Revolver or Semi Auto for Grizz Protection

270quest

WKR
If I draw, I will be hunting moose this fall in a very grizzly friendly area. Bears have never bothered me, but at the same time, this unit probably has more bears than any other in the state. I am going to have a chest holster for my carry pistol that attaches to the binoc holder and sets underneath it for Fast access. My question is what should I pack. I have a xd40 4" that shoots very well and is very reliable - and I could get some +p type rounds for it. However, I never have felt comfortable packing with a round in the chamber and am not sure about working a slide in a high stressed bear charge. My new thought is to purchase a taurus 4" 44 double action. What do you all recommend?

If I draw, I will be hunting moose this fall in a very grizzly friendly area. Bears have never bothered me, but at the same time, this unit probably has more bears than any other in the state. I am going to have a chest holster for my carry pistol that attaches to the binoc holder and sets underneath it for Fast access. My question is what should I pack. I have a xd40 4" that shoots very well and is very reliable - and I could get some +p type rounds for it. However, I never have felt comfortable packing with a round in the chamber and am not sure about working a slide in a high stressed bear charge. My new thought is to purchase a taurus 4" 44 double action. What do you all recommend?

Having ten rounds vs six (if that’s what it is) might sway my choice. Probably some guides on here that’d have experience worth sharing. I don’t shoot small frame big caliber handguns very well either, but that’s only an admission of my own limitations as a shooter.

Mosby

WKR
I use a Glock 20 10 mm in bear country with a chest holster. I keep one in the chamber.

My son sometimes uses a 45 with Underwood Penetrators but we aren't around coastal bears. Some people are carrying 9mm so a 40 would work with the right bullets.

A lot of it is personal choice. I wouldn't carry a pistol in bear country without one in the chamber, so carry whatever works for you. Nothing wrong with a 44 revolver.

I carry a taurus tracker .44 mag in grizzly country and I think it’s great, however, I have read enough bear attack stories now that my preference has shifted to getting one of 2 10mm in semi. Glock 40 15+1 or a Rock Island ultra FS HC 16+1. I really am starting to feel uncomfortable with 5 rounds between me and the almighty. 16-17 rounds of rapid fire 10mm is absolutely devastating. These guns are meant to be carried with one in the chamber so you would have to work on getting comfortable with that.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Glock 10mm with one in the holster without question. It’s easy to get complacent out there but be prepared.

After black bear adventures at 12-2am for 4 nights in a row last year I’d highly recommend an under mounted super bright light and sights that glow in the dark. I have a veridian X5L with the green laser. Holster is custom made for that pistol and light combo. Goes on my hip belt during the day and next to my sleeping pad at night.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Since the glock 10mm seems to be a favorite, would anything be wrong running my XD 40 with hot loads such as Double Tap 200 grain Hard Casts?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I carry a g20 orettt much everywhere, I feel fine with that option and my rifle somewhere nearby at all times.

I used to tote big revolvers around but they are just too heavy, follow up shots are slower and I just don’t practice enough with them as I do with a Glock.

money nice thing about the glocks is they are all the same damn thing (just different sizes) so if I’m out shooting my g19, it works the exact same way as my g20 does so the practice is cheaper.

Glock 20 10mm in dropped offset holster ( bladetech ) can swap out with Red River Tactical holster if you want a light on it. Will not interfere with your backpack so it is always on you.

Most people when they have someone yelling at them during a pistol qualifier with a revolver will pull the full double action pull ( from hammer down )...which they typically have never practiced and miss by a mile.
The semi guys ( those not running decockers ) have the same pull every time and are more consistent.

Go find an IDPA club and start shooting matches. Most clubs I have seen have people that are friendly and will help with advice and tips. Shooting under time pressure is not the same as being charged but you start to get your motions about drawing, sight picture and trigger control hammered into place through repetitive drills. Seeing how you respond under time pressure will give you an idea of the best you will do under a charge.

If you are really lucky you can find clubs that will have a few low light shoots...those are nice if you are not used to running a light in the off hand or even if you are running weapon mounted one. ( nothing like being an SO and watching someone sweep their light hand w/ the barrel ) This way someone can get you on the right track up front.

15 yds from the holster at 6" gongs is a good drill to see how you are doing.

West.mass.hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Reliability of a revolver vs capacity of a pistol. That's a personal choice that only you can really make. Shoot both if you can and see what's better for you.
If you stick with your pistol make sure you shoot the +p ammo to see if theres any issues whether that's feeding issues, recoil issues or even just accuracy issues. Most +p have a lot more bite in the wrist then standard. Also KEEP ONE IN THE CHAMBER

I only have black bears out here. While scouting or hiking I would switch between a 40s&w pistol and a 357 revolver depending on what I was wearing and/or doing. When I'm out calling for bears I'll either carry the 357 revolver or my 44 revolver as a backup to my rifle.
I love having multiple toys to choose from

Revolver over a semi auto for bear protection any day of the week. I have been involved in DLP killings of brown/grizzly bears (only one with a handgun), and can tell you from experience that it is HIGHLY unlikely you will have the time to empty a clip into a charging bear that has just come out of nowhere. Fact is, in many instances, you’d be lucky to get a single shot or two off before the bear is on top of you. If the bear gets on top of you, hopefully you have a partner near by that can kill it, or you play dead and the bear loses interest, although, chances are the bear will not lose interest in you if you just put a bullet or two into it.
You want a revolver that delivers exceptional foot pounds of energy, that you can deploy very quickly and accurately. Also, to a certain extent, I believe that increased power can somewhat overcome not so precise accuracy, meaning you don’t necessarily have to take out the bears CNS in order to break the charge, given that the projectile you’re using is big enough and hits very hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tanker

Lil-Rokslider
Go with what your shoot well quickly and under stress. Modern striker fire semi autos are designed to and should be carried with one in the chamber. Since trigger pulls are typically lighter (im not an XD owner but very experienced with Glocks and Sigs) than on a double action revolver I would recommend a quality kydex holster that does not allow the trigger to be depressed.

skierhs

WKR
S&W 329pd. All my hunting is in grizzly country and I only carry the 44. It’s big and sucks to shoot but it will get the job done better than a 10mm will. No matter what you should always have one in the chamber while on griz country. Even when I’m rifle hunting with my 338 I’ll still carry the 44 Incase my rifle is not by my side for some reason(such as skinning and quartering game).

HawkCreek

Lil-Rokslider
I have a couple Glock 10mm pistols that I carry in a chest rig much of the time but in Grizz country I opt for a .45 Colt (loaded hot). I shoot a single action better than I do a Glock and I'd rather have one or two good hits with a big bore than several more mediocre hits/misses with a small caliber.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
I live in SE AK where brown bears are a daily consideration. I own a ruger .44 and a glock 10mm. I have not used the .44 since buying the 10mm. My reasoning is this
1. The glock is way more comfortable and easy to carry, which means I'm more likely to carry it.
2. I shoot it better.
3. I have 15 chances to make a good hit vs 6.
4. There is more potential energy / ftlbs of force in a magazine of 15 10 mm than a cylinder of 6 .44 mag. (Also realizing you probably won't get all 15 shots off).
5. Easier to shoot one handed if needed.

However, having been charged by a brown bear I will say carry what you are comfortable with and comes second nature because you wont have time to think when it does happen.

mtnkid85

WKR
Pick the one that you are most comfortable shooting and that you will practice with the most. Theres no use packing a 44 if your never going to practice with it.
If your not comfortable caring with one in the chamber take a class. There are safe ways to do it, you just need some one to show you and then you need to practice to get your self comfortable doing it. But do some searching around, not all instructors are equal.

OXN939

WKR
Since the glock 10mm seems to be a favorite, would anything be wrong running my XD 40 with hot loads such as Double Tap 200 grain Hard Casts?

I carry a G20 condition 3 (loaded mag, chamber empty), and the percentage of bear encounters where the difference between that and condition 1 (round chambered) would make a difference is negligibly small. Practice and proficiency with the setup you mention would make your hunt much safer than any kind of gear tweaks.