Raccoons Raccoons Raccoons

Fire_9

WKR
I do have a bunch of subsonic 22lr. I guess I should pick up a coon squal, have you heard of any decent app calls for raccoons?
I haven't heard of any app calls but I'm sure they're out there. Looks like there are a few mouth calls as well. If you watch some videos on it, you'll definitely want to try is. I think a treestand about 5-6' off the ground and a quiet 22 would be a pretty fun setup

Foxpro callers have coon fighting and in distress sounds. They don't work every every set on a hollow tree, but when they work you'll have multiple coons pouring out of the tree. Be ready!

Bubbaj92

FNG
OP, I used to have lots of coons, price dropped to pretty much nothing so I just put night vision on my 22lr supressed and 17hmr supressed and go out plinking them. Lots of fun.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen em drop quick and I've seen em take a boat load off work to die. A shot to the head will do it pretty quick every time. Heart/lung shots are a little iffy in my experience. I've seen em take five or six shots that way and keep trucking and seen em drop after one. If I have a choice I shoot em in the head. They aren't as hard to kill as a possum.

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
Is a legal to trap them in your state, if not you ay want to explore that.

hardsnow

FNG
Is a legal to trap them in your state, if not you ay want to explore that.
Yes I can trap them without a trappers license if it is on my property. Which is what I have been doing for a few years.
I'm in Canada

Magma

Lil-Rokslider
Yes I can trap them without a trappers license if it is on my property. Which is what I have been doing for a few years.
I'm in Canada
My situation is very much like yours, i have an apple and a acorn tree in my backyard. believe me i have seen all kinds of squirrels.

hardsnow

FNG
My situation is very much like yours, i have an apple and a acorn tree in my backyard. believe me i have seen all kinds of squirrels.
I have two apple trees and a plum tree. The squirrels definitely do a number on the apples. When the apples are ripening I set 110 conibers and snares to keep the off the apples. I eat alot of squirrel in the fall! Haha

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
I have two apple trees and a plum tree. The squirrels definitely do a number on the apples. When the apples are ripening I set 110 conibers and snares to keep the off the apples. I eat alot of squirrel in the fall! Haha
Have you ever tried doing a connibear tree set for the squirrels on your apple trees?

Byard5

FNG
Couple questions for you guys that have been trapping for a while/

Ive had 6 dp sets out for a week or so now. Have only gotten 1 racoon. Using a manufactured bait called berry nuggets. Seems to be a lot of sign in the area, good amount of coon tracks. I have my traps 50-100 yds apart along a spring fed creek.

1- Is there a better bait to use? Ive seen fresh tracks close to my sets and they havent touched the bait.

2-Im trapping a good public spot with a mixture of hard woods, wooded draws, and prairie grasses. Whole place is 300 acres, but only about 50 acres is wooded, another 25 or so is draws. Should I expand my trapping area? Put more traps in general? It just seems like Im missing them. My line takes me about an hour to check because I always have some dirt hole sets out.

Any input is appreciated, Im just trying to learn everything I can!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have been using corn with some brown sugar poured on top in my dp traps. works a lot better than dog or cat food, cheap and easy!

Primal-Understanding

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up using puppy food with liquid smoke. Caught around 1 coon a day through the 6 traps. Had to pull the traps as I had more than I knew what to do with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honyock

WKR
We've trapped at least 40 coons since the first of the year in dog proof traps. One sardine down the pipe and a couple of small marshmallows does the trick for us. We set t-post around our deer feeders and attach the DP to it.

ihookem

FNG
I trap them every year on my 4 ac. Most years I get 15 or so... except the covid year. The grocery stores were so bare I figured I might be eating them soon. I use cheap catchup , any chicken grease. There are so many that in the spring time I see a few in the fields before it's even dark and never used to see that. I use a coon cuf trap. works real well. Sometimes I get an Opposum though. I kill the too. I do this to try to get rabbit numbers up , but never worked . I started putting out salt and the rabbits lick it and the numbers are doing better. They need salt .