Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

No way I'm reading through all the comments, so not sure if this has been said already, but Steve Rinella has said SEVERAL times on his podcast that his brother, Matt, is outspoken about not being a huge fan of what Steve does for a living and more people being in the woods than years past. Steve also has said many a times that the relationship with his two brother's is outstanding and just recently had Matt's wife on the podcast.

This is not something that came out of nowhere, although it is ironic/coincidental that Matt's brother is one of the most influential hunters on planet Earth.

He also said he likes her better than Matt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Nowhere on the first post when I read it did it say it was from Matt.

Interesting. You can see when someone has edited a post because on the bottom it’ll say edited.

The original post hasn’t been edited. So that means it’s been there the whole time. It’s ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NoWiser

WKR
Nowhere on the first post when I read it did it say it was from Matt.
Strange, because I read the first post minutes after it was made and it was right there. Plus, the whole “edited” note that shows up if it was changed, as mentioned. It’s ok, you can admit it. You never cared what the first (or any other) post said, you just wanted to scream liberal and turn the thread political.

Matt just put up a new knife design video. I don’t know if it’s a direct shot at Steve’s $300 knife but it almost has to be.

ODB

WKR
Matt just put up a new knife design video. I don’t know if it’s a direct shot at Steve’s $300 knife but it almost has to be.

The DDd thing is one of the more perplexing/funny things I’ve seen. If Matt is criticizing the instagram hunter he knows his really criticizing his brother, if he is, it’s a pretty harsh criticism, especially in public.

I have to think what my own brother would think if I did that to him. As good a sport as anyone might claim to be, eventually it will start to grate.

Or this is all just fun and games by the both of them.

Spoonbill

WKR
The DDd thing is one of the more perplexing/funny things I’ve seen. If Matt is criticizing the instagram hunter he knows his really criticizing his brother, if he is, it’s a pretty harsh criticism, especially in public.

I have to think what my own brother would think if I did that to him. As good a sport as anyone might claim to be, eventually it will start to grate.

Or this is all just fun and games by the both of them.
Matt is secretly launching his low cost hunting gear aimed at those who think everything related to meat eater is overpriced. I think its a giant conspiracy for the Rinella crime family to take control of the hunting industry.
In all seriousness, Matt probably made that as an alternative to people who won’t spend 300 on a knife. From a marketing perspective it is genius, hell there are 8 pages of post just on rokslide of people talking about it.

ODB

WKR
Matt is secretly launching his low cost hunting gear aimed at those who think everything related to meat eater is overpriced. I think its a giant conspiracy for the Rinella crime family to take control of the hunting industry.
In all seriousness, Matt probably made that as an alternative to people who won’t spend 300 on a knife. From a marketing perspective it is genius, hell there are 8 pages of post just on rokslide of people talking about it.

He’s doing a poor job if he’s selling shirts and hats at cost ;-)

Given the numerous comments Steve has made on the podcast how Matt is annoyed at the publicity of hunting stuff, I’d have to say truer things are said in jest.

it’s probably why he’s not in the show anymore either. The early shows were a dude hunting and selling books...now it’s shill central

CBreeze

FNG
He’s doing a poor job if he’s selling shirts and hats at cost ;-)

Given the numerous comments Steve has made on the podcast how Matt is annoyed at the publicity of hunting stuff, I’d have to say truer things are said in jest.

it’s probably why he’s not in the show anymore either. The early shows were a dude hunting and selling books...now it’s shill central
Honestly man, it was always shill central. He just started with a small catalog, like most new businesses do. Now he’s one step above those YouTubers with clickbait titles and quizzical expressions on the thumbnail for their shill review.
“Lightest most durable floorless ever!!??!?
“Do I need another pair of gaiters!!?!??””
“Best ever supplement plan under 300$???!!!”

and only one step above those whores cuz he’s getting paid hard while they’re scrapping for free gear and some add money

Are hunters the only ones who complain when they get what they say they want (more participation in hunting)?

How many hunters over the decades have volunteered their time to "guarantee the future of hunting" by teaching new hunters? I thought this was an admirable thing, only to then find out that hunters complain when they encounter new hunters...

It's the most baffling thing to me.

Are hunters the only ones who complain when they get what they say they want (more participation in hunting)?

How many hunters over the decades have volunteered their time to "guarantee the future of hunting" by teaching new hunters? I thought this was an admirable thing, only to then find out that hunters complain when they encounter new hunters...

I know tag availability and new hunters do not necessarily go hand-in-hand but there’s plenty of demand for hunting. Even out here in western Kansas I saw more hunters trampling through the WIHA for pheasants and deer then I can remember.
I think we’re at peak popularity right now. Eventually people are going to get tired of stumbling over each other to try to get hunting access on a piece of public ground that’s been trampled to death. When they leave the sport. That’ll be fine with me. I’m sure they’ll be people still banging that we need more recruitment drum but I’m honestly tired of hearing it.

