Raccoons Raccoons Raccoons

I have endless Raccoons. I have literally taken 75 Coons off 1 acre. Yes, I am backed up to state land, but the coon population is ridiculous.
If I really try, I can put 3 sets next to each other, and I'd have 2 coons by morning.

Anyone else have a ridiculous population of coons ? In fact, I have 3 more on camera last night.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
It's not that bad here but it's nothing to get 7-8 coons on one pile of corn here around my house. Have had up to 12 at one time on trail camera. Deer hunters have pushed the houndsmen out of the game in most places and nobody traps here anymore unfortunately.

TSAMP

WKR
I've pulled more than I care for out of my mink traps. No jumbos either. Just 14lbers. I've found several dead this year. Actually watched one die from the treestand. I presume distemper or whatever disease floats around. I checked it out afterwards and found a couple other dead ones nearby on my walk out.

Agross

WKR
There are terrible around me as well. Not worth anything so nobody around here is trapping them. If I put out live traps they will be in them overnight about anywhere on my property.

Scottf270

WKR
They are getting a bit harder to find around here. Been trapping hard for 4 years now. Baiting for deer is illegal here so no corn piles.

I started trapping to help the turkeys and it's making a difference. Killed two mature toms last spring and saw numerous Jakes.

Last year on 100 acres I caught 27 nest predators in two weeks. This year I doubled my traps and after 3 days have only caught 4.

EdP

WKR
Trappers used to keep the numbers under control when the hides had some value. No more so mother nature will control overpopulation with disease. It is an unfortunate set of circumstances.

We sold fur back in December, and XL skinned coons got $10, L got $5, and everything else got $2. If they're that concentrated near you a man can at least pay for his gas while doing some conservation work for game birds. All it takes is an up front investment in some dog proofs, anchors, cat food, tail ringer, and a good skinning knife, but you can still make a little money over time if you're not strung out over a large area.

Lots of them around here these days, because none of the deer hunters will let us coon hunt anymore. We use to put a hurting on them.
My buddies and I were just talking the other day about how the fascination with horns and the growth of whitetail property leasing is reducing access to pretty much all other species in Iowa. Access to coon hunting and even squirrel hunting has dropped dramatically to prevent "my deer" from getting scared onto the neighbors. Sad.

About anywhere I go around here has an extremely dense population of coons. I've trapped and hunted with hounds in the past but I'm out of the game right now. Back in the day of peak fur prices, most of my family coon hunted with hounds every night after work. Now there's a dozen coons per feed pile and there's plenty of feed piles.

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of them around here these days, because none of the deer hunters will let us coon hunt anymore. We use to put a hurting on them.
I just don't understand that either. I let a guy coon hunt my farms and I got cell cam pictures of his dog blowing right past a group of bucks. 5 mins later the bucks came right back to the corn and that guy treed two coons at the end of the same ridge. I like to see people make full use of the resources whether I own it or the government does. I only hunt deer so there's no need in me holding everything else hostage.

Last edited:

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
As said above, lack of market value has killed the trapping and hunting of coons.

On my lease I trap and shoot all I can. It's appreciated by the land owner and his 100 acres of corn plus they're hard on my feeders.

Keep the dukes and marshmallows handy.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
I have endless Raccoons. I have literally taken 75 Coons off 1 acre. Yes, I am backed up to state land, but the coon population is ridiculous.
If I really try, I can put 3 sets next to each other, and I'd have 2 coons by morning.

Anyone else have a ridiculous population of coons ? In fact, I have 3 more on camera last night.
Bet you probably don`t have a successful turkey nest within 5 miles of your property. They may be " cute " but they are hell on wheels when it comes to being a predator.

one less here, today...
IMG_0500.jpeg

pirogue

WKR
Bet you probably don`t have a successful turkey nest within 5 miles of your property. They may be " cute " but they are hell on wheels when it comes to being a predator.
Yep, I think it’s easy to tell who doesn’t turkey hunt, or is in an area devoid of, or hopeless to ever have a turkey.

You guys have a favorite brand of dog proof trap? Just started setting some in my yard to keep the possums and coons away from the chickens but I need more. They seem sensitive to freezing.

You guys have a favorite brand of dog proof trap? Just started setting some in my yard to keep the possums and coons away from the chickens but I need more. They seem sensitive to freezing.
Freedom Brand FB1 is my personal favorite