Questions Before SO Redcliff Order

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
About to order a Redcliff and just checking to see if there is anything current owners would reccomend I add as far as options or change about my order.

Planning to order:

Redcliff light
Large Ti Stove
Half liner
Carbon Pole

My plans are to use this shelter 75% of the time with 2 people and a stove and 25% with 3 people and stove. I only plan to use it on colder weather hunts and with the stove; I'll use my current set up when a stove isn't needed. I want to be able to keep packs and bows in the shelter at night if possible.

I've been using a floorless shelter for the last few years so not worried about needing a nest. Use will be 90% WY, AZ, CO, ID hunts. I do have a couple AK hunts planned in the next few years that I would likely use the Redcliff on.

Anything I'm missing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the sxl stove in mine per seek outsides recommendations. It works great. May want to look at upgrading the size. BUT with that being said, you might already be cramped on space if you are trying to do what your original post said, which was 3 plus stove plus gear. I can usually do 3 plus stove and woodpile but little gear in mine. I think adding in gear would be pretty tight. Good luck though. It’s an awesome shelter. As for Alaska though, invest in some good long stakes.

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all of the input! Going to give SO a call to discuss some of these options before ordering.

For those suggesting the SXL stove, is that mainly so you can use larger wood, better burn time, or something else?

MTarrowflinger

Lil-Rokslider
For those suggesting the SXL stove, is that mainly so you can use larger wood, better burn time, or something else?

Yes.

I like a bigger stove because it puts out more heat when needed, burns longer when needed, and can burn larger pieces of wood when needed.

Mustang06

FNG
I got the same set up you are looking at back in May. This is it set up for the first time doing the test burn to set the stove pipe.

I'm not saying DON'T get the SXL stove...but I didn't bother going up a size for this reason: for us, the stove is just to warm up in the morning, dry out gear if necessary, and go to sleep warm at night. no matter what size you get it isn't going to burn all night and keep heat. I found that the large heats up quick, produces good heat, just doesn't last really long. But I don't expect it to. That's my $.02. Oh, and I had them factory seam seal it...and they still sent me 2 tubes of sealer to touch it up in the future.
I'll be using this with 2 pals in Colorado first rifle elk season in the wilderness at 10,700'. Good Luck!!redcliff tent and large stove.jpg

OP
C

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
I got the same set up you are looking at back in May. This is it set up for the first time doing the test burn to set the stove pipe.

I'm not saying DON'T get the SXL stove...but I didn't bother going up a size for this reason: for us, the stove is just to warm up in the morning, dry out gear if necessary, and go to sleep warm at night. no matter what size you get it isn't going to burn all night and keep heat. I found that the large heats up quick, produces good heat, just doesn't last really long. But I don't expect it to. That's my $.02. Oh, and I had them factory seam seal it...and they still sent me 2 tubes of sealer to touch it up in the future.
I'll be using this with 2 pals in Colorado first rifle elk season in the wilderness at 10,700'. Good Luck!!View attachment 201337
This is basically what I was thinking. Thanks!

Lawnboi

WKR
If your taking the time to dink around with the stove, and make wood, make it worth it and carry a big one.

A big stove isn’t so that you can get it to burn all night. It’s so you don’t have to break down sticks tiny to feed it, and the box lets you really fill it and get that quick heat your going to want.

PredatorX

WKR
What are you using?

I'm just using the aluminum pole. I feel the aluminum might be stronger but could be wrong. You also want to keep a little distance from the carbon pole if running a stove. I think I'd rather have screens on my Tipi than the carbon pole.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PredatorX

WKR
I must be the only dude that keeps it going all night. Every 2.5-3 hours is no big deal to me. Heck most of the time I'm trying to load it from the cot!

+1 on the sxl stove too. Love mine and it has s big box. I've loaded some giant splits in it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer the SXL over the large for all the reasons you mentioned. I’m not saying the large is a poor choice at all. I just figured if I was going to carry a stove, the increase in log size and burn time was worth the ounces (and price increase). Like others mention, it was never intended to be the sole source of warmth.