Required Orange needed for photos?

I had read about something similar happening with ducks. Guys had their birds lined up on the tailgate for a picture and were cited for not seperating their limits. To me its not worth the risk because if a game warden cites you (even if he is in the wrong) then you have to go to court to prove your innocence.

It's not a party limit, only way pile pictures are legal is if they are tagged by individual hunters. Colored zip ties work.

That's federal, not different state to state, however probably only a fed warden would cite you for it.

SIontheHunt

Lil-Rokslider
While I don’t see hunters orange regs being repealed and actually having to wear it is little more than an annoyance sometimes (like when you put your puffy on or need to pull your rain shell over your head), the fact that these regs still exists in 2020 is just stupid. I was helping a buddy fill a bear tag back in sept. We hiked for miles and miles, saw all kinds of people: archery hunters, day hikers, backpackers, scouters, Mtn bikers etc. how in the hell can it possibly make any reasonable sense to any reasonable person that the only person in the woods required to wear orange is my buddy who is toting a rifle? It’s ******* stupid. Again, a little more than annoyance, but it is stupid that it is required.
I think everyone in the woods not wearing orange during hunting season should reevaluate. Even if I am accompanying someone else i have my orange on. If taking an extra 10 seconds to shed a layer keeps me from getting shot by some half blind trigger happy idiot I am all for it. Plus it keeps other hunters from stalking a critter I am already on.

JaredW

Lil-Rokslider
Here in Oklahoma the law regarding orange says "any person participating in..." the seasons requiring the orange, must wear the orange. I'd have to say if your still in the field with your harvest, it could easily be construed that your still participating in the hunting season. Maybe not if you have already attached, completed, checked all the boxes required after the harvest.

rayporter

WKR
following the logic some of you are using it would be perfectly ok and legal to remove your orange as soon as you pull the trigger and something hits the ground. you all know that is not true, i am sure.

Poser

WKR
I have an old neighbor who is a hunter who moved to NJ. Smart guy, data analysts, adult onset hunter who is very conscious of regulations, never had anything more than a speeding ticket in his life until he moved to NJ and got 3 hunting citations in his first year.

1. Went to a state park, bought a small game hunting License after asking some regulation related questions (he said it was a 40+ minute conversation) from a park ranger who then wrote him a ticket 15 minutes later for hunting on a Sunday in a state park.

2. Waterfowl hunting, legal shooting hours expired at say 6:17 that day. He got a ticket at 6:18 (literally 1 minute and on the dot after legal shooting hours) for having rounds chambered which is considered hunting.

3. Taking an orange vest off in the field for a minute to add a layer.

Rich M

WKR
Who is really a big enough weenie to get on someone's case about a photo without orange on? LOL!

Last edited:

Mosby

WKR
I wear an orange performance shirt under my coat etc., When it comes to dealing with the animal, I strip down to the orange shirt. I was questioned by a warden in Colorado this year and he specifically asked me to see a picture of my bull. I showed him a picture of me in an orange shirt. I didn't get the impression that it was a random question or that he wanted to admire my bull.