Quiver on or off for western hunting

Quiver on or off for western hunting

• Total voters

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bill do you find the tune of your bow change at all when taking it off? When I have a full quiver on I have to move my side bar out a good 5-6” from the bow to balance. I would rather run it closer (and can when the quiver is off) , but hate it when my bow doesn’t sit in the middle naturally. I suppose I could add more weight to the back.
I tune by bow with the quiver off, since this is how I'm going to shoot long distance. Then I just check to make sure broadheads are hitting good with the quiver on our to 60 yards. I would tune you bow the way you plan to hunt with it.

I’m considering the new tight spot two piece for my western hunts. I never practice with a quiver but all the cool shit I’ve killed out west have been with it on lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are as good as Randy Ulmer then shoot your bow however you want.... For me the quiver stays on year around. I like having all my arrows right there, the critters I have whacked never knew the difference.

Gotta say I‘m in Randy Ulmer‘s Camp on this one. Experimented with it both ways over the years but I clearly shoot better with the quiver off. The quiver definitely increases torque (very pronounced in the wind) as well as noise. Even though I take it off, it is always with me - tried a Cat quiver a few times and kind of like it. I’m also kind of crazy about having some practice sessions as close to hunting conditions as possible - with the same clothing and gear on that I‘ll be stalking in. The moment of truth is no time to discover that something binds, constricts, or is just in the way.

Kentk

FNG
Quiver stays on all year.

Last year on day one elk hunting my octane quiver (twist and lock) fell off walking through the bush. I walked the same 5 mile loop half a dozen times and never found it. Not only did I have pass on an opportunity but it was also an expensive mistake.
I have switched to a tight spot which feels much more secure.

Whatever your quiver style is make sure you check that it is secure.

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I used to shoot quiver on but have switched. The one thing i have found in archery is consistency is king for accuracy and tune. Shooting with the quiver off is the only way I have found to be the most consistent. When I shot with the quiver on used to shoot with a full quiver minus 1 arrow. But as I hunted more I realized i would find myself shooting with less arrows in my quiver (ie dropped an arrow, follow up shot, "gasp" I missed) more than i had expected so I changed to quiver off. The benefits of a lighter bow (less weight to offset quiver full of arrows) and less wind drift were side benefits. I do practice with my quiver attached and find, out to 40 yards I am still really accurate even with my broadheads. For me shooting past 40 yards is seldom a shot I take quickly so removing my quiver has not been a problem.
Cheers

For the last several seasons I’ve shot with a Tight Spot quiver, and front and back bar stabilizers. Last year after averaging 10 miles a day in the mountains, I decided to try to lose some carrying weight on the rig. Took the plunge this year and bought a Quivalizer to try out. After spending some time with it I am sold. Basically took the place of my front and back bars and lightened the load a noticeable difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
my hunts are all public land, western US.
When spot-n-stalking, taking brief stands on trails etc, my quiver is on the bow 90% of the time.

The 10% is when on stand, ground or tree saddle, for lengthy times or late afternoon until dusk sit, often remove my Tightspot quiver, especially if windy. But also remove my V side-rear bar, just the front bar stabilizer is on the V-bracket. Side bar goes into pack, which is also taken off and set down. Quiver near my side with one arrow loosened a bit, in case a 2nd arrow needed fast, which has only happened 1x in all the years.
Shoot my best at distance making these adjustments, again especially if breezy.

2020 AZ OTC Muley buck in Avatar, was taken at 67 yards on a gusty, blustery day. All other hunters had called it a day, most stayed in camp after 12noon from a tough morning of weather. I'd been sitting my natural ground stand for 4+ hours since 1pm, comfortable with pack & quiver on ground at my side. Close to dusk, wind died down but consistent at 15mph but not gusting anymore. Buck went 50 yards and piled up, expired in <30seconds after the pass-thru shot.

The Iron Will S 125gr BH did the job, thanks Bill V !

Last edited:

Coltsp100

FNG
I never take mine off but I'll share a story about a flatlander that is a competitive archer that came out for an elk hunt.
He insisted that he got the most out of his bow by never shooting with the quiver on. Had been doing it for years hunting whitetails out of the trees and worked great. When he came out elk hunting, he had the same strategy. One evening he was on the edge of the timber on the top of a bowl as the elk came out of the timber. The bull strayed over near him but he had a chance to close the distance by 10 yards so he dropped his pack and quiver to do just that. Got closer, got a shot but missed high due to the steep angle. Arrow went past and down the hill without really spooking the bull. He got the privilege to watch the bull bugle and chase cows while his quiver was back up the hill without ever getting another chance the whole trip.
makes your stomach sick thinking about being in that situation.

Luked

WKR
Hey guys, I heard Randy Ulmer on a podcast saying he takes his quiver off for spot and stalk mule deer. He said he loops it into a thin nylon belt. I also found this video where he describes his process (see link below). I've always shot with my quiver on. Even when hunting whitetails from a stand in Texas this year, I kept my quiver on. He makes a strong case, saying a quiver adds weight that you need to counter balance, acts as a sail in the wind, and increases shot noise. I'm thinking for elk you could strap the quiver to the side of your pack when sneaking through the timber or calling as the belt idea probably wouldn't work for run and gun elk.

I'm thinking I'll practice without a quiver this year and see if it improves my shooting and if so I'll give it a whirl hunting this fall. What are your thoughts? If you shoot without a quiver for western hunting, please describe your quiver set-up and the species you're after.

Quiver on for me. Mine right now is a 2 piece quiver. But at the same time all i have ever done is leave the quiver on. I want to know where my stuff is at if i need a follow up shot. Dont want to be looking or reaching for an arrow.
I also practice with a full quiver of arrows in mine also.

I either run a Quivalizer or shoot with the quiver off. I hate the balance of my bows with a quiver on, and it makes it even harder to shoot in any wind. Only time the quiver is on my bow is when it’s being packed. Will be using the Total Peep hip quiver adapter this season.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
I always keep my quiver on for elk hunting. To mobile to bother with taking it off if I think I'm going to get a shot. Guarantee I'd walk off without it at some point if I started taking it off for setups.

When elk season ends and I move to sitting for whitetail, then I always take it off once at my stand.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
My bow is already heavy enough and as I have gotten older, I no longer have my quiver on the bow and I am an Eastern hunter. It's different for everybody and sometimes you have to make a change whether you want to or not. However, if you are young and strong enough to stalk Elk then you can carry your quiver any way you want. I envy you.

Usually my quiver stays on up until the shot that way it's right next to me if a follow up shot is needed.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago,one could find a good hip hunting quiver just about anywhere but now, a search won't even bring one up.