Riflescope Sunshade Yes or No?

slimC

FNG
What are you guy's thoughts on a sunshade on riflescope?

I have never used one in the past,

But on my last mule deer hunt I was having some particular issues with the sun when looking though the scope. Not to the point that I wouldn't be able to take a shot, more of just an annoyance.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What are you guy's thoughts on a sunshade on riflescope?

I have never used one in the past,

But on my last mule deer hunt I was having some particular issues with the sun when looking though the scope. Not to the point that I wouldn't be able to take a shot, more of just an annoyance.
It’s something you need more during a hunt than at the range. I don’t like having one on my rifle or trying to carry it to screw on when I need it.

I see lots of deer when I am glassing into the sun at sunset and sunrise. Deer are getting up to feed at that time. Shooting the same can happen.

Rather than a specific sunshade for my rifle, my partner and me made a universal sun shade for any optics. In the store at www.lswild.com

It is quick to go on any rifle or optics.C2D81A83-E546-41D8-927C-B4640980D82E.jpeg

9AEDD08A-93D1-4BB1-BF79-ACA4E351F16D.jpeg04F31892-D8C5-4636-A4F0-5E54B625ACB4.jpeg6CA9AC4A-0DC4-499B-B472-C045A9F5ECEF.jpeg

Attachments

• D7121A89-83C0-4C81-BC3A-4AC9F8BF9251.jpeg
    D7121A89-83C0-4C81-BC3A-4AC9F8BF9251.jpeg
    223.5 KB · Views: 19
  • F500FF30-C218-4F0B-921A-3647DF1B7CDC.jpeg
    F500FF30-C218-4F0B-921A-3647DF1B7CDC.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
slimC

slimC

FNG
It’s something you need more during a hunt than at the range. I don’t like having one on my rifle or trying to carry it to screw on when I need it.

I see lots of deer when I am glassing into the sun at sunset and sunrise. Deer are getting up to feed at that time. Shooting the same can happen.

Rather than a specific sunshade for my rifle, my partner and me made a universal sun shade for any optics. In the store at www.lswild.com

It is quick to go on any rifle or optics.View attachment 630847

View attachment 630842View attachment 630843View attachment 630844
I am liking that idea. Will for-sure check it out. Thanks!

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am liking that idea. Will for-sure check it out. Thanks!
Thanks. If you ever were glassing with binos and held your hat brim to cut the glare, that's the principle. On a rifle, you get more shading than possible with any screw on sun shade because of the length.

Its a newer product, so not many reviews on it, but we are getting some back after this season. We just set up a review/testimonial section on the website and one of our local customers put up a review.

No risk to check it out, Roksliders get a no questions ask return. 30% off for Thanksgiving till Nov 30.

McCrapper

Lil-Rokslider

File that under shit I never knew I needed. Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no optical downside to using one, only upside. The non-optical downsides are just that it adds length, makes your scope look goofy, and acts as a lever if anything were to hit it hard so it may screw up the threads it's attached to in the event that happens. The upside is that it cuts glare and keeps rain and other debris away from your objective lens while shooting. My scopes have sunshades on them 24/7 and I just put the scope cap on the end of the shade and never remove it. The thing with sunshades is you almost never need it but when you need it, you basically can't shoot without it.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
There is no optical downside to using one, only upside. The non-optical downsides are just that it adds length, makes your scope look goofy, and acts as a lever if anything were to hit it hard so it may screw up the threads it's attached to in the event that happens. The upside is that it cuts glare and keeps rain and other debris away from your objective lens while shooting. My scopes have sunshades on them 24/7 and I just put the scope cap on the end of the shade and never remove it. The thing with sunshades is you almost never need it but when you need it, you basically can't shoot without it.
You are right on all points. I know quite a few that leave theirs's on all the time.

Except, if it does get wet or dirty, it is harder to clean it--but admittedly, that is the point of the shade and cap--to keep it cleaner. I just can't get myself to deal with the sunshade 24/7.

Except, if it does get wet or dirty, it is harder to clean it--but admittedly, that is the point of the shade and cap--to keep it cleaner. I just can't get myself to deal with the sunshade 24/7.
That would be an issue at the ring height I have on one rifle. I'd have to remove the Aadland scope cap with my allen key to remove the shade and clean it. But since I've now seen the light and am going to higher scope rings (for comfort), I'll be able to just screw it off with the scope cap still on it so no longer a problem. Your sunshade would work well for guys that aren't willing to keep it on though.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That would be an issue at the ring height I have on one rifle. I'd have to remove the Aadland scope cap with my allen key to remove the shade and clean it. But since I've now seen the light and am going to higher scope rings (for comfort), I'll be able to just screw it off with the scope cap still on it so no longer a problem. Your sunshade would work well for guys that aren't willing to keep it on though.
It is kinda surprising that more folk don't get in situations that often that get them to understand the value. It is partly hunting coues deer in the desert, but we get it a lot more in AZ it seems. Local guys immediately understand how helpful it will be for first and last light glassing. That's an every day occurence for guys that know you have to glass into the shadows to find big bucks, which is directly into the sun...

Great freaking timing. I was taking my honeycomb off the scope this morning because it was hurting me too much pre-sunrise light. Once the ARD was out I was able to see fine with the SHV 3-10 scope.

Ordered and looking forward to testing it out.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use my breathable fleece jacket (Patagonia R1 Air) to create a “dark room” when glassing here in Arizona. The bino shade covers work but aren’t anywhere near as effective as looking like a hobo.

View attachment 630890
Lol, I do the exact same thing. I always cover my head with my schmerga or whatever those scarf things are called.

Makes glassing SO much easier on the eyes all day long.

I bought a set of these eye shields for that purpose. They work really well and I can keep my jacket on. Plus when I am handing the glass back and forth with someone else the shields go too.

1700704085327.png

I have two rifles with and two rifles without. I prefer a sunshade and have found them useful. On some rifles they look badass, some they look goofy. On this rifle, I thought it looked goofy and ultimately swapped out the entire scope for a 2.5-15x42 with no sunshade.
IMG_1219.jpeg

I think it looks pretty good on this one and have left it on:
IMG_0681.jpeg

I have two rifles with and two rifles without. I prefer a sunshade and have found them useful. On some rifles they look badass, some they look goofy. On this rifle, I thought it looked goofy and ultimately swapped out the entire scope for a 2.5-15x42 with no sunshade.

I think it looks pretty good on this one and have left it on:
The longer the taper on the objective, the less weird it looks.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I bought a set of these eye shields for that purpose. They work really well and I can keep my jacket on. Plus when I am handing the glass back and forth with someone else the shields go too.

View attachment 630933
They work great. Bugged having in on my face or I would have used them. Made me sweaty sometimes.

I don’t mind the cover, helps keep the hot sun off my head and neck too. AZ problems… it’s a dry heat.

They work great. Bugged having in on my face or I would have used them. Made me sweaty sometimes.

I don’t mind the cover, helps keep the hot sun off my head and neck too. AZ problems… it’s a dry heat.

Yeah, they are easier to work with in cooler weather. My part of Texas can be a dry heat or a humid swamp depending on where the wind is coming from. I have caught myself flipping the eye shield forward when it is hot. I still get some light blocking and air flow.

repins05

WKR
Yeah, they are easier to work with in cooler weather. My part of Texas can be a dry heat or a humid swamp depending on where the wind is coming from. I have caught myself flipping the eye shield forward when it is hot. I still get some light blocking and air flow.
Anyone find that a sunshade inhibits light gathering in low light conditions?