Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

Fatcamp

WKR
Ya, not his biggest fan but I have enjoyed his material.

I will say, his episode in Arizona where he chased Coues deer was pretty cool. Where he sat on a rock and revisited his time with his father and wished he could be there. For those of us who no longer have our fathers it was pretty emotional and seemed heartfelt.

This Fall as my sons carried out my rifle and deer skull thinking about my father and how proud he would have been of them almost brought me to tears. That episode was new ground for sure. Jason Matzinger(sp) does some similar stuff, but SR was the first I had seen to do it so eloquently and presented the episode without a shot being fired. I really appreciated that.

KurtR

WKR
Anyone remember Jeff Foiles and his videos Fallin Skys? I do own a bunch of his duck calls, because I could get them to sound better than any other, and still have them.
His calls do sound good. He needs one named the straight city park. Wonder if he got any prison tats

KurtR

WKR
You being a resident from the better Dakota, with a NR cap of what, 4k NR waterfowl hunters, I don't expect you to notice much duck hunting pressure.......I'm very jealous.
ya i know thats the main reason. My kid has been bit hard by the waterfowl bug so we are planning some out of state hunts maybe in kansas or nebraska next year so i am sure i will get to experience some of that pressure. No elk hunt for me next year but i am alright as waterfowl is my first true love. I figured with canada closed you guy would be swamped this year

Last edited:
Anyone remember Jeff Foiles and his videos Fallin Skys? I do own a bunch of his duck calls, because I could get them to sound better than any other, and still have them.

I remember him. He's the guy who killed his buddy's prized lab by shooting at a duck the dog was almost to and spent something like 13 months in prison for breaking game laws. I'm pretty sure he was killing park ducks/geese illegally to put their bands on his lanyard too?

NDGuy

WKR
I remember him. He's the guy who killed his buddy's prized lab by shooting at a duck the dog was almost to and spent something like 13 months in prison for breaking game laws. I'm pretty sure he was killing park ducks/geese illegally to put their bands on his lanyard too?
ya that guy was a piece of work..ha

I remember they shot like 100 geese in early season and dumped all of them off at the migrant workers trailer acting like they were saving starving people lol more like too lazy to clean 100 geese when it's 80 degrees out

2rocky

WKR
Was it better in the 50's when Gordon Eastman was doing it?

I'm pretty sure in my lifetime, hunting is going to become an underground activity. Poaching even may replace it. I think the huge spotlight of the "industry" will be part of the reason. Right now, middle class Americans are doing hunts that previously were only accessible to the richest 10% of the population. Before the 50's you didn't hunt elk in Wyoming or Montana unless you lived there or you came out from "back East" and hired an outfitter who likely was born in the county they guided in.

Too many people have pooped in their nest and descended on the Western public lands for their recreation and retirement. Access to Information and ease of travel have made them more accessible than ever. Game departments will replace the Human hunter with apex predators and accept the game population swings that will occur until a predator/prey stasis occurs. Mainly because budgets will not support the enforcement needed to regulate the human hunters. Also management by popular opinion will overrule science by sheer numbers and noise.

Was it better in the 50's when Gordon Eastman was doing it?

I'm pretty sure in my lifetime, hunting is going to become an underground activity. Poaching even may replace it. I think the huge spotlight of the "industry" will be part of the reason.

MeatEaters products and Gordon Eastman's films are apples and oranges IMO.

Highly doubt hunting will become an underground thing. The "hipster" culture has been, and continues to trend towards, urban homesteading and caring about non-processed, natural, etc. food. There's only one way to guarantee clean food, and that's by fishing, growing, or hunting your own.

If anything, I can see COVID being a net-positive for hunter numbers and being a staging point for reversing the decline.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
If they really are for what they say on the original post about no social media and taking the "hero" mentality out of hunting... then I'm all for it. Don't think it will go anywhere but i agree with them. Social media is poisoning alot of things in our world. Hunting is too "cool" now with "cool" ego videos and "cool" gear. Just living and minding our own business isn't enough anymore and I'm guilty of it too

Billinsd

WKR
He was way out of control.

zacattack

WKR
I think its primarily limited to the lower end of the Mississippi flyway. Google "duck hunting boat race Arkansas" and you will be amazed.
Yeah I’m originally from Mississippi and that crap got stupid real fast. It was also dangerous, you had a lot of guys with more money than sense racing up and down rivers in freezing ass cold weather. Not a good recipe. Everybody and their brother had a black lab, surface drive boat, face paint and a small fortune in calls.

Anyhow, I’ve listened several times when his brother Matt is in the show and he was at the Michigan live show I went to. He is pretty honest and up front about not liking what meat eater exposure has done for hunting.

Billinsd

WKR
Was it better in the 50's when Gordon Eastman was.....

I'm pretty sure in my lifetime, hunting is going to become an underground activity. Poaching even may replace it. I think the huge spotlight of the "industry" will be part of the reason. Right now, middle class Americans are doing hunts that previously were only accessible to the richest 10% of the population. Before the 50's you didn't hunt elk in Wyoming or Montana unless you lived there or you came out from "back East" and hired an outfitter who likely was born in the county they guided in.
I watched some of those Gordon Eastman films as a kid with my dad I'm sure. Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming where where I went as a kid in the 70s, my generous dad flying us out and sometimes hiring guides. Were elk and deer numbers higher in the 50s? I thought elk were lower and deer higher. When Nixon stopped predator poisoning, I thought deer numbers went down. Was hunting better in the 50s? Depends. If you lived in a great hunting area far from the cities and your family showed you the ropes it was better. In the 70s as a kid trying to glean information out of hunting magazines was almost impossible. Most authors went on guided hunts and wrote beautiful stories about what a great time THEY had with little useful info. The 90s were great for me after the advent of the internet and information for people like me who could root it out and early guys like Mike Eastman, Larry and Dwight Schuh books. Now we are information over saturated. The early 90s were the BEST for big game hunting for me. I know a biologist in California said he expects more poaching with all the foreign nationals that have little regard for the law. Less hunters and more poachers in California. The virtu signaling, censorship, culture cancelling, electronics, social media, and culture war against traditional American culture and traditions that can end careers getting into good universities, etc. is eliminating future hunters. My kids probably won't hunt in the future and certainly carry the tradition forward and that's fine with me, because hunting has gotten so difficult and fraught with animosity against it. I remember in Colorado and New Mexico, virtually all non resident hunters and skiers were from Texas, because it's close. I remember a guide telling me, both Californians and Texans were buying up land and flocking to Colorado, the Texans loved to hunt and ski and keep the way of life the same. Californians want to change things. Californians weren't always like this, though. Many from New York and the East Coast that came to California in the 60s, 70s and beyond brought their liberal ideologies with them. That and the millions upon millions of foreign nationals flooding the state, it's now deep blue and exports liberal ideologies now.

Last edited:

Billinsd

WKR
You should all watch Steve Rhinella's "Stars in the Sky". I thought his brother Mike was in it. After watching it, I can see Mike saying what he says. Seems to me that hunting is a way of life to him in a much deeper way than Steve if that's possible.

mwebs

WKR
Yeah I’m originally from Mississippi and that crap got stupid real fast. It was also dangerous, you had a lot of guys with more money than sense racing up and down rivers in freezing ass cold weather. Not a good recipe. Everybody and their brother had a black lab, surface drive boat, face paint and a small fortune in calls.

Anyhow, I’ve listened several times when his brother Matt is in the show and he was at the Michigan live show I went to. He is pretty honest and up front about not liking what meat eater exposure has done for hunting.

Definitely wasn’t just a lower fly way thing. Upper Mississippi got flooded to, may have been more because of the surface drives in my opinion. No longer had to drag the old Johnson outboard through the marsh for miles while my dad sipped coffee in the boat with the dogs, you could just drive everywhere, plus guys thought they were cool. I remember the first few times getting passed by long tails and getting pissed haha.

That must be embarrassing.

This was posted by Matt. Steve's brother. They disagree on the topic overall. In no way is Steve trying to shut the door behind him. Although he isn't afraid to broach the subject. Many times Steve has brought up the fact that he's not sure if the hunting industry is a net gain or loss. Its a very interesting conversation. Matt like Steve is another very deep thinker. If you get a chance to hear him talk you should listen it might open peoples minds. Even if you don't necessarily want to hear what he has to say.
I don’t have facebook so I assumed it was Steve and nothing in the text available on Rokslide at the time indicated it was Matt, so I am not embarrassed at all.
I have listened to both of them plenty on the meat eater podcast. Matt and Steve are very ideologically similar, even though Steve has become a celebrity. Whether it’s Matt or Steve, it doesn’t change my opinion that it’s none of their business what I do with the animals I hunt—within the bounds of the laws—and what I do with the pictures I take etc. Matt is a biologist up here in AK and I think I’m safe assuming that like his brother Steve, Matt is also a leftist snob who likes to dictate what others do.

OntHunter

FNG
Oh, it must be that time of the year now for a organization like that to start up. Fire bull season must now be over

slick

WKR
I don’t have facebook so I assumed it was Steve and nothing in the text available on Rokslide at the time indicated it was Matt, so I am not embarrassed at all.
I have listened to both of them plenty on the meat eater podcast. Matt and Steve are very ideologically similar, even though Steve has become a celebrity. Whether it’s Matt or Steve, it doesn’t change my opinion that it’s none of their business what I do with the animals I hunt—within the bounds of the laws—and what I do with the pictures I take etc. Matt is a biologist up here in AK and I think I’m safe assuming that like his brother Steve, Matt is also a leftist snob who likes to dictate what others do.

Yeah, except for the very first post.

Those dang leftists. Maybe they know how to read?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
Yeah, except for the very first post.

Those dang leftists. Maybe they know how to read?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but don’t you know that, when all else fails, you just scream “LIBERAL” and it automatically makes you right? This works even when you’ve literally gotten every fact wrong in every post you’ve made.