Recommendation on Rain Gear and Puffy

In the market for a rain coat and pants as well as a puffy. I have narrowed it down to the Kuiu Chugach Jacket and Pant or the First Lite Boundary Stormlight jacket and pant for the rain gear. I hunt MT and Idaho so its not going to get used a lot.

As for the puffy I've considered the Uncompahgre or the Super Down. I can't seem to find anything saying the Uncompahre is "essentially waterproof
like the Super Down claims to be. Is this true or is it a big factor?

Can you weigh in on what you have found/like? Thanks

This is going to open up for some good discussion. It's like comparing Ford and Chevy.

I personally use First Lite because I get a better deal through them. However, kuiu is nice stuff and I wouldn't mind using it either.

I've stayed warm and dry in my uncompaghre puffy and dry in my stormtight jacket. I worn them in Washington, Montana, Colorado and Kansas.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't speak for the rest but the uncompahgre is not waterproof however it is pretty water resistant. It would take a pretty good downpour to soak through but that's what rain gear is for.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Is the OP referring to a waterproof material on the exterior of the puffy, or treated, waterproof goose down inside it?

Few puffy jackets are touted as waterproof - they simply have too many holes from sewn-through baffles.

bhylton

WKR
OP- To my knowledge the superdown is NOT waterproof at all. the down is treated with a DWR to help it retain loft when wet/damp, and the face fabric has a DWR coating as well. but in real rain/pushing through wet brush it will soak through. I have a kuiu kenia and really like it. i wear it as an outer layer most of the time hunting in montana (its very quite). the super down will be a bit warmer though and is more packable. Im ears on what people say about rain gear too.

I've been using the Chugach NX, top and bottom, now for 3 years and have good results with it. So far I haven't been in a situation where it's wetted out and I've been in some pretty wet conditions on Kodiak. I just purchased the Kuiu UL rain gear a few months ago and haven't used it yet, but figure that it's probably not a bad idea to have a back up. I also have been wearing a Kuiu hooded SD for a few years now and love it. It's very warm for the weight and packs down to nothing. I don't have any real experience with it as far as water exposure goes, other than having a little bit of rain get on it prior to putting on my Chugach jacket. My SD is the gun metal gray in color and I wear it ALL the time, like I said, I love it.

FL Puffy is amazingly warm and comfortable. Being a synthetic it will keep you warm even if it gets soaked unlike down (even hydrophobic down) no matter what claims certain manufacturers make. I have the SD pants because no one makes a light synthetic puffy pant and I dont think SD is as warm as Uncompagre, but is more compressible.

I am looking forward to trying out the new light-weight FL rain jacket coming out this year. IMO the current generation is overkill for climates like CO where rain usually doesnt stick around.

bates

WKR
I have Chugach pants, been running the originals for a while and just got the updated NX version, great pant no issues.

I have 2 rain jackets, I have the Ultra Nx that I take or pack when I don't expect rain.

I also just bought the Sitka Dewpoint jacket that I will take when I expect rain and weather.

as far as puffy, I currently have 2, i really like the Sitka kelvin ultralight, to me its warmer, has a more durable face fabric than the superdowns i had.

i have been very impressed with it this winter

i also have the kenai and like it bc of how quiet it is,

twall13

WKR
I'd wait and check out the new lighter First Lite rain gear coming out this summer. I don't think they are updating the pant but the top will have two choices, a more heavy duty version of the storm tight and a lighter duty version. It sounds like for your use the lighter version might work well.

OP
MTLongdraw
Thank you all for the responses. Sounds to me like were comparing apples to apples and its all good stuff!

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would say to not overlook non-hunting branded rain gear from some of the mountaineering companies. Those people know how to sew up some fantastic gear as well. My next set of rain gear will be in a solid color to use year round, camo gear limits you in areas where it raises people's hackles who don't hunt. I have a Stormtight jacket in ASAT right now, been running it since it came out and a bit of the seam tape is coming undone on the inside, I need to call them up and check on getting it redone I guess, just not in a huge rush with work being hectic this time of year.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Forgot to add, I have an Uncompahgre puffy as well and it's one of my favorite pieces of kit

WRM

WKR
+1 to Sneaky comment. And to throw fuel on the debate see

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/

http://www.buffalosystems.co.uk/products/

Use both brands and they are great.

I also like Grunden gage bibs in Highlander. Inexpensive and you won't cry when they are trashed and you need to throw them out.

For a "puffy", I really like a vest. My current favorite is a Tilak Nalu, made in eastern europe. It has short sleeves built in and vent zips. Also a "short" set available with it (I have and use). I prefer this for early(ier) season instead of insulated pants. Also great to augment a quilt when temps drop. Insulation is Climashield Apex. Quality stuff. If anyone is interested, I'll dig up the website.

Last edited:

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
I went Yukon for durability. I don't trust myself to not break a Chugash.

The Uncompahgre is way too warm (at least for me) to hike in. Great piece though ... light SS merino, merino sweather, Uncompahgre at 20deg. I wish it was a touch more durable (it has some 10d or 20d-ish panels on it.)

If I was going to spot/stalk hunting in the rain a lot I'd stay with Yukon. If I'm sitting still or not in the rain much I'd probably opt for Chugash just for the packability/weight. Yukon's pretty bomber but heavy ... think softshell-weight.

-mox

What would you guys recommend for September Alberta mulie spot and stalk? I have no rain gear so need to pick some up. I know weather can be snowing and 15 or sunny and 70. Will Half to closer time to see but I'm trying to scout out the best suited for there and to keep for use here around home in va.

Is the OP referring to a waterproof material on the exterior of the puffy, or treated, waterproof goose down inside it?

Few puffy jackets are touted as waterproof - they simply have too many holes from sewn-through baffles.

Columbia has one with out dry extreme. Works awesome except for the loud colors

Qfrog

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up I have a new with tags Stormtight set in realtree extra camo size medium. I ended up with max-1 as gift for my wife so I have no need for it. Great set with huge pit zips for awesome ventilation $300.