'll do at the end of a ride is check to see what you lost along the way. Gear, supplies, legitimate recovery tools, plus an animal is so much easier with a SXS