Raccoons Raccoons Raccoons

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
e13fb7816450249d8d5061438bb9eee5.jpg

Pretty boar. Do adolescents sometimes have short tails? Seems like a midsize coon, but has a pretty short tail - havent measured but probably 6”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
Couple questions for you guys that have been trapping for a while/

Ive had 6 dp sets out for a week or so now. Have only gotten 1 racoon. Using a manufactured bait called berry nuggets. Seems to be a lot of sign in the area, good amount of coon tracks. I have my traps 50-100 yds apart along a spring fed creek.

1- Is there a better bait to use? Ive seen fresh tracks close to my sets and they havent touched the bait.

2-Im trapping a good public spot with a mixture of hard woods, wooded draws, and prairie grasses. Whole place is 300 acres, but only about 50 acres is wooded, another 25 or so is draws. Should I expand my trapping area? Put more traps in general? It just seems like Im missing them. My line takes me about an hour to check because I always have some dirt hole sets out.

Any input is appreciated, Im just trying to learn everything I can!

Last edited:

TSAMP

WKR

Ive had 6 dp sets out for a week or so now. Have only gotten 1 racoon. Using a manufactured bait called berry nuggets. Seems to be a lot of sign in the area, good amount of coon tracks. I have my traps 50-100 yds apart along a spring fed creek.

1- Is there a better bait to use? Ive seen fresh tracks close to my sets and they havent touched the bait.

2-Im trapping a good public spot with a mixture of hard woods, wooded draws, and prairie grasses. Should I expand my trapping area? Put my traps in general? It just seems like Im missing them.

If you see sign, your in the right place. If your baits untouched, it's the wrong bait. Never known coons to be picky tho.

I caught a coon in a foothold a few weeks ago not 15 feet from sombodies dp trap. They must have put it in after I did my set and mine was not visible to them at all.

His dp was empty when I walked past. I like to think that coon ate it all then got caught on the exit by me on a blind set.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
If you see sign, your in the right place. If your baits untouched, it's the wrong bait. Never known coons to be picky tho.

I caught a coon in a foothold a few weeks ago not 15 feet from sombodies dp trap. They must have put it in after I did my set and mine was not visible to them at all.

His dp was empty when I walked past. I like to think that coon ate it all then got caught on the exit by me on a blind set.

Any recommendations for other bait to try?

Scottf270

WKR
I use small dog food, fill just to the inside trip lever. I put a small amount out in front of the trap about 4 to 6". I use liquid smoke in a spray bottle. I spray a bit on the bait out front and inside the trap itself. I buy a gallon off Amazon.

I like to use something as a "call" lure or smell. Others use fish oil, bacon grease, or kids fruit juice.

I would suggest branching out from the creek. I trap mostly in hardwoods and fields along logging trails, roads, paths. You can also look for little game paths to set along side.

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
I use small dog food, fill just to the inside trip lever. I put a small amount out in front of the trap about 4 to 6". I use liquid smoke in a spray bottle. I spray a bit on the bait out front and inside the trap itself. I buy a gallon off Amazon.

I like to use something as a "call" lure or smell. Others use fish oil, bacon grease, or kids fruit juice.

I would suggest branching out from the creek. I trap mostly in hardwoods and fields along logging trails, roads, paths. You can also look for little game paths to set along side.

Went with puppy sized dog food and liquid smoke. Have caught a coon every day for the last 3 days. Another trap that looked like a coon had pulled its foot out.

pirogue

WKR
A golf ball will do the same, as well as keep mice from stealing bait, and won't blow away
Another vote for golf balls. Living on the golf course provides plenty. I also drill about a 1” deep hole for adding fish oil, if I care to. They seem to have a favorite color(okay, a certain color piques thier interest more than others). I’ve just about determined they have a favorite brand. 😂
IMG_7560.jpeg

OP
Short Track
Coons are done for the season. Their fur is far from prime now. Caught a big 1 yesterday with just about summer fur.

hardsnow

FNG

2-Im trapping a good public spot with a mixture of hard woods, wooded draws, and prairie grasses. Whole place is 300 acres, but only about 50 acres is wooded, another 25 or so is draws. Should I expand my trapping area? Put more traps in general? It just seems like Im missing them. My line takes me about an hour to check because I always have some dirt hole sets out.

I live trap them on my property using marshmallows. I think they get in expecting an egg

Fire_9

WKR
Have you thought about trying to call them in? I've seen videos of guys doing it but have never tried it myself. Looks like a riot

hardsnow

FNG
Have you thought about trying to call them in? I've seen videos of guys doing it but have never tried it myself. Looks like a riot
I'm in a residential area so discharge of firearms is frowned upon. Could make for good archery practice though.
Call them with a predator call? I've had good results squirrel hunting with a squirrel call

Fire_9

WKR
I'm in a residential area so discharge of firearms is frowned upon. Could make for good archery practice though.
Call them with a predator call? I've had good results squirrel hunting with a squirrel call

Supposedly a 'raccoon squall' or basically raccoon fighting sounds brings them in quick and pissed off. Sounds like you need to invest in a suppressed 22

hardsnow

FNG
I do have a bunch of subsonic 22lr. I guess I should pick up a coon squal, have you heard of any decent app calls for raccoons?