Remind me, archery shooting down hill ?

Opah

WKR
Archery, shooting down hill, arrow rises or drops ?
I believe it rises ? I figure at 40 yards maybe 6"s, sight at the bottom of the rib cage?
My bow is sighted 50 yards on flat terrain.

def90

WKR
The arrow drops the same due to gravity whether you are shooting straight, uphill, or downhill. If a target is downhill and is 35 yds line of sight that is not the distance you shoot at. What you do is draw a line straight up in the air from where the target is and measure how far out that line is from you in a straight line out. A target could be 35 yds away downhill in a straight line but drawing a line straight up in the air might make actually make it lets say 22 yards. That is the distance you set your sight at. If you have an angle compensating range finder it will give you the correct distance automatically.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
The arrow drops the same due to gravity whether you are shooting straight, uphill, or downhill. If a target is downhill and is 35 yds line of sight that is not the distance you shoot at. What you do is draw a line straight up in the air from where the target is and measure how far out that line is from you in a straight line out. A target could be 35 yds away downhill in a straight line but drawing a line straight up in the air might make actually make it lets say 22 yards. That is the distance you set your sight at. If you have an angle compensating range finder it will give you the correct distance automatically.

Well. Your kinda right. Right up until the last sentance. The range finders will be close at light angles. Get to say 30% they will all be wrong. Except maybe the new leupold rx4 full draw I believe. A true arrow cut sheet is really what is needed to be precise.

n8saki

FNG
Well it depends. At 40 yards & 40 degrees downhill for my set up shoots 30.2 yards, however at 20 degrees it shoots 37.3. Its a loaded questions but you can start by having a range finder that does some calculations for archery. Then later get a cut chart for your set up.

I found if it's really steep and less than 45 yards pull 10 yards off. If I recall at further distances it's not as bad. Like 35 yards but elevated and down hill pretty steep I shoot for 25. But 55 yards I'd still shoot for 55.

This was treestand hunting in the mountains, might be extended range shooting at long angles you still need to pull yards, I'd be interested to know for certain.

OP
O

Opah

WKR
Its not a extreme down hill maybe 10 / 16 foot drop over 40 yards, think what I will do is at the end of the Morning if I haven't harvested my Deer I'll pick a target and let one go see in what vicinity it hits, for the now I figure to aim with my 30 for 40 sight that should get me the lung shot.

n8saki

FNG
Here's a CUT CHART that's an example. Remember that it is set up specific so don't use this one as it will be more than likely off. For my 558gr Axis 260 out of a 80lb RX4 29" DL

Attachments

• Cut Chart 558 Axis.pdf
    32.7 KB · Views: 87

Jimbob

WKR
Downhill cut chart for my 530 grn axis 260 out of a vertix at 75 lbs and 29”

9e39d6ea5c042c92da97e99abb49bf77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
Its not a extreme down hill maybe 10 / 16 foot drop over 40 yards, think what I will do is at the end of the Morning if I haven't harvested my Deer I'll pick a target and let one go see in what vicinity it hits, for the now I figure to aim with my 30 for 40 sight that should get me the lung shot.

Don’t go hunting until you know what your doing. If you cut 10 yds from a 40 yd shot with 10’ downhill then you will miss. You only need to cut when the angle gets pretty steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Interesting stuff. I have shot off my house a bit and my rangefinder is accurate, but some of where I hunt is steeper than that. Think I should find a cliff to do some practice off of.

Backyard

WKR
It's simple. As sort of stated earlier, shooting up or down, think of it as a right triangle. The target distance is along the long side, the drop (always the same rate) distance is along the vertical side, and the distance to shoot for (pin) is along the horizontal line.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Its not simple. Your applying a trigonometry method to a subsonic projectile without considering gravity. This is wrong.

There is an angle and yardage that the regular rangefinder is on. This is the Trigonometry method that all range finders use except the leupold RX4 full draw.

maxresdefault.jpg

However. There is a point that your arrow will not follow the trigonometry method. This has to do with the arrow speed and the additional gravity on the arrow due to the time of flight. Gravity is constant but not figured into the standard trigonometry equation for most rangfinders. If it was you would have to enter the projectile speed into the range finder again like the leupold. With a supersonic bullet the effects are minimal at normal yardage. But with guns if you are taking a legit long range shot you probably are using a calculator to figure your dope with maths out the effects of gravity. With a 270 fps the effects compound over greater distance.

As it applies in the real world. If you are shooting out of a tree stand at 30 yards at 20 degree down angle meh you will probably be ok not cutting 3-5 yards. If you are shooting at an elk at 80 yards on a 35 degree down angle you will clean miss him to cutting 10-18 yards.

The correct way to do it is either figure out your cuts with archers advantage or pinwheel and shoot them in and make sure they are correct or get a leupold rx4 and shoot it in and make sure it is correct. If you want to be a lazy archer you can do the trionometry range finder method but know at a certian distance and angle you will be missing.

Fatcamp

WKR
So at what angle and distance does this become an issue with standard rangefinders. Leupold 1600 for example.

TxxAgg

WKR
I would hold for 40 yds in that scenario

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
So at what angle and distance does this become an issue with standard rangefinders. Leupold 1600 for example.

Every setup is different. Arrow speed is the determing factor = time of flight. So is vital size. A 5" miss on an elk vital center is not too much. Its a ton on a pronghorn. Arrow weight doesnt much matter as gravity pulls all down the same. Its more extreme angles and longer ranges then the OP is shooting at anyways.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
both. here is a sample for my cut sheets and my ballistics. I can figure out with these when I need to actually start cutting based on number of inches deviation off pin mark. All done with pinwheel software.

40 yards at 15degree down I should be aiming 38 yards. So my arrow will be 3.5" high. Eh thats still within a solid kill zone so doesnt matter too much.

40 yards at a 25 down I need to cut 4 yards which for me is 6.86" which is almost a miss on a whitetail.

Screenshot (36).pngScreenshot (37).png
Screenshot (39).png

Last edited:

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Where your head will really start to explode is say you are a legit archer so 2" @20, 4" @40 and so forth. You take your 40 yard group that is a respectable 4" and add 3.5" due to the angle which 15 degrees aint much and you could miss by as much as 7.5" high......add in spastic whitetail that jump the string and its worse. Its made me understand how even the best archers can clean miss a deer. Just getting a shot on an animal that close is an accomplishment in of itself. Killing one more so.