Rings for Weatherby? I’ve had it with Talley - EDIT, nope, not Talley

Bluto

WKR
I thought it was odd to have my first failure ever with Talley. It’s NOT Talley rings. Ordered replacement, exact same result. Calipers on the way to check scope tube spec, but I’m not seeing how it’s the problem. Solution is likely a new scope to get ready for this hunt, and figure this out as I go. I just wanted to ensure I changed this title, and frankly, apologize to Talley.

I have a Weatherby Cinderlite (Mark V, 6 lug) with a SWFA scope. Both I’m extremely happy with. The Talley rings, not so much. I’ve tried bare, talc, even a single wrap of electrical tape as a last ditch effort and these things will not hold a scope. (Torqued to spec. Tried an extra in-lb to cheat, no luck.) They make about 6 shots before I end up with a 10-12 degree can’t. It’s driving me bonkers.

Here’s the rub, I can’t find anyone who makes rings that don’t require a rail, which I have no desire to put on my rifle. It’s a 308 hunting rifle, not interested in anything heavy, canted, rail mount, “tactical,” etc.

Am I missing someone that makes decent 30mm lightweight rings?

Last edited:
I have a Weatherby Cinderlite (Mark V, 6 lug) with a SWFA scope. Both I’m extremely happy with. The Talley rings, not so much. I’ve tried bare, talc, even a single wrap of electrical tape as a last ditch effort and these things will not hold a scope. (Torqued to spec. Tried an extra in-lb to cheat, no luck.) They make about 6 shots before I end up with a 10-12 degree can’t. It’s driving me bonkers. Here’s the rub, I can’t find anyone who makes rings that don’t require a rail, which I have no desire to put on my rifle. It’s a 308 hunting rifle, not interested in anything heavy, canted, rail mount, “tactical,” etc. Am I missing someone that makes decent 30mm lightweight rings

Something is definitely wrong with those rings. I am also not a fan of talley rings but I would email talley and let them know. Bet they send you a new set of rings and this problem goes away.

Assuming you have not lapped these. If you did then for sure you will get that issue.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Saw those, they don’t come very highly recommended but at this point I may try them. But thanks for the reminder that they at least exist. I really wanted to try Seekins or Hawkins with Burris XTR bases - no dice on the bases.

My best recommended solution a year ago was to buy a rail and cut it. I think I may still be at that wall. Near MFG makes a rail that I actually like, but at $375 just for the rail, I’ll be cutting one I think.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Something is definitely wrong with those rings. I am also not a fan of talley rings but I would email talley and let them know. Bet they send you a new set of rings and this problem goes away.

Assuming you have not lapped these. If you did then for sure you will get that issue.

Not a bad idea. I definitely didn’t lap them, that’s a good point.

Have you looked into DNZ game reaper?
I've had good luck with them so far on a browning xbolt, bergara woodsman, and tikka t3x.
They're pretty lightweight and nicely machined from my experiences

Bater

WKR
As stated above lap your Talley’s, torque to 20in lbs your issue will be gone.

amassi

WKR
Saw those, they don’t come very highly recommended but at this point I may try them. But thanks for the reminder that they at least exist. I really wanted to try Seekins or Hawkins with Burris XTR bases - no dice on the bases.

My best recommended solution a year ago was to buy a rail and cut it. I think I may still be at that wall. Near MFG makes a rail that I actually like, but at $375 just for the rail, I’ll be cutting one I think.
Warne makes a 2 piece base that will fit their mtn tech rings.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Have you looked into DNZ game reaper?
I've had good luck with them so far on a browning xbolt, bergara woodsman, and tikka t3x.
They're pretty lightweight and nicely machined from my experiences

Yep. Trying to find two piece bases. I’ve heard good things about these, though.

As stated above lap your Talley’s, torque to 20in lbs your issue will be gone.

Outside of my wheelhouse. I have to believe that someone makes high enough quality rings that work without gunsmithing. (Assuming. The scope is high quality as well.)

