Raccoons Raccoons Raccoons

Primary problem is the cat food bait getting wet, swelling, and freezing the ring in place. Saw a tip on that CCO channel to just lay the trap flat on the ground at end of chain to reduce moisture inside.
Gotcha, that makes sense, that shit will swell and make a mess when wet and then frozen I bet.

I caught that tip the other day too, very good channel and good dude.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Duke dp‘s and have caught a boat load of raccoons with them but I’ve heard good stuff about the No BS dp’s, they come ready to go with a wolf fang earth anchor.

Primary problem is the cat food bait getting wet, swelling, and freezing the ring in place. Saw a tip on that CCO channel to just lay the trap flat on the ground at end of chain to reduce moisture inside.
There’s these too… The bad reviews are due to false advertising on Amazon showing pictures of 3 caps and selling them individually.

Attachments

• IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    417.5 KB · Views: 26
I use the Duke dp‘s and have caught a boat load of raccoons with them but I’ve heard good stuff about the No BS dp’s, they come ready to go with a wolf fang earth anchor.
I like the cable anchors that @CCO uses. He fastens to trap chain j-hook and then hooks up to available saplings or cuts his own small logs for drags. Coons don’t go anywhere and they’re super fast to set/reset without pulling or digging earth anchors.

Scottf270

WKR
Another old sow coon with no tail today. That's 7 coon in 5 nights with 16 traps on 100 acres. Gonna pull everything tomorrow as we have heavy rain and below freezing temps coming for the next 10 to 12 days.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I like the cable anchors that @CCO uses. He fastens to trap chain j-hook and then hooks up to available saplings or cuts his own small logs for drags. Coons don’t go anywhere and they’re super fast to set/reset without pulling or digging earth anchors.
I make tree anchors out of snare cable similar to what CCO uses and they work awesome. Another good option is the pogo earth anchors that @Iowa Trapper on ytube uses, he runs 100’s of dp’s and he seems to pull them up pretty easy.

pirogue

WKR
Cables with loops on both ends are fast, and don’t matter if the ground is frozen or not. Small loop for trap swivel, larger loop just big enough for trap to fit thru. Loop around a sapling and go to the next one

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
Cables with loops on both ends are fast, and don’t matter if the ground is frozen or not. Small loop for trap swivel, larger loop just big enough for trap to fit thru. Loop around a sapling and go to the next one

What size cable? Is 1/8” overkill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Short Track
I make mine out of 3/32 which seems pretty standard but I don’t think 1/8 is overkill at all. They will only last longer and extra strength surely doesn’t hurt even though raccoons aren’t very strong.
Pound for pound, Raccoons are amazing strong. They literally rip open sheathing to get into an attic.

Scottf270

WKR
I buy a cheap 20' dog chain and cut in 4' sections. I use 2 thumb screw couplers. Wrap one end tight around a small tree and fasten the other end to the trap. I sometimes use concrete blocks as anchors in farm country fields when I can set out of my truck or UTV.

EdP

WKR

If you use a quick link to connect to the trap chain both loops can be small. Just be sure to snug the quick link with pliers. Loop around a sapling or dead branch or root wad but make sure that other saplings etc. can't be reached. The cable needs to run through one of it's loops so the loop pulls tight or you might find the catch up the tree.

Loop around a sapling or dead branch or root wad but make sure that other saplings etc. can't be reached.
Exactly. Okay to hard stake if no other stout brush, saplings, root balls, etc..., are nearby to give them leverage to pull out. If so, drag or toggle for the win.

Was watching some more videos last night, and am gonna get a half dozen 1.5s for trail blind sets. I've passed by tons of perfect locations for a blind next to a tree or other feature in the past, and I think these will be very productive.

I make tree anchors out of snare cable similar to what CCO uses and they work awesome. Another good option is the pogo earth anchors that @Iowa Trapper on ytube uses, he runs 100’s of dp’s and he seems to pull them up pretty easy.
I like the anchor system that @CCO uses for his canine sets too. The anchors are cast and slide over the driver that has a pull wire on it. He also adds a puller cable to the anchor with a loop big enough for a hay hook or similar to make pulling them easy. Basically, after he drives the anchor, the loop stays just above the ground. Not sure if that is a "pogo" or not, but they look like the nuts.

EDIT: I looked these up, and he's using the "finned super stake" for his canine sets. These have one eye for attaching cable to the chain and a second eye for the pull cable.

Last edited:

pirogue

WKR
If you use a quick link to connect to the trap chain both loops can be small. Just be sure to snug the quick link with pliers. Loop around a sapling or dead branch or root wad but make sure that other saplings etc. can't be reached. The cable needs to run through one of its loops so the loop pulls tight or you might find the catch up the tree.
Quick links and pliers are just extra crap to carry. The big loop goes on the tree end anyway, and can be put on back side of the tree, as easy as the front side. We’re talking coons, here.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I like the anchor system that @CCO uses for his canine sets too. The anchors are cast and slide over the driver that has a pull wire on it. He also adds a puller cable to the anchor with a loop big enough for a hay hook or similar to make pulling them easy. Basically, after he drives the anchor, the loop stays just above the ground. Not sure if that is a "pogo" or not, but they look like the nuts.

EDIT: I looked these up, and he's using the "finned super stake" for his canine sets. These have one eye for attaching cable to the chain and a second eye for the pull cable.
A pogo style earth anchor is basically just an earth anchor cable with a big washer at the end of them. They are super cheap to make they don’t seem that hard to pull up without digging them.

OP
Short Track
My coons are getting smarter. They will not enter a coni box anymore. All the bait is gone from in front of the box. and a cage they will not even go near.
Time for DP's.

mi650

WKR
Yep, I think it’s easy to tell who doesn’t turkey hunt, or is in an area devoid of, or hopeless to ever have a turkey.
I very rarely see turkeys on my land, 1 of my neighbors is practically overrun with them. I tracked a deer on his land 1 day and was dumbfounded by the amount of turkey sign. We have an overlap of archery deer & fall turkey seasons, so I get tags every fall, but only gotten 1.

I get rid of some coons here & there. Not a lot, but then I don't have very many of them around, either.

hXbbTAE.jpg