Removing dry skin from elk skull

CO2130

WKR
Not sure if this is in the right place, as no where seems to fit it. But I’m curious if anyone has any tricks for taking off skin that has dried onto a skull plate. I shot a bull about 4 years ago and skinned most of it but there’s some skin and tissue left on it that is impossible to cut off now. Maybe a pressure washer? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pgohil

WKR
Soak it in water for a few days in a bucket. It's probobly gonna stink. After a day or so, it'll sofen up and peel of easy. That's been my experience with deer heads/skulls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Yep, soak it. Baking soda is another addition that can help loosen tissues. All a pressure washer will do is get you wet at this point.

Jeremy

hobbes

WKR
If you don't want to go the soaking route (which may be the easiest) you can typically start it loose by prying under it with a slotted screwdriver. Use a utility knife and the screwdriver together to break it free. You have to be careful not to cut or impale yourself since there is a lot of wrestling going on using this method.

stonewall

WKR
soak and pressure wash will do well. you may end up removing some color from the antler - you can re-stain as desired

ShakeDown

WKR
You can also use oxyclean. I’d boil it in water with a couple scoops of oxyclean, pressure wash, boil in 50:50 peroxide water mix, pressure wash, then boil in fresh set of peroxide/water mix till you get to desired level of white.

Edit: forgot to add, ALWAYS protect antlers by taping up and using plastic bags.

Edit x2: also can use a wire brush drill bit to scrape off the connective tissues behind the skull. I use a phillips screwdriver to pop the earbuds out as well if you haven’t done it yet. Works best after first degreasing boil.

Swede

WKR
I have used the kit that I purchased from Van Dykes. You start with hydrogen peroxide and water and boil it per instructions. Then cover it with a whitening paste before you mount the skull. You can get everything you need including the mount from Van Dykes. I don't remember the cost, but it should be under $100. I have done several skulls that way with no problems. You can be finished in less than a day including drying time, and it is really pretty easy once you get to where you are at. You have done the hard part