Warne makes a 2 piece base that will fit their mtn tech rings.

Trying to track some down now. This looks like my option. The W’by 6 lug model seems to be a bit more scarce. (Warne shows backordered.) I actually tried these to start, but they won’t accept any picatinny rings. If the Warne rings will work better, this should solve it.

amassi

WKR
Yep. Trying to find two piece bases. I’ve heard good things about these, though.

Outside of my wheelhouse. I have to believe that someone makes high enough quality rings that work without gunsmithing. (Assuming. The scope is high quality as well.)

Trying to track some down now. This looks like my option. The W’by 6 lug model seems to be a bit more scarce. (Warne shows backordered.) I actually tried these to start, but they won’t accept any picatinny rings. If the Warne rings will work better, this should solve it.
Yea the lug slot isn't picatinny so your limited with Warne rings. And maybe burris extreme rings.
I've also cut leupold backcountry 0moa rails so they didn't cover the ejection port and that worked fine

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Thanks, sndmn11

Yep, tried with Burris. I asked them if the Rem700’s would work. They wouldn’t say, said to ask W’by. W’by wouldn’t say yes or no, said buy W’by.

Apparently the 700’s are identical spacing, but are .002 lower than the W’by.

Oh, how I covet some Hawkins hybrid rings. But they’re like a model T. You can have them for any gun you like, so long as it’s a Rem700 lol

Last edited:
OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Maybe I’m looking for the wrong thing.

Anyone make 30mm weaver style rings? Searching…

amassi

WKR
Thanks, sndmn11

Yep, tried with Burris. I asked them if the Rem700’s would work. They wouldn’t say, said to ask W’by. W’by wouldn’t say yes or no, said buy W’by.

Apparently the 700’s are identical spacing, but are .002 lower than the W’by.

Oh, how I covet some Hawkins hybrid rings. But they’re like a model T. You can have them for any gun you like, so long as it’s a Rem700 lol
If you use a rem 2 piece 700 base it will work buy you'll have negative 10 moa base, if your scope has a ton of elevation adjustment it won't matter

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Considering that - I guess my question is that if there’s misalignment from the front to rear mounting height, won’t that drive more ring insides?

One other option I just found. Warne bases with Vortex precision machined rings. They make a weaver style. Heard a rumor that they are Seekins rings…

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Weatherby Cinderlite (Mark V, 6 lug) with a SWFA scope. Both I’m extremely happy with. The Talley rings, not so much. I’ve tried bare, talc, even a single wrap of electrical tape as a last ditch effort and these things will not hold a scope. (Torqued to spec. Tried an extra in-lb to cheat, no luck.) They make about 6 shots before I end up with a 10-12 degree can’t. It’s driving me bonkers.

Here’s the rub, I can’t find anyone who makes rings that don’t require a rail, which I have no desire to put on my rifle. It’s a 308 hunting rifle, not interested in anything heavy, canted, rail mount, “tactical,” etc.

Am I missing someone that makes decent 30mm lightweight rings?
I got a new mark v this year, didn't want a rail cuz I don't like the look. Bought Warne bases and rings, night force shv 30mm, works great. Even got the rings in burnt bronze to match the barrel. I'd check warne

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
May be my only option without cutting. Not a fan of the goofy looking knob on the base of the warne rings, but if they hold I guess I’ll get over it.

I emailed Talley to see if they have any ideas. I’ll give them a day or two and see. I really like the Talleys, I just wish they worked.

Tourguide

Lil-Rokslider
I wanted to use Talleys too, but my LGS told me they have been having some issues with them cracking. I tried some leupold bases but the offset would qork with the scope tube length

On my mark 5 (since sold) super big game master, I use Burris signature rings with the plastic inserts. They worked great.

Also used Burris bases too - I think they were called double dovetail bases as I recall.

Everything worked fine. Held without slipping in a hard kicking 300 win mag rifle that was like 6.5 lbs.