Reloading gear

If you experienced reloaders had to start over with new reloading gear what brand would it be? Also, what piece could you not live without?

I`m interested in hearing your opinions. Thanks

sab

Lil-Rokslider
There are so many great brands, it’s hard to pick one (I own four presses from four different manufacturers). Regarding a piece I can’t live without, that’s easy - the RCBS ChargeMaster powder dispenser. For me, it was a “game changer.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
There are so many great brands, it’s hard to pick one (I own four presses from four different manufacturers). Regarding a piece I can’t live without, that’s easy - the RCBS ChargeMaster powder dispenser. For me, it was a “game changer.”

Thanks for your reply.

I`m thinking the RCBS rebel press. I figured the ChargeMaster powder dispenser would be sweet.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
One of my four presses is an RCBS brand (it's an AmmoMaster, Gen II, I believe). It's a great press. I also have the ChargeMaster and several other RCBS items. I've had to use their warranty a couple times, and it's been great both times. Dillon's warranty, in my experience, has been great, too. I think I only used it once. I had a Lyman case tumbler, and their warranty service was not at that same level. I don't use much of their stuff (just hand tools and an electric trigger scale) as a result of that experience. I have to say that my Forster Co-Ax is my favorite low-volume/high-precision press, but the RCBS, and even my Lee turret press are not bad choices, either. We American reloaders are pretty lucky. Most of the equipment available to us is high quality, backed by excellent warranties!

I'd have to agree. I could live without expensive dies and use a hand me down press, but the automatic powder dispenser would be the first thing I bought

sab

Lil-Rokslider
Even the cheapest dies on the market can make adequate rounds. The way you use them is the most important factor. That said, assuming that you're looking for dies to make accurate rifle rounds, I'm partial to the Redding competition dies, but they are pricey. Although I have no experience with them, the Forster dies have a good reputation, too, and they're a bit cheaper, I think. For ultimate accuracy, I think the bushing-style resizing dies, along with the micrometer-style seating dies work best.

rayporter

WKR
i tend to agree that most dies will make extremely good ammo.

but the die is the heart of your reloading -not the press.

in competition and for extreme accuracy you want custom dies. mighty few can have a need for the custom die.
reddings are considered good for factory dies and whidden is a step up.

lennywd87

Lil-Rokslider
If you will be doing a large amount of reloading the Lyman Brass Smith Case Trim Xpress is a must have ($80 on sale) Making sure that all the necks are uniform and the case lengths are consistent will help accuracy immensely.
**The charge master is a must have as well**

If you’re looking for precision rifle loads for hunting or punching paper, I would lean towards a RCBS rock chucker single stage press. I currently have 3 and absolutely love them. For a piece I couldn’t live without, it would be a chronograph, while it’s not directly reloading related it sure makes sense of what velocity’s you are getting so you can tweak your load more precisely! I have been using the magnetospeed for a year now and wouldn’t trade it for anything!

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
Most single stage presses are pretty much the same, assuming you get a quality piece, except the Forster co-ax and a couple others. For a new reloader, I would encourage you to get a nice RCBS or Redding press, used if possible, and spend your money on a chargemaster. It and a electric brass prep center are the best reloading equipment I've ever bought. I persoally use RCBS for everything except some dies, but I think any of the major manufacturers such as Hornady, Redding, MEC, will treat you well for presses. I would also recommend an iron press, I've seen a few made from aluminum lately for some reason.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I think presses, dies, etc... of various brands are very capable. One piece of equipment that comes to mind that is very useful is a set of headspace gauges like those from Hornady. Other things that have been mentioned that speed up the process are worthwhile, such as the charge master and prep station.

Henderson Trimmer, A&D Autotrickler. and Inline fabrication case ejector are probably the 3 specific things I'd recommend to make reloading time more enjoyable.

If you're not keen on spending $1k on a powder thrower/scale and $600+ on a case trimmer you can do fine with a chargemaster and forster trimmer with drill adapter and 3 way cutting heads.

As far as presses, a lee classic cast or rock chucker is plenty good IMO.

I'd have no hesitation using only cheap forster FL sizing dies with necks honed to any desired dimensions.

Last edited:

mvrk28

WKR
If I had one setup for the rest of my days it would be:

Area 419 Zero Press
AND FX-120i w/ Autothrow and Autotrickler
Annealing Made Perfect
Whidden Gunworks Dies
Sinclair Expander Mandrel
21st Century Neck Lathe
Giraud Trimmer
RCBS Brass Prep Station

MEC Marksman Press, RCBS prep station, WFT 2 trimmer setup, and an Auto Throw/Auto Trickler setup.