Quality arrows without paying for an expensive “component” system

I have used the Rampages before and didn't like the half in half out either, believe it cost me an animal, too. I ended up switching to the Deep Impacts. I have been pleased with them, killed 3 bulls in 3 seasons. I've yet to break an arrow.

I’m wanting to switch things up from the Black Eagles I’ve been shooting last several years. They’ve worked but I’ve been using Renegades and Rampages with the half outs, and they suck. I have heard you can use 5mm Brass HIT inserts with them, but I dry fitted some into a 300 spine renegade and there seemed to be some “slop” to it. Not sure if you just compensate for that with expoxy or glue?
So I am looking for a good quality arrow setup with either HIT or conventional inserts, albeit maybe steel or brass. I don’t want to spend 150 on shafts to turn around and have to spend another 100 on components!!
What are some of the best shaft/ component setups out there that don’t cost an arm and a leg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the spartan has a great insert system stock

^^^^This. I’m over the skinny shaft craze. Stock Spartans are all one needs. Love the Valkyrie and Iron will systems but just not worth the $$$. If you have both around, lay a .300 spine spartan next to an Easton axis in 300 spine. Ask yourself what you are gaining with that extra $10 insert and collar. We won’t even bring spine consistency into the equation.
To each his own though tons of successes out there with axis arrows. As said earlier the prep work is key squaring and then spinning with components before installing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have both around, lay a .300 spine spartan next to an Easton axis in 300 spine. Ask yourself what you are gaining with that extra $10 insert and collar.
From my experience you wouldn't be gaining much from aftermarket inserts and collars, but you would be gaining a more durable arrow with the Axis over the Spartan's. And that's comparing the Spartan 250's to the Axis 300's.

From my experience you wouldn't be gaining much from aftermarket inserts and collars, but you would be gaining a more durable arrow with the Axis over the Spartan's. And that's comparing the Spartan 250's to the Axis 300's.
I agree with that, I just like the 100% Carbon and, I feel, more consistent spine.

satchamo

WKR
^^^^This. I’m over the skinny shaft craze. Stock Spartans are all one needs. Love the Valkyrie and Iron will systems but just not worth the $$$. If you have both around, lay a .300 spine spartan next to an Easton axis in 300 spine. Ask yourself what you are gaining with that extra $10 insert and collar. We won’t even bring spine consistency into the equation.
To each his own though tons of successes out there with axis arrows. As said earlier the prep work is key squaring and then spinning with components before installing.

I’m starting to fall in line with this too… just ordered rampages but seriously considering dumping them for Spartans. I’m tired of buying collars on top of already expensive arrows and broadheads.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
So you don’t want to spend $125/ doz plus tax and shipping for an insert and collar system- BLASPHEMY!- grin

Guys seem so enamored with these I’m thinking that since I get a flat on my truck about every 4 years I’m going to develop a stainless steel ring that goes over my tires so that I will never get a flat….its pretty much the same thing as these collars but to a bigger market, eh?
Don't you get a flat tire every time you go driving?

agree, i shot 300 axis match grades for a lot of years, they are a great arrow, but the insert system on the spartan, as well as a much easier nock tuning process, i just stripped my left over axis arrows, there was 20 of them, and i wrapped and fletched them all and gave them to my brother in law, but i'm for sure sticking with the spartans.... they are exactly what i have been looking for out of my compound... sticking to rampage with my recurves

Trial153

WKR
Hence the reason I still have 8 dozen Uncut ACC prohunters with Brass H inserts to go with them all…

Last edited:
I just gave up on my ACC's a couple years ago- I had been holding some in the cabela's brand label but I sold them as I got down to my last 10...Awesome arrow

Trial153

WKR
I just gave up on my ACC's a couple years ago- I had been holding some in the cabela's brand label but I sold them as I got down to my last 10...Awesome arrow

Yes they are my favorite shaft ever. I have yet to have to nock tune one, and I have never had one have to get culled from a new dozen. I have lost count of the animals I have take with ACCs