Remington 700 LSS 30:06 mountain rifle

I have had this rifle for 15 years or so and wondering if its worth upgrading stocks(harder to find) and trigger or just getting a new mountain rifle in 30:06.I like the caliber but just wanting to upgrade a little.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Trigger tech makes a great trigger and you'll notice the upgrade. Stocks are a personal choice what's your end goal less wieght?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Might consider getting say a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding block in it. Have a gunsmith put a Shilen or Timmney trigger on it. You didn't say if the rifle shoots very well or not. Maybe treat yourself to a newer scope as well. Maybe a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle in it. I sure like the one I have on my 280 AI.

David

WyoElk

WKR
Might consider getting say a Bell & Carlson synthetic stock with the aluminum bedding block in it. Have a gunsmith put a Shilen or Timmney trigger on it. You didn't say if the rifle shoots very well or not. Maybe treat yourself to a newer scope as well. Maybe a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold with the B&C reticle in it. I sure like the one I have on my 280 AI.

David

I have one of these stocks that’s black with grey spiderwebs if your interested. It’s brand new in the box that B&C sent it to me in.

WKR
If it shoots well, I'd swap stocks. If it doesn't, its not as easy a decision.

Trees91

WKR
Manners eh6 or a Mcmillan mountain rifle pattern with edge fill and have them inlet for a mountain rifle barrel contour. If you want to save some coin do a bansner/legendary arms works sheep hunter and finish it yourself. Trigger tech primary is a pretty slick hunting trigger. Super easy to adjust and can do it without taking the stock off.

WKR
Have seen several folks drill out the butt stocks on the laminated versions and drop a lot of weight. If you have not learned to bed a Remington recoil lug, that stock would be the perfect one to learn on. If you happen to be quarantined, I'd take the extra time, researching hollowing out the buttstock and bed that lug. Bet you would be happy with the results.

And I've had great luck with a number of different Timneys. Before I did the trigger swap, I'd buy a $6 Ernie the gunsmith trigger spring and drop it in there. They can make an amazing difference. Lot of easy cheap upgrades. Always liked the look of those rifles. Good luck.

OP
C
Sub 6
Is there a market for the factory stock?
I would really like to replace it with one of those stocks in a kuiu or woodland camo.Maybe even coat the action and barrel.
I had the factory trigger massaged years ago but will look into these suggestions.
I have a vx 2 3x9 on it and plan to replace it with 4.5x14x40 bc reticle or similer as well.
I watched a few videos on bedding and looks like a great option.

Last edited:
OP
C
Emailed mcmillan and got a quote and lead time,(7 months) i really like that mr stock in mcmillan gap camo.
I think i will just keep this gun sense i bought it for my first elk hunt and right before my first born and it does shoot good.
I also would like to get rid of the j lock crap on the bolt.
So about 700 for stock,150 for trigger,100 for new firing pin land 120 for coating barrel etc.
Scope upgrade later.
Am i missing anything
1100-1200 bucks plus what i have in the gun,i think I gave 650 or so 16 years ago.

FLS

WKR
Might want to look at a McMillan Edge. Red Hawk Rifles usually has them in stock.
I’ll second the Trigger Tech. I’ve got them in all my 700s. Sold a Calvin Elite and replaced it with a TT.

FLS

WKR
Less travel and better break. I’ve had several Calvin Elites some were great and some were not. All my Trigger Techs have been fantastic.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Trigger Techh, put one in my 270ti and 243 mtn rifle. Excellent for the money and easy installation and adjustment