Question for the Carnivore guys

It's a carnivore diet.. so not a whole lot of sugar going on there. If he's consuming lots of sugar still then it isn't a carnivore diet. Meat doesn't have carbs, eggs no carbs, cheese very minute amount of carbs, milk limited carbs. Again, the brain is much more reliant on sugar than it is caffeine. Sudden drop in sugar on an organ that uses 25-50% of the sugar your body utilizes is much more likely cause.

Just because Caffeine makes the headache go away doesn't mean his headache was from Caffeine withdrawal. Caffeine has been used to treat headaches for a long time, even in people who don't consume caffeine regularly. Also, not all sodas are caffeinated.
We will wait for the OP to chime in. I don't know how strict he is with the diet. Point is, clinically I'm not making assumptions. I'll wait for the OP to clarify the subjective data in question.

If someone withdrew caffeine from their diet and they report a HA, then consume caffeine to treat their HA, and the HA subsides, that is not clinically significant? LMAO.

Caffeine is used to treat some HAs, but not all HAs, lets be honest. But to state caffeine intake within this clinical context is moot, is incredulous.

To elaborate on that, the guy's caffeine intake that relieved the pain was Exedrin who literally coined themselves The Headache Medicine lol. So he's also got aspirin and acetaminophen onboard as well.
To elaborate even further.. caffeine only takes about an hour to go into effect after ingestion.. this guys headache didn't start subsiding until 6 hours later.. if it was caffeine related then the headache should've started going away within an hour or two of taking the caffeine lol.

180ls1

WKR
Its not a "possible contributor". If you tank your sugar (your brains primary energy source) you will experience headaches.

Caffeine is used to treat headaches in people that don't consume caffeine regularly also. Caffeine works by constricting the blood vessels in the brain and by doing so relieves headache pain. Thats why you see aspirin that also has caffeine in it. The caffeine will have this effect regardless of whether someone has a regular caffeine intake or not. So kind of a moot point that the headache went away with caffeine intake.

Let's make a bet for conservation, $25 to Howl.

If he has a normal dose of caffeine tomorrow AM and his headache symptoms diminish by 51% or more, you donate.

If less, I'll donate.

We will wait for the OP to chime in. I don't know how strict he is with the diet. Point is, clinically I'm not making assumptions. I'll wait for the OP to clarify the subjective data in question.

If someone withdrew caffeine from their diet and they report a HA, then consume caffeine to treat their HA, and the HA subsides, that is not clinically significant? LMAO.

Caffeine is used to treat some HAs, but not all HAs, lets be honest. But to state caffeine intake within this clinical context is moot, is incredulous.
Well seeing as caffeine only takes about an hour to take effect and that this guys headache didn't even start resolving until 6 hours later.. if it was the caffeine then the relief should've came about an hour or so after he took the caffeine. So no, I wouldn't say the fact that his headache resolving 5-6 hours later than it should've after taking caffeine clinically indicates that the caffeine was therapeutic.

Caffeine also only lasts about 4-5 hours in the body.. so by the time his headache was actually resolving.. the caffeine had already pretty much been used up.

So yes, your point is still moot. Because the onset of action and duration of the medication doesn't correlate with the resolution of symptoms.

And yea we do use caffeine to treat most regular headaches. Where did you go to med school lol?

If he has a normal dose of caffeine tomorrow AM and his headache symptoms diminish by 51% or more, you donate.

If less, I'll donate.
That won't work because his body is likely transitioning to ketosis, he'll probably feel great tomorrow either way.

If less, I'll donate.
Why would I take that bet? I've already explained to you that caffeine is used to treat headaches whether someone regularly ingests caffeine or not lol. Even if he never had caffeine in his life, caffeine would probably help resolve his headache lol. But again.. his headache didn't resolve until like 6 hours after he took the caffeine. If the caffeine was the issue.. the headache should've started resolving about an hour after taking it.. he also took exedrin there genius, which is a combination of two other pain relievers. You guys are hilarious.

Last edited:

180ls1

WKR
That won't work because his body is likely transitioning to ketosis, he'll probably feel great tomorrow either way.

It depends, keto flu and caffeine withdrawals both can last a week or so. We don't know the timeline so I think the odds of him feeling great are much lower than you think.