I know tag availability and new hunters do not necessarily go hand-in-hand but there’s plenty of demand for hunting. Even out here in western Kansas I saw more hunters trampling through the WIHA for pheasants and deer then I can remember.
I think we’re at peak popularity right now. Eventually people are going to get tired of stumbling over each other to try to get hunting access on a piece of public ground that’s been trampled to death. When they leave the sport. That’ll be fine with me. I’m sure they’ll be people still banging that we need more recruitment drum but I’m honestly tired of hearing it.
Fair enough.

I subscribe to the idea that if the hunters we have are the "right" hunters (ethical, respectful of those who don't hunt an even those who don't agree with hunting, etc.) then we don't need armies of hunters to keep our tradition/lifestyle alive. But waves of unethical "in your face" chest thumpers only set us back in many ways by creating a backlash that we shouldn't have to deal with.

That's just my oversimplification of a very complex issue.

ODB

WKR
Honestly man, it was always shill central. He just started with a small catalog, like most new businesses do. Now he’s one step above those YouTubers with clickbait titles and quizzical expressions on the thumbnail for their shill review.
“Lightest most durable floorless ever!!??!?
“Do I need another pair of gaiters!!?!??””
“Best ever supplement plan under 300$???!!!”

and only one step above those whores cuz he’s getting paid hard while they’re scrapping for free gear and some add money

Not on season 1 it wasn’t. It was a hunting show and he had two books out. That’s it. No merch. That’s why I liked it and (in my opinion) where it was at its best.

success is a multi-headed beast. And in the end, is it really success? But each of us has our own definition of success.

Lawnboi

WKR

It’s all greed. We are approaching the point where ballot box and managing by feelings is happening everywhere.

People are greedy.

I don’t agree with all that was said, but I do think the cost to hunt is getting nuts and am sick of the exponential growth money wise. I’m also pretty not a fan of the guide industry as a whole.

More people, less public property, more greed makes for what we have now.

Not one for social media but does anyone know if meateater and/or Steven have responded to Matt's posts?

I feel like they might be in on an ultimate joke but he's also cutting pretty direct with some of this...

CBreeze

FNG
Not on season 1 it wasn’t. It was a hunting show and he had two books out. That’s it. No merch. That’s why I liked it and (in my opinion) where it was at its best.

success is a multi-headed beast. And in the end, is it really success? But each of us has our own definition of success.
If you can’t see the progression from 2 books to where it is now and how it has grown in big spurts every couple years, I can’t show it to you. All I can tell you is that he had his eyes on the prize the moment he left the gate witha book. Then it was 2 books. Then it was 2 books and a show.... in fact you’d never had heard of him if he never came up with something to sell.

ODB

WKR
If you can’t see the progression from 2 books to where it is now and how it has grown in big spurts every couple years, I can’t show it to you. All I can tell you is that he had his eyes on the prize the moment he left the gate witha book. Then it was 2 books. Then it was 2 books and a show.... in fact you’d never had heard of him if he wasn’t selling you something.

don’t make the mistake of inferring I’m obtuse.

and if you think at show #1 he thought he’d be where he is now, you are fooling yourself. Even he said he couldn’t have imagined that American Buffalo would have led to where he is now. When he was on his early book tour, there is zero chance he was thinking “this will lead to spice rubs, fancy knives and gnome shirts.” What you are seeing is the momentum of effort to keep the boat upright.

people don’t write books to become merchandisers. Only people who have done it will know what I mean.

CBreeze

FNG
don’t make the mistake of inferring I’m obtuse.

and if you think at show #1 he thought he’d be where he is now, you are fooling yourself. Even he said he couldn’t have imagined that American Buffalo would have led to where he is now. When he was on his early book tour, there is zero chance he was thinking “this will lead to spice rubs, fancy knives and gnome shirts.” What you are seeing is the momentum of effort to keep the boat upright.

people don’t write books to become merchandisers. Only people who have done it will know what I mean.
What percentage of people who wrote books follow those efforts up with a show? Kind of small really in the scheme of things. He’s a marketer. Well and truly. I wonder if the books were more a result of his relationship with his wife’s family or his passion? Seems they were the medium most readily and immediately available to him, and having exploited them, he quickly diversified his efforts.

none of this is a critique, but the man is a shill from the word go. It is what it is and matters how little or much as it does, but honest and objective evaluation really gets you only to one conclusion here

VenaticOppidan

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe in your western states. Pennsylvania in 1999 sold just under 1 million resident adult licenses, this year they sold about 558k. Demand has continued to drop year after year, you can look at the last 10, this was the first year with a slight uptick, many attribute that to adding a few Sundays we could hunt and a deer opener on a Saturday instead of a Monday.

I understand the frustration, but we do need hunters, we do need recruitment, even if 1/4 of these Instagram hunters stick with it, it will help. How long do you think they will manage game and throw money at programs and "allow" us to hunt if we are few and far between?

I would like to see how many of states total number of hunters, not non resident, has actually risen in the last 10 years, I am sure there is very few, if any.