Rental trucks have hitch receivers?

TheCougar

WKR
I’ve got a Ram 1500 reserved through Avis for a hunt. I need to tow a SXS trailer during the hunt and I’m wondering if rental trucks have hitch receivers or not. I know that I am not allowed to tow with a rental… I would think all production 1/2 tons have receivers, but it wouldn’t surprise me if I showed up to get the truck and it didn’t have a receiver.

I'm going to say it's more than likely not going to have a reciever hitch.
My inlaws bought a ram 4x4 with a hemi that was a rental vehicle and it did not have a receiver hitch. So sample of one for first hand experience.

Surprisingly for a lot of 1/2 tons that's not standard equipment and a tow package has to be added.

hiker270

WKR
Have rented trucks and suv's from different rental companies and they have not had hitches. I believe I saw in one of the rental agreements that they did not allow towing. Two years ago I rented a truck on Turo with a hitch to tow a drift boat in Montana.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
That’s what I was worried about.
I'm going to say it's more than likely not going to have a reciever hitch.
My inlaws bought a ram 4x4 with a hemi that was a rental vehicle and it did not have a receiver hitch. So sample of one for first hand experience.

Surprisingly for a lot of 1/2 tons that's not standard equipment and a tow package has to be added.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would check Turo or some private rental companies. Some auto dealers rent vehicles.
I’ve already been looking through Turo. What is it with people owning trucks who don’t actually use a truck?!? All the trucks look like they’ve never even driven on a gravel road. I need something that can tow that I won’t feel bad about getting bloody and muddy. Even better with 4WD and off road tires would be even better. I’m pretty sure I can avoid pinstriping the damn thing. I don’t think there is anyone on Turo with a truck that you can actually use like a truck. WTH. I can just hear it now: “OMG, is that like mud on my rims? And you got the mounted shovel and hi-lift all dirty! and…. Ewwww, is that like blood on the tailgate?!? You’re going to pay to have my truck disinfected and detailed!!!”

Rant over. Back to searching for a truck! I’ll try the car dealerships.

fwafwow

WKR
We went through this for fishing trips. First, especially these days, there is no guarantee that a reservation for a specific model, or even a type, will be honored. Second, we used to walk through the rental lot before checking in. We would search for a truck with a hitch and then go to the desk and ask for that specific truck. It seemed to always work for us.

Last edited:

Thoff1989

Lil-Rokslider
I've rented quite a few vehicles in the past from Enterprise for work and usually the yukons, tahoe's, suburbans and 4runners had hitches. You could always cruise their parking lot after hours and see what you find. I know that the commerical enterprise rents trucks that allow towing but their rates are a bit more.

Htm84

WKR
Most of the rental trucks and suv’s up here have receivers but they put a seal on them. You’d have to brake the seal to tow anything. What they do if you do that I have no idea.

Scrappy

WKR
Had a wreck last year on a hunt. Rental companies don't have equipment with tow packages and don't allow towing. Wound up renting a uhaul truck. Actually was a better fit due to all the extra room to get everything home. Worth at least getting a quote from them.

The Ford super duties from home Depot have trailer hitches. I think they are only supposed to tow their own trailers or equipment.

You’ll be fine.

But - ask to go look over the vehicle before signing contract and to “see about maybe something different”. That way - you can take a peek and your rental and maybe a Plan B in the parking lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
Had a wreck last year on a hunt. Rental companies don't have equipment with tow packages and don't allow towing. Wound up renting a uhaul truck. Actually was a better fit due to all the extra room to get everything home. Worth at least getting a quote from them.
Enterprise Trucks rents 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and allows towing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 3.12.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-14 at 3.12.32 PM.png
    194.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Enterprise Trucks rents 3/4 and 1 ton trucks and allows towing.
Thanks. @Billy Goat showed me that. It doesn’t show up under regular enterprise, there is a truck version of enterprise that he showed me.
You’ll be fine.

But - ask to go look over the vehicle before signing contract and to “see about maybe something different”. That way - you can take a peek and your rental and maybe a Plan B in the parking lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just went through the Avis lot in PHX and it was hit and miss. All the Toyota TRDs and Z71 chevys had hitches. Many of the full size pickups did not. I think if I pick my vehicle carefully, I can probably find one on the lot that will do what I need. @skierjt also found a 4Runner on Turo that might do. I’m going to book it and contact the owner and get in writing that I can tow and off-road in it and get it dirty, but keep it out of anything that will pinstripe it. The profile pictures show it driving off-road and it says “no extreme off-roading”. Worth a shot.

I’ve already been looking through Turo. What is it with people owning trucks who don’t actually use a truck?!? All the trucks look like they’ve never even driven on a gravel road. I need something that can tow that I won’t feel bad about getting bloody and muddy. Even better with 4WD and off road tires would be even better. I’m pretty sure I can avoid pinstriping the damn thing. I don’t think there is anyone on Turo with a truck that you can actually use like a truck. WTH. I can just hear it now: “OMG, is that like mud on my rims? And you got the mounted shovel and hi-lift all dirty! and…. Ewwww, is that like blood on the tailgate?!? You’re going to pay to have my truck disinfected and detailed!!!”

Rant over. Back to searching for a truck! I’ll try the car dealerships.
I've got a truck that most people think that about. It's always clean.

It's been buried in the mud. Snaked through the trees to drag other trucks and downed trees with the winch. Up and down snowy single track mountain roads. Loaded down with all sorts of stuff, and driven down stuff my wife will call "not even a trail.

But it's always washed as soon as I'm done. On out of town trips, it's sometimes even washed in the middle of the trip.

I wouldn’t be too worried about turo. I’ve been using them for years, just don’t pin stripe it and plan a dedicated few hrs to get it cleaned up before return, you’ll be good.