Rechambering Rem 700LA 270Win for lower recoil and great "heavy for caliber" hunting performance. What caliber?

atmat

WKR
Sure but then it sits on the shelf and that's just dumb. I have enough dumb shelf guns. This is my primary hunting rifle and I want it to stay that way.

Hunting mule deer with my brandy new Tikka 223 this week BTW.
Haha totally get that. I’m a time/energy/finance guy, so buying a new rifle is the easy button for same cos. But indeed you’d have an extra rifle.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Saw it and was intentionally stringing same along,to focus upon COAL. Mainly because I shoot a "few",with same.

Just saying............
Care to elaborate? As much as I DO NOT need yet another hobby that is ancillary to hunting (LOL), if there is significant gains available from simply cutting and threading this barrel to 18" and hammering out some hand loads that might be the ticket. But that still doesn't get me lower recoil.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Backing up, when I cleaned prior to the second round trying the ELDXmaybe I just didn't do a good enough job. I cleaned until there was no more blue coming after a bunch of passes with solvent with a brush and patches.
What would be the absolute best way to get the rifle as copper free as possible to eliminate that from the equation?

Maybe one more box of ELDX is worth trying.

@hereinaz what would be your preferred method and products to do this effectively?

BigStick

Lil-Rokslider
Will chopping a 270Win to 18" and feeding it the absolute BEST projectiles mechanically viable,grant it opportunity to exceed a 6.5 CM? Nope.

It will simply recoil more,be louder,cost more to shoot,drift more in the wind and arrive the scene with less impact velocity. That encompassing said 145 ELD X.

ALL .277's have long been an exceedingly poor choice,due projectiles.

If only for starters..................(grin)

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I don’t mind having the bolt face opened up if need be. That was going to happen with the original 6.5PRC plan anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That won’t get you lower recoil. If you want lower recoil and factory ammo, 6cm is the way. It will feed just fine from your LA- every M24 sniper rifle in 308win for 30 years was a R700 LA. When you load the mag, slide the round all the way to the back of the mag box.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
Will chopping a 270Win to 18" and feeding it the absolute BEST projectiles mechanically viable,grant it opportunity to exceed a 6.5 CM? Nope.

It will simply recoil more,be louder,cost more to shoot,drift more in the wind and arrive the scene with less impact velocity. That encompassing said 145 ELD X.

ALL .277's have long been an exceedingly poor choice,due projectiles.

If only for starters..................(grin)
I honestly agree here.

After researching and actually shooting multiple Creedmoor and PRC rifles it is amazing what a well designed cartridge specification can do for ensuring out of the box accuracy.

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
That won’t get you lower recoil. If you want lower recoil and factory ammo, 6cm is the way. It will feed just fine from your LA- every M24 sniper rifle in 308win for 30 years was a R700 LA. When you load the mag, slide the round all the way to the back of the mag box.
Thanks, was hoping you'd chime in here.

I'm using a factory floor plate on this rifle and love it actually. I guess I'd just have to come to a good process for loading that.

The Guide

WKR
I don't hand load.
The 280AI and the 6.5-284 don't require handloading. You can buy cartridges over the counter. Of the two, I'd recommend the 280AI to cover most typical Montana hunting. Several factory offerings plus you can order custom ammo from places like Unknown Munitions with the projectile of your choice.

Jay

BBob

WKR
Out of all of the products I’ve ever used when it comes to getting everything out of a bore as quick as possible I used Iosso and the Iosso blue brushes. I’ve switched semi recently to an Iosso product sold by Bullet Central. ThoroClean and ThoroFlush, which works just as well but is a little easier to use. I use the blue brushes with the ThoroClean as well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Thanks, was hoping you'd chime in here.

I'm using a factory floor plate on this rifle and love it actually. I guess I'd just have to come to a good process for loading that.

Nothing to it. Just push it down into the mag and slide back.

BBob

WKR
^^^ I think you'll be pretty happy with that. Before the 6CM was a thing I took a very similar older 700SA in 308 sporter profile stocked in a very old Brown Prec kevlar and converted it into a 6.5CM with a Lilja Rem Sporter for the barrel. I'll eventually send it out for fluting. You can't alter the Brown's barrel channel (not without a lot of extra work) so the Lilja option worked out great. 130VLD's and recoil is nice compared to it when it was in 308. If I were to do it again today I'd probably go the 6CM route.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I building a 1-8 twist .270 right now. I handload monos so may not be ideal for you but it is an option. There are better options out there but wanted to keep my m70 in the classic chamber. If the .270 has sentimental value throw a 1-9 on it and it'll shoot any factory load great

OP
Marshfly

Marshfly

WKR
You can custom order any loadings, doesn’t have to be “factory” for those who don’t load their own

But why add all of that unnecessary cost for a caliber that I’m not married to? And how many expensive custom loads will it take to find the perfect one?

Sounds like a huge pain in the butt.

I am getting spoiled by cheap, good, always accurate 223 and creedmoor factory ammo.

The availability of $32 a box ELDM pays for a barrel pretty quickly compared to any type of specialty or custom 270 ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well then. A 5.5 pound bare 6mm CM is going to be a hell of a hunting rifle for my uses. Excited to get the build started after Thanksgiving.
I like that idea and assume you will as well

I replied and then deleted my reply after noticing it was a LA, but sounds like it will work regardless… it certainly checks your boxes well

I’m wanting a 6creed pretty bad, and assume that is what my tikka 308 will become in the near future… I will probably set it up for my daughter, and she can call it hers, as long as she lets me shoot it 😏

She’s finally showing interest, and that seems like a good excuse for a 6creed

MAP1

Lil-Rokslider
130 gr TTSX is a heckuva killer.
Why move away from it?
I was thinking the same. 129 Barnes LRX another option. I can spot my shots with an 8lb 270 WIN. recoil is mild. A new barrel cost money plus who knows if it will shoot better.