Ram Pickup CTD 6.7 vs Hemi 6.4

golfbum

WKR
Currently own (no note) a 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD with 82k on the clock. I am thinking about trading it in on a New 2022 2500 with 6.4 Hemi and 8speed. I tow an 8k pound trailer a handful of times a year and use the pickup for my daily commuter. So far I have not had any major issues with the cummins but keep reading about the emissions and after treatment of the newer diesel engines. Anyone have any input on if I would not be happy with the 6.4 instead of the 6.7. I do live in Utah so pull at elevation and in the mountains. I would be 6-8k out of pocket for the new Hemi in a very similar spec'd truck.

Any thoughts on the life of the 6.7 if I decided to keep it (deleting is not an option for me)

Thanks in advance!

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Having had a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi for 5 years now and having put thousands of miles pulling a 15,000 pound 5th wheel, many of which are from home in southern Missouri to the west coast, I can with honesty say I'm pleased with the performance I've seen. The 6spd tranny and 3.73 rear end leaves alot to be desired on take off but a non-issue in the newer 8spds.
Fuel mileage hauling seems to be in the 6-6.5 mpg average and maintenance costs have been nothing over the 80,000 miles of its life.
I came from the diesel world and have no desire to go back. Unless pulling over 20,000 pounds regularly I see no need in the headaches associated with modern diesels.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
I think you'd be plenty happy with the 6.4, based on your current needs. You'll get a truck that's 6 years newer, with better creature comforts, and a warranty.

How long is your commute? I only ask because it seems like the guys that have the most trouble with their diesels are the ones with short commutes, where the engine doesn't get up to temp. Also to figure out your possible fuel expenses, you'll get 3-5 mpg less with the gasser.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
I think you'd be plenty happy with the 6.4, based on your current needs. You'll get a truck that's 6 years newer, with better creature comforts, and a warranty.

How long is your commute? I only ask because it seems like the guys that have the most trouble with their diesels are the ones with short commutes, where the engine doesn't get up to temp. Also to figure out your possible fuel expenses, you'll get 3-5 mpg less with the gasser.
Thanks for bringing this up. My daily commute is about 15-18miles and the truck does get up to temp for about half of that. Highway commute going about 55-60mph

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
If your pulling a trailer I wouldn’t go to a back to a gasser. It’s better to have extra power for the times that you’ll need it then not have the power when you need it and be wishing you would have stayed with the diesel.

wyodan

WKR
Having literally just traded my Duramax for the 6.4 gasser, keep your diesel. I will probably be losing a bit of money getting back into a diesel after this purchase.

wyosteve

WKR
I have a '18 Cummins and a '19 Hemi Power Wagon with the 8 spd. auto for my daily driver. For the little you tow, I'd get rid of the diesel and go with the Hemi. The Hemi and 8 Spd. are perfect. Granted, I'm just under 30k miles on the Hemi, but I've not had one problem. Fuel mileage is surprisingly good and not much different than my diesel. I don't tow over 8k with the Hemi, but it does a good job.

I have a '18 Cummins and a '19 Hemi Power Wagon with the 8 spd. auto for my daily driver. For the little you tow, I'd get rid of the diesel and go with the Hemi. The Hemi and 8 Spd. are perfect. Granted, I'm just under 30k miles on the Hemi, but I've not had one problem. Fuel mileage is surprisingly good and not much different than my diesel. I don't tow over 8k with the Hemi, but it does a good job.
How are you liking the power wagon? Been on the fence of trading my cummins for a powerwagon really don't daily drove either but for they out of pocket money I could just add the lockers and winch to my truck

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

wyodan

WKR
How are you liking the power wagon? Been on the fence of trading my cummins for a powerwagon really don't daily drove either but for they out of pocket money I could just add the lockers and winch to my truck

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
This is what I did too, except it was a duramax for the powerwagon. I know you were asking the other guy, but the powerwagon is way better for tooling around, goes through way more stuff more easily. The flip side is that it was terrible for towing my little 2-horse trailer. I did not expect it to struggle like that. Personally, I would upgrade the lockers and winch. I don't need, or won't ever use, the remainder of the off road items.

kbone

FNG
I have the 6.4. It will tow everything just fine and is convenient as a daily driver without all the hassle of a diesel. Gas mileage is pretty weak when towing, but I haul the camper so infrequently it's really not a huge deal.

FLATHEAD

WKR
In the same boat with a CTD '16.
DEF pump went out. Threatened to shut down within 150 miles. 2200$
Had a battery explode.
Tailgate shuts SOMETIMES.
45k Miles.
Would love to trade it in, but it's paid for.
Bad time to trade.
Nothing out there I'm crazy about.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
In the same boat with a CTD '16.
DEF pump went out. Threatened to shut down within 150 miles. 2200$
Had a battery explode.
Tailgate shuts SOMETIMES.
45k Miles.
Would love to trade it in, but it's paid for.
Bad time to trade.
Nothing out there I'm crazy about.
Where are you located? Deleting the DPF and DEF is way cheaper. If you’re in a free state/county you can also delete the worst of all the emissions controls, the horrible engine killing EGR system.

Cummins with those deletes and mild tune is a 500K plus mile motor.

wyosteve

WKR
I really like the Power Wagon. Very comfortable ride compared to the diesel. I think that since they went to the 8 speed transmission in '19, the towing capability is much better. My diesel just gets used when towing over 10k.

OP
golfbum

golfbum

WKR
could look at the Ford 7.3 gasser as well
I thought about that and really liked the idea, problem being I can't find any in stock and have been told by several dealers its a 5-6 month wait time. Also I don't think I can fit the truck in the garage which I would prefer to keep it nice