Rain Pants - Zipped or Non-Zip?

Loper

WKR
I'm looking to get an inexpensive pair of rain pants. Last year there was a day on my hunt with a consistent light rain for most of the day. My hunting buddies saw the forecast and decided they didn't want to hunt that day and stayed inside at the AirBnB. I borrowed one guy;s Frogg Togg pants and headed out as I didn't have a set of pants. The Frogg Toggs kept me dry for the most part but were shredded by the end of the day as that material isn't made for hiking.

In the last 5 years of western hunting trips, this was my first rainy day I've had. I'm not looking to spend top dollar for a high end set of rain pants that I may only use once or twice in the next half decade. I've done some research here on the forum and the Marmot PreCip appears to be a decent pair of rain pants for the price. Now, I'm just trying to figure out if I should get a pair that zips or a non-zip pair. I would think the full zip pair would be easier to take off and on over existing pants. However, the non-zip pair might be better to keep dry as there wouldn't be any chance of water getting through the full length zippers.

What do you all like a full zip rain pant or no zips?

OP
L

Loper

WKR
That's 4 consecutive votes for zippers. Looks like that is what I'm going with. Thank you!

zpearo

FNG
Full length zippers are great and I like them on high quality pants. I probably wouldn't trust a full zip on cheap pants though. A high zip will still open up enough to let you pull it on over your boots too.

My recommendation would be to buy used excellent condition or clearance pants from a good brand through a good retailer (REI, including their online used gear shop; backcountry.com; steepandcheep.com) or from classifieds here. Test them in the shower when you get them.

OP
L

Loper

WKR
Good point on the zippers on inexpensive rain pants. Now I'm reconsidering. Might just go with non-zip pants. Thanks.

zpearo

FNG
Good point on the zippers on inexpensive rain pants. Now I'm reconsidering. Might just go with non-zip pants. Thanks.
I'd definitely get something you can put on over your boots if you use them for hunting. Get at least a half-zip.

Not sure of your size, but a few good options for reference:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zippers, at least 3/4 length non of that ankle high zip bs. Here’s a few to look for. Discontinued but still around used- kuiu ultra nx, kuiu teton. Not discontinued- the precip is ok, probably best budget option, OR Apollo (very similar to the precip), OR foray for something a little more robust, Kings Camo climatex, and Black Diamond stormline they’re a level up from the precip in performance most notably is the stretch fabric.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zippers also great for ventilation

Last edited:

Hippie Steve

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer pullovers, they are quick and quiet and less things to break in the backcountry. I run the Kryptek Jupiter series pants/jacket. You can find them on sale on various websites but they are a good quality for the price. They are light weight, quiet and pack easily. When you have multiple layers and multiple zippers, buttons or whatever, it breaks or is cumbersome when you really need it. Hope this helps.

PNWGATOR

WKR
The Marmot Precip pants with zippers are PERFECT for what you’re wanting your rain pants to do!

Steve Bethune and Scott Luber of Proving Trail Adventures use the Marmot Precip pants and jacket hiking into all seven Alaskan mountain ranges hunting sheep.

Seriously, the zippered Marmot‘s will exceed your expectations.

Two pieces of clothing I would never buy if it didn’t have full length side zippers, rain pants and base layers. Such a game changer when out in the field.

Jethro

WKR
Just for reference for you. My Precips have the 12” zipper. I can get them on without taking my boots off, but it is tight. Most times I cannot get the pants off without removing boots. I wear size 10 boots.

nobody

WKR
Another vote for full length zippers. I had a pair last year that had a mid-calf height zipper and they were a chore to get on and off. After that trip I immediately invested in some with hip high zippers. Totally worth the convenience