Why would I take that bet? I've already explained to you that caffeine is used to treat headaches whether someone regularly ingests caffeine or not lol. Even if he never had caffeine in his life, caffeine would probably help resolve his headache lol. But again.. his headache didn't resolve until like 6 hours after he took the caffeine. If the caffeine was the issue.. the headache should've started resolving about an hour after taking it.. he also took exedrin there genius, which is also a pain reliever. You guys are hilarious.

Because it's an easy $25 towards conservation whether you are right or wrong...

If this is your first time doing a low carb diet, make sure you keep your electrolytes up because your body tends to dump stored sodium when you go low carb and give you the 'keto flu.'

Since you don't like coffee, I'd recommend LMNT and caffeine pills. LMNT just released these and they taste awesome since you'll likely want some carbonation.

That won't work because his body is likely transitioning to ketosis, he'll probably feel great tomorrow either

It depends, keto flu and caffeine withdrawals both can last a week or so. We don't know the timeline so I think the odds of him feeling great are much lower than you think.

Because it's an easy $25 towards conservation whether you are right or wrong...
There's no way to prove who's right though lol. Again.... caffeine works for headaches whether you regularly ingest caffeine or not. Not sure what you aren't understanding about this lol.

But like I said, the evidence leans more toward it not being the caffeine.. seeing as he didn't see any resolution of symptoms until well after the medication should've taken effect.

This is true, especially for a first timer or if he slips and uses a seasoning with maltodextrin or sugar or whatever for his meals today, it can take a few days.

180ls1

WKR
There's no way to prove who's right though lol. Again.... caffeine works for headaches whether you regularly ingest caffeine or not. Not sure what you aren't understanding about this lol.

But like I said, the evidence leans more toward it not being the caffeine.. seeing as he didn't see any resolution of symptoms until well after the medication should've taken effect.

Let's just take his word for it.

Well seeing as caffeine only takes about an hour to take effect and that this guys headache didn't even start resolving until 6 hours later.. if it was the caffeine then the relief should've came about an hour or so after he took the caffeine. So no, I wouldn't say the fact that his headache resolving 5-6 hours later than it should've after taking caffeine clinically indicates that the caffeine was therapeutic.

Caffeine also only lasts about 4-5 hours in the body.. so by the time his headache was actually resolving.. the caffeine had already pretty much been used up.

So yes, your point is still moot. Because the onset of action and duration of the medication doesn't correlate with the resolution of symptoms.

And yea we do use caffeine to treat most regular headaches. Where did you go to med school lol?
You are referring to 1/2 life. 4-6 hours for caffeine. So no, the caffeine is not used up at the 4-5 hour mark. First 1/2 life at most. Yes, caffeine is used to treat some HA but not generally a first line choice.

I have had a caffeine withdrawal HA. S/p caffeine intake, not Excedrin nor combined with sugar, it took 3-4 hours to clear. I wish it would have cleared within one hour.

Let's just take his word for it.
I did. His words said that he didn't begin feeling resolution of symptoms until 6 hours after he took it. If the caffeine was effective, his symptoms would've resolved
You are referring to 1/2 life. 4-6 hours for caffeine. So no, the caffeine is not used up at the 4-5 hour mark. First 1/2 life at most. Yes, caffeine is used to treat some HA but not generally a first line choice.

I have had a caffeine withdrawal HA. S/p caffeine intake, not Excedrin nor combined with sugar, it took 3-4 hours to clear. I wish it would have cleared within one hour.
Most of the caffeine is pretty much used up after

Caffeine peaks at around an hour.. if he didn't get relief at peak, he's not magically going to get relief at 6 hours when most of the medication has been used up.

Your story is really irrelevant here, because you didn't also decide to cut your body off of sugar cold turkey. And Secondly, as I've stated multiple times here. That caffeine probably would've helped your headache whether it was from Caffeine withdrawal or not. Just because Caffeine alleviates the symptoms doesn't mean that caffeine deficit is the cause.

180ls1

WKR

Yeah, I have had a similar experience to you and the OP. If you miss the normal caffeine intake window by too far ingesting it later isn't an "instant" fix and can take hours to feel more normal again.