Range time - how long between shots

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
I’m assuming that barrel would be a 2b-3 contour. My guess would be your groups are due to the barrel over heating. It’s good to know what your barrel does in different scenarios but I wouldn’t lose sleep over what your seeing. When shooting for groups try your best to mimic the previous shot conditions. My 6.5x47L with a 3b Bartlein would shoot in the .1’s until I reach about 7 shots. Then my groups open up. On the other hand I’ve never shot my 6.5x47L MTU barrel fast enough to cause this and I’ve ran the bastard hard. That is my long answer.

Short answer would be find an accurate load with a cold bore and take it to the house.

Also have another person shoot the rifle. That will rule out your theory of recoil anticipation!

I have a question for Form on this one.

I have a fairly lightweight 300 win mag built by Rifles Inc. It weighs 8lbs with scope, rings, ammo, sling, ready to take hunting. I have a 100yd range in my yard but don't have the greatest rest or bench (Caldwell rest on a picnic table). I have the opportunity to shoot a lot and have noticed a consistent pattern shooting this rifle. The first shot from a cold barrel clean or dirty hits the same POI, shots on the same target from different days will cut the same hole. The next shot will touch that hole or be darn close if I shoot more than one in a session. The next shot will walk up and left 1/2 to 3/4". After that the shots will open up to about a 1.5" group. Even if I shoot 5 more (8 total) they stay within that 1.5" group.

In your opinion how much of that is the rifle and how much is that my shooting ability and recoil anticipation? The consistency of it makes me think it's more about the gun but I know I have faults too. Maybe it's me expecting the gun to do a certain thing and causing it myself?

FWIW I'm asking so I can give up and quit screwing with this rifle off the bench. I'd much rather be practicing field shooting once I know I've done all I can from the bench. I have a pile of milk jugs waiting to be filled with water and shot at longer ranges from field positions.

Thanks for your time and help.

Last edited: