Real hunting weight arrow speeds

kupper

Lil-Rokslider
28/70 shooting a 482gr at 261. my fixed blades tended to plane more at anything above about 290 so as long as im below that im good to go.

Beendare

WKR
I couldn't tell you how fast my setup is...heck I own a chrono and don't even check it anymore.

Heres why I think speed is overrated; When I was setting up my Spyder turbo years ago I adjusted my sight for my 500gr arrow. Then I shot my older 440 gr arrow side by side for comparison at 40 yds.

The first thing you notice when doing this is the bow is significantly quieter...and smoother- less vibration with a heavier arrow. The second is that the groupings of the 440 gr arrow with the "flatter Trajectory" is less than one inch higher at that 40 yd distance....not much difference at bowhunting distances.

Speed is over rated. Smooth, forgiving, repeatable accuracy is what a guy wants, IMO.

Last edited:
Prime Logic 27"/80.2#, 545 grain arrow at ~255-260. Nothing wrong with upgrading, but don't do it for speed. Look for tunability and accuracy.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Elite Spirit
28/69/ 20 grains on the string 524 grain arrow.
10 shot average 248.9

Elite Emerge
28/63/ 20 grains on the string, 440 grain arrow
10 shot average 274

dkime

WKR
Don't waste your time buying a bow expecting better performance, if you're gonna buy a new one then buy one that looks cool. Thats about the only selling point some of the newer bows have. (I'm being a smartass here) I'm at 502gr 29/70 272fps BUT my bow looks cool so that's really all that matters.....if only someone would write an article that talks about trajectory, weight, and their impact on ballistics...… be back soon

Usi05

WKR
Interesting thread since I am going to start building my hunting arrows soon. Everyone seems to be in that 450-525 weight range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D
To answer a few peoples thoughts, i was really just looking to see if any of the new technology was gonna be so advanced as to push my 500+ grain arrows close to 300fps. Since that seems to be a pipe dream, ill stick to 70lbs with my 29" draw. Going to 80lb limbs doesnt seem to gain enough for the trouble.
Ive got the old girl shooting darts with 125gr viper tricks, and the SD maxima reds. I really like that arrow. Glad to see i wasnt missing out on any performance.
Thanks again.

I remember just before elk season there was a thread (which i cant find) , where folks were talking about arrow speeds with their hunting setups. Ive been using my same old bow madness (drawing 29" and shooting about 268fps or so with a 510 grain arrow), and i feel like i should upgrade (stupid), but all the fast ass bows seem to shoot in roughly the same range with that heavy an arrow. Thoughts? Numbers? Convince me one way or another if you please.
Thanks in advance.

I shoot a 445 grain arrow , 63 lbs. DW, 29.5 DL., 268 fps.. Good all around weight for deer and elk and some other critters.

Wapiti406

WKR
My hunting arrow is 558 gr. When I was shopping a couple weeks ago the 31/70 the Hoyt RX3 was at 266 FPS. 31/73 the Mathews Traverse was at 272 FPS.

MattB

WKR
2012 Hoyt Vector 32

415 grs @ 245 fps
29” DL pulling 64 lbs

I was a bit surprised at what it chrono’d when I picked it up at the bow shop. I would prefer a faster shooting bow but don’t want to spend the money to upgrade so I’m just going to increase my FOC and arrow weight to compensate for it.

It seems like there is something off with your bow, as the velocity seems ~20 fps slow. Before you start spending money on arrows in the hope of compensating for the lack of velocity, I would take the bow to a reputable Hoyt dealer and have them make sure the cabling/ATA/BH are to spec and that the cams are synched/timed.

Bbell12

WKR
It seems like there is something off with your bow, as the velocity seems ~20 fps slow. Before you start spending money on arrows in the hope of compensating for the lack of velocity, I would take the bow to a reputable Hoyt dealer and have them make sure the cabling/ATA/BH are to spec and that the cams are synched/timed.

That’s a good idea that honestly never crossed my mind, thanks.

I am amazed at the variance in the speeds....need taller boots.
2017 Xpedition Xcursion 6 - 6" brace height. 68 pounds /28" boring me, 600 grainer running 232.
I just KNOW FOR A FACT, I will not gain 50 FPS with a 505 grainer.....and Pamela is fast, but she's not easy.

I do know for a fact a 600 grainer going 232 is hell on wheels when it hits meat. Light sabre.
if your bow delivers the arrow properly, then deliver the proper arrow to the animals, properly.

406unltd

WKR
Realmx-comfort
70lb
496gn
12-13%foc
286fps
I’d say do what makes you happy. My old setup was with a cheap bow. It moved a heavish arrow almost as fast, but that thing has a harsh draw. Then I got a bow upgrade and it has made it so much easier on my shoulders to shoot more per session. Plus it reignites that passion to shoot as much as possible. Sounds to me like that setup is pretty good. It might make an awesome backup bow if you purchase another, or it will just keep killing like it has for you since you bought it.

OP
D
I gotta see about making one of the medieval stretching racks. 29" is getting me nowhere compared to you "gorillas" pulling 31+. Some of those speeds are astounding!

Hoyt Carbon Defiant, 65#, 29" draw
266 fps with 480 grain arrow.
It is a bit slower because I have rubber "cat whisker" string silencers.

Using this bow the first two deer I shot without the silencers jumped the string (still hit them) but after putting on the silencers the next three deer didn't react at all (much better hits). If you're interested in arrow speed you should also consider the bow's noise.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't know on my recurve. My compound is a Decree HD. I was shooting 291 with a 425gr arrow at 31" draw and 60lbs. Bumped it up to 31.5" and 68lbs with a 500gr arrow and its pushing roughly the same speed. Strings are stretched though, time for a new set. Was thinking of a new compound, but the speed numbers are about the same. Think I'll just get a new custom stick bow. They actually appreciate in value instead of losing money like driving a new car off the lot lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JasonWi

WKR
I'm shooting a Prime Logic CT5 @ 75# and 28.5" DL. My 500 grain arrows are 275 and my 525 grain arrows are 268.

I always strive for 265-280 fps on my hunting bows and have been that way for the last 14 years.