Remind me, archery shooting down hill ?

N2TRKYS

WKR
Yeah, couldn't resist the opportunity to bust balls. Just messing with ya. I'm from louisiana myself.

Lol. After I mountaineered 4 or 5 hills on all fours this turkey season, I was like damn, this place is worst than my elk spot.

wayoh22

WKR
Precisely what you’re saying - confidence when hunting. 5 yards off is easily a miss especially at distance for me. Nothing worse than hunting without confidence in your gear.

Most RFs already do the calculation, but on the steeper angles I check my cut chart against the RF output that I have saved on my phone.
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to explain it.

wayoh22

WKR
Thats what were talking about with the trig method that range finders use VS a true cut sheet. The trig method doesnt account for gravity while a program generated cut sheet does. At some point ballistics will diverge from what the range finder is telling you. Its different for everybow as its a speed = time of flight deal. A 280 fps bow the trig method will be good for longer then a 230 fps bow. You can math it by figuring out the sides of a right triangle on when your arrow will no longer fly like your range finder says.

I personally wear one of these with my cut chart in it when I know I'm going to be hunting steep country. Now this isnt hunting out of a tree stand 20' off the ground. This is a legit 35-40 degree country which is steep as heck. I need all the help I can get as holding my form correct at 40 degrees down is a challenge of itself.

Thanks for taking the time for such a thought out explanation. I really appreciated and am thankful to have learned something from it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The best thing is to practice shots that are similar. See how your setup shoots. It feels pretty weird aiming at extreme angles. I’ve always had good luck with my Leica rangefinder giving me the correct yardage
Yep, yesterday I was looking at similar terrain, angles, and scenery. So I had to test out my Sig Kilo 2000 with ranging all those 70+ degree slopes and distances. At one point I was ranging almost straight down and well over 100 yards to the bottom and it gave me a reading of 14 yards.......which seemed pretty darn accurate given what I was looking at. Each time I'd estimate the horizontal distance and it was close every time.

Played around a little this afternoon walking out. My rangefinder (vortex 1800 I think) was giving me shot distances less than the straightline to the trees. I had one that straight line the tree was 17 yards, however it said shoot for 15. Trees weren't tall enough to get a lot further than that to test straight versus angle. I really haven't done anything for a long time aside from whatever my rangefinder says, I'm sure at some point there is discrepancy.

Something I haven't seen brought up is what happens at these angles. On a deer I'd shoot down at a 50 degree angle so long as it's close, treestand won't matter as they likely won't be that far at that much angle. At 45 yards and a 60 degree angle the vitals get really small. It's like a hard quartering away shot, easy to hit one lung, difficult to catch both.