Retiring in a politically moderate community

OP
Newtosavage
Where in CO. does your son live?
He's on the front range near Denver, and probably will be from now on. That's way, way too many people for me, but it would be nice if my wife could see her son and dad could go on a hunt with his son without a lot of hassle too.

Youngest daughter has also given us the thumbs up to retire in CO, so she can come stay with us a few times/year. LOL

It would be nice to have a place where my son can get out of the rat race on the weekends and relax. He has a very stressful job.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Haha, NE WY is so politically to the right there's no need for politics it's just assumed everyone is extremely conservative. People here are not tolerant of liberals, it's more that they just keep to themselves so it appears that they are.
I am on my way! Seriously, that is all I need to know. I love the outdoor life in California, but hate everything else. Can’t wait to leave.

OP
Newtosavage
The past 14 years the Right in the country has become as nuts as the left.
We have Newt to thank for that IMO, and half the people on the far right don't even know who he is.

I'm sorry, but I'm just looking for some sanity. Or in the absence of that, somewhere that people don't shove their politics in your face - from either side.

I guess I can search county voting records and map it out, but I thought I'd ask here first.

SDHNTR

WKR
We have Newt to thank for that IMO, and half the people on the far right don't even know who he is.

I'm sorry, but I'm just looking for some sanity. Or in the absence of that, somewhere that people don't shove their politics in your face - from either side.

I guess I can search county voting records and map it out, but I thought I'd ask here first.
Boise ID seems pretty moderate to me. Hailey/Ketchum too. Very nice but expensive.

Come to Nebraska and pick a mid sized town. You get below 5k population and it will be very conservative, you get over 100k (only 2 cities) and it drifts more to the left.

I'm in a packing plant town and I love it, Hispanics make amazing food, believe in hard work and the American dream, and only care that people treat them well. Farmers drift right, some drift left, but most don't talk about it too much.

Sure there is a sign here or there, but you're much more likely to see a bunch of people out drinking beer and having a good time than you are political extremes!

And im only about 4:30 from Denver! If your good with diversity I recommend finding small a town with a lot of it. It tends to calm the extremes down because everyone knows they have to get along and so they chose not to be extra vocal about extreme positions.

Best of luck though

Hey, this place is fairly tame tbh.

Your right, but not seeing the irony.

Your complaining about people stuffing their politics in your face while going on a hunting forum and stuffing your politics in everyone's face.

Most hunting communities lean hard right
Out of necessity, to protect a simple and natural way of life from moderates, and leftys. (Self defense)

The strongest opinions in this thread have come from the moderates.

#selfawareness

Come to Nebraska and pick a mid sized town. You get below 5k population and it will be very conservative, you get over 100k (only 2 cities) and it drifts more to the left.

I'm in a packing plant town and I love it, Hispanics make amazing food, believe in hard work and the American dream, and only care that people treat them well. Farmers drift right, some drift left, but most don't talk about it too much.

Sure there is a sign here or there, but you're much more likely to see a bunch of people out drinking beer and having a good time than you are political extremes!

And im only about 4:30 from Denver! If your good with diversity I recommend finding small a town with a lot of it. It tends to calm the extremes down because everyone knows they have to get along and so they chose not to be extra vocal about extreme positions.

Best of luck though

They're full.

Maybe Belize?

Oregon

WKR
Interesting. I live in a fairly Red county of an extremely Blue state.

The only time politics are even talked about is when I come on the 2 hunting forums I frequent.

No BS, I can’t recall the last time I had a conversation (face to face) about politics.
Unless you consider whacking wolves politics??
No one has signs in their front lawns, we gather over beers at a tavern and we talk fishing, hunting or the day to day of work/family.

Only you can control the conversations you have.

mdp22

FNG
I live in eastern NM which is rural and mostly conservative. Originally from central SD but have lived in Tacoma, WA, southern CA and the UK. I’m right of center but have never encountered political disputes and have lived left dominated states. I started using only local news sources got rid of FB and my stress level has gone down quite a bit in regards to the political climate. We keep to ourselves too. We continuously look for property back in SD. I’m only 12 hours from my hometown so can get my hometown hunting fix pretty easy, job here is to good to give up right now.

OP
Newtosavage
Your right, but not seeing the irony.

Your complaining about people stuffing their politics in your face while going on a hunting forum and stuffing your politics in everyone's face.

Most hunting communities lean hard right
Out of necessity, to protect a simple and natural way of life from moderates, and leftys. (Self defense)

The strongest opinions in this thread have come from the moderates.

#selfawareness
Sorry if you felt so threatened by my moderate views that you felt the need to respond in that way.

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Last edited:
OP
Newtosavage

Best of luck though
You are spot on.

OP
Newtosavage
I live in eastern NM which is rural and mostly conservative. Originally from central SD but have lived in Tacoma, WA, southern CA and the UK. I’m right of center but have never encountered political disputes and have lived left dominated states. I started using only local news sources got rid of FB and my stress level has gone down quite a bit in regards to the political climate. We keep to ourselves too. We continuously look for property back in SD. I’m only 12 hours from my hometown so can get my hometown hunting fix pretty easy, job here is to good to give up right now.
I lived in Roswell for 4 years and couldn't tell it wasn't a West Texas town to be honest. But I made a lot of good friends there I still have today.