Reliable non-dialing scope

gclubb02

FNG
Looking for something to put on my 300WSM. Would prefer to not have dials as I dont have much need for them but would not be totally opposed to them as it seems all the approved, drop tested, etc scopes are dialers. Goals would be to keep it lightweight, durable/reliable, as budget friendly as possible, a bdc style reticle with elevation/windage holds, and something in the 2.5-10ish zoom range. Shots would be 500yds max and more than likely 300yds and in more times than not. Low light visibility would be a plus as well. I know there are many similar threads but I can’t seem to find one that isn’t from someone looking for a dialer. Be nice to see opinions on non dialing scopes. Looking at the swfa ultralight 2.5-10 and some of leupolds vx-3hds in various magnifications. I know the lower end leupolds get a bad rap for dialing but I’d be curious to know if anyone has any reliability concerns with leupolds if you aren’t dialing.

DLIP

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking for the same criteria for one of my rifles.

While not the lightest, the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 checks the other boxes.

CoStick

WKR
I’m looking for the same criteria for one of my rifles.

While not the lightest, the Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 checks the other boxes.
I just transitioned my rifles from the SHV to the trijicon. If you are not dialing the 11 oz weight savings and illumination without batteries is really nice. No durability issues either.

OP
G

gclubb02

FNG
I just transitioned my rifles from the SHV to the trijicon. If you are not dialing the 11 oz weight savings and illumination without batteries is really nice. No durability issues either.
Do you have any sort of testing data to back up durability or just personal use in the field?

OP
G

gclubb02

FNG
I’m loling that I cant ask a legitimate question on my own thread without getting smart comments. Reason I asked is I don’t know you, i dont know what your scopes go through, you could have had it for a season and hunted with it 3 times or you could be like others here and drop test your stuff and beat on it. I just don’t know. Thats why I asked. I’m just sort of tired of having to re zero my leupolds what seems like every couple times I shoot the gun. So I want something that has proven itself to hold zero. I’m also the type of person who likes to hear reasons why someone likes a particular scope and what they like about it. Not just scope suggestions with no reasoning

CoStick

WKR
I’m loling that I cant ask a legitimate question on my own thread without getting smart comments. Reason I asked is I don’t know you, i dont know what your scopes go through, you could have had it for a season and hunted with it 3 times or you could be like others here and drop test your stuff and beat on it. I just don’t know. Thats why I asked. I’m just sort of tired of having to re zero my leupolds what seems like every couple times I shoot the gun. So I want something that has proven itself to hold zero. I’m also the type of person who likes to hear reasons why someone likes a particular scope and what they like about it. Not just scope suggestions with no reasoning
If you are asking on an Internet forum people are going to share their experiences. If you want more than that doing it yourself is probably the best path.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
I don't dial and prefer a BDC reticle and have a Swarovski Z3 3-10X42 BRH Reticle (12.7oz if I recall) on a Kimber Montana and have had no durability issues.....
I recently purchased a Fierce Fury 7mm-08 and am looking at the Maven RS.3 2-10X38 SHR Reticle (12.4oz).....

Macintosh

WKR
It's a legit question, and seems to be an unpopular category of scopes...like, more than lowest-common denominator, but not so trendy as the long-range crowd wants. I had similar criteria, short-to medium range (400yds or a bit more at the range), reliable, can do drops. And like you, It seemed like every range trip I'd have to re-zero my leupold scopes, and chase a zero around while doing it, just enough that it got in my head. I've been casually looking for a couple years and still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. Personally, I'd prefer to dial but have not been able to find the combination of reliability, dial-ability, magnification range and most importantly the reticle I like. I was set on getting a NF NXS 2-10x42 but they stopped making all of the reticles I liked and couldnt find one used, so that got crossed off the list. An SHV 3-10 was high on the list, but I wanted some way to handle drops without unscrewing a turret cap. I ended up getting a schmidt and bender klassic 3-12x42 this winter with a p3 reticle. Being ffp its still possible to use the reticle for drops, which was one of my main complaints with the 2fp hashed reticles, but it's still very uncluttered and useable at lowest power--it's a bit finer than I'd like for use in the woods where I hunt a lot, but doable and the thick portion of the crosshairs is sufficiently close to center to keep it manageable in this regard. clarity and low-light performance is very good--pretty exceptional compared to other scopes I've owned. If I decide I really want a turret after using it more I can get one added for a couple hundred $. Basic tracking while zeroing (quick ladder test) was flawless. I havent used it enough to really speak to durability other than the brand seems to have a reasonable (not stellar, but reasonable) reputation among the crowd that talks about durability. If you do dial there isnt a ton of elevation in this scope, but with your wsm should get you out plenty far, mine's on a 7mm08 and from specs should get me close to 600 without any built-in elevation. Price was in the mid-range of other scopes I was looking at.

ElPollo

WKR
What you’re asking is really hard to quantify without the sort of drop testing you’ll find over in the top of the long range hunting forum, but the testers are focused on scopes that dial because of their long range focus. There frankly aren’t a lot of other folks who are down with the idea of drop testing their own gear, so you mostly get random observations that are hard to make a lot of inference on. What you can take from the drop tests and other random reports is that there are relatively few manufacturers these days that make scopes that’ll take some abuse and hold zero. Those include, the Japanese-made SWFAs, the Trijicons, the Nightforce, Schmidt and Bender, Minox, and maybe Meopta. But outside of the few models that have been drop tested, you’re kinda on your own.

The SWFA model you are looking at is made in the Philippines seems to a different critter than their Japanese scopes. I have not handled one, but have read critical reviews about its eye box and distortion at the high end magnification. The Japanese SWFAs I’ve used have all performed well but are all dialers.

Lots of folks on here seem to have had good luck with the Trijicons, and their Accupoint and Credo lines have non-dialers like you are looking for. Meopta also has some non-dialers that might fit what your looking for, but I have no direct experience with them.

Best of luck. Please report back on your experiences.

Just mounted a vx3 hd 3.5-10x40 on a kimber Montana and am really liking it. I have had a couple of the rifleman’s for about 10 years or better and they have been great. One of them is on a 300wsm. Never had any issues with them so I’m expecting the vx3 to be a great scope.

A fixed 6 SWFA would check two of your three boxes (reliable and cheap at $299) and you don’t have to twist dials. If you don’t care about mil vs moa you could buy one right this minute, too.