Rechambering Rem 700LA 270Win for lower recoil and great "heavy for caliber" hunting performance. What caliber?

Marshfly

WKR
I have this Rem 700LA in 270 that I need to rebarrel. It simply will not group the heavier 270win cartridges (145 ELDX,etc.) acceptably. I want to 100% move away from the 130gr TTSX that is will group.
IMG_4667.jpegMy chosen solution is a rebarrel. Originally I was set on 6.5PRC. Since purchasing a Tikka 223 and shooting it and watching others shoot it and 6.5CM back to back and the improved shooting the lighter recoiling round makes in hit rate at distance I am set on reducing recoil for this rifle.
The first choice would be an obvious 6.5 CM. But now that I look at the ballistics of both factory 108 ELDM and 147 ELDM the 6mm CM holds almost the exact same distance to 1800 FPS and the wind is very close at 7mph vs 8mph.
I want this barreled at 17-18" for suppressor use.

Is chambering a Long Action Rem 700 in 6CM a bad idea?

Is there something else I need to consider?

I currently do not hand load and would like to have something that has good factory loads available.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I agree 100% with reducing recoil as much as possible for precision.

I’d say just sell and get a 6 creed in a short action. There is no reason to run it in a long action. But, you can run it in a long action if you want.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
I agree 100% with reducing recoil as much as possible for precision.

I’d say just sell and get a 6 creed in a short action. There is no reason to run it in a long action. But, you can run it in a long action if you want.
The rifle was originally a gift from my late father. Selling is not an option. Even though much has been changed he would enjoy the process of making it work perfectly for me so this is the path.

Light recoil in a long action with factory ammo and .473bf is a tough one. Best start reloading.
With an 18” barrel you’ll be loosing a lot of juice from long action fodder

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The rifle was originally a gift from my late father. Selling is not an option. Even though much has been changed he would enjoy the process of making it work perfectly for me so this is the path.
That’s awesome. I say run it as a 6 creed and enjoy it.

If accuracy was close at all, you may consider giving it a good cleaning from shooting solids, strip the copper and then try the other bullets. Sometimes the two bullets don’t play well in the same barrel.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
That’s awesome. I say run it as a 6 creed and enjoy it.

If accuracy was close at all, you may consider giving it a good cleaning from shooting solids, strip the copper and then try the other bullets. Sometimes the two bullets don’t play well in the same barrel.

I wish it were that easy. I tried like heck to make the ELD work. Best group was 2.5”. TTSX is right at 1” for 10 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Light recoil in a long action with factory ammo and .473bf is a tough one. Best start reloading.
With an 18” barrel you’ll be loosing a lot of juice from long action fodder

I don’t mind having the bolt face opened up if need be. That was going to happen with the original 6.5PRC plan anyway.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
OEM 700's in 270 Win are mechanically suited,to the 145 ELD X.

While a far cry from .284" possibilities,they are viable.

That being said,my 270 Hatred is to the core.............(grin)

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
OEM 700's in 270 Win are mechanically suited,to the 145 ELD X.

While a far cry from .284" possibilities,they are viable.

That being said,my 270 Hatred is to the core.............(grin)

Unfortunately mine is not, as said in the top post.

BBob

WKR
For simplicity sake (no action changes) I’d be at the 6CM first choice and no problems with 6.5CM for a second choice. Lots and lots of factory ammunition available in 6.5.

As a side note Lilja will make a duplicate to that Rem Sporter profile (it looks like a Sporter :) ). It’s listed in their contours page. I’ve have a couple made up.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
For simplicity sake (no action changes) I’d be at the 6CM first choice and no problems with 6.5CM for a second choice. Lots and lots of factory ammunition available in 6.5.

As a side note Lilja will make a duplicate to that Rem Sporter profile (it looks like a Sporter :) ). It’s listed in their contours page. I’ve have a couple made up.

Good to know. My smith normally uses them for barrels.

This contour shortened with some fluting would be awesome.

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot said projectile,in multiple OEM 700's and all shine brightly.

Are you referencing Factory Ammo efforts,or Reloads?

OEM twist rate,COAL and Throat Geometry allow nice things,by literal default. What they can't do,is make poor Factory Fodder shine...............

atmat

WKR
I know you don’t want to sell it for sentimental reasons. But by the time you pay to rebarrel it, you basically could have a Tikka 223 or 6.5.

Can you just keep the gun and then buy an additional Tikka?

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
I shoot said projectile,in multiple OEM 700's and all shine brightly.

Are you referencing Factory Ammo efforts,or Reloads?

OEM twist rate,COAL and Throat Geometry allow nice things,by literal default. What they can't do,is make poor Factory Fodder shine...............
I currently do not hand load and would like to have something that has good factory loads available.

I don't hand load.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
I know you don’t want to sell it for sentimental reasons. But by the time you pay to rebarrel it, you basically could have a Tikka 223 or 6.5.

Can you just keep the gun and then buy an additional Tikka?
Sure but then it sits on the shelf and that's just dumb. I have enough dumb shelf guns. This is my primary hunting rifle and I want it to stay that way.

Hunting mule deer with my brandy new Tikka 223 this week BTW.

Attachments

• IMG_4833.jpeg
    IMG_4833.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 34

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
Saw it and was intentionally stringing same along,to focus upon COAL. Mainly because I shoot a "few",with same.

Just saying............