Rokslide Welcomes Kryptek Clothing!

So I have been hunting mix and match cammo for a long time. I primarily use Under Armour base layers and hunting pants ( I know according to most on this website they make crap and only crap and Cameron Hanes sucks), I have been using the UA stuff for three years and it isn't bad stuff. I do spend more than 2 weeks in the woods every year and put my gear through the ringer. I am wondering if Kryptek is a lot better quality for back country trips. It seem to be priced well. Just wondering what people think about it. I will be buying new pants and rain gear for early season archery and smoke pole hunts in the high country. One plus to Cabela's carrying their gear is Cabela's has excellent customer service IMO.

jmez

WKR
I haven't had any trouble with mine. I really like the gear. Used it mountain lion hunting and on a back country elk hunt. Rain gear kept me dry the couple times I used it. Use their hunting shirts, hoodie and vest as well. The hunting shirts run small but are durable, wick moisture and have some stretch/give to them. Vest is very lightweight and warm. Also have an Aegis extreme weather coat and that think is really warm, light and quiet even in single digit temps. I don't use their pants as I haven't found anything to compare with Sitka Mountain pants.

Hunted some pretty nasty stuff for elk and didn't have any durability issues with the clothes. I would recommend you try it on, esp the hunting shirts, I don't like a compression type fit so bought big. Never wore U/A so can't compare. I microtex prior to getting the Kryptek and so far like it much better. Much lighter and better cut/fit than microtex.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
After filming my friend Troy in his Kryptek this past archery season in CO, I have to say I'm really intrigued with this camo.

Seemed like the elk looked right through him.

MattB

WKR
I checked out the Kryptek gear at the sheep show this past weekend and they have some nice pieces. Their heavier rain gear is the quietest piece of packable rain gear other than MT050 that I have played with. The MT050 has some deficiencies in terms of not drying due to the knap that the Kryptek lacks. The camo is pretty nice looking as well. Their pants seems to be pretty really quiet as well (other than the reinforced knee panels, which are not bad), so they might appeal to the bowhunters. I should have payed more attention to the names of the garments.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
In 2012, I bought a pair of Vahalla pants, and they didn't fit well. Are there any plans to change the cut of the pants for 2013?

Last edited:
In 2012, I bought a pair of Vahalla pants, and they didn't fit well. Are you there any plans to change the cut of the pants for 2013?

How did they not fit well? Just curious as I am going to be picking up a new pair of pants this season...

Mike

dotman

WKR
How did they not fit well? Just curious as I am going to be picking up a new pair of pants this season...

Mike

I just ordered them from Cabelas (killer sale on kryptek currently) and from what I have found (which has been difficult) the crotch is cut a little low and the thighs can get tight (difficult to layer) but if you buy a size up this all goes away. So in a week when mine come in I'll let you know, also ordered the vest. At $69 ea I couldn't pass this up, they are the 2012 items since the 2013 isn't out yet.

This gear has been the most difficult stuff to get answers on fit, 95% love it and they state it is great but talk nothing of fit. I found very few talking about fit, so I took a chance since 99% highly recommend it and some say it is better then their old Sitka and other top brands. The highlander pattern has grown on me and the price was right so I had to try a few items.

I'll post up my thoughts but they really won't matter if changes have been made to the 2013 line.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Wow, dotman thanks iv been needing a pair of beater warm weather pants to get. I was going to wait for the 2013 Valhalla but for 70 bucks I cant pass up this deal!

dotman

WKR
Wow, dotman thanks iv been needing a pair of beater warm weather pants to get. I was going to wait for the 2013 Valhalla but for 70 bucks I cant pass up this deal!

Get the vest if you can at that price, awesome reviews on it. Just say highlander grew on me enough to change my HC from CB to it, lol. And here I'm a solids fan :)

BigSurArcher

Banned
For what it's worth on sizing of the Valhalla pants: I tried some on at Cabelas last weekend. The perfect waist size for me in jeans is 33. The Valhalla 32 waist was perfect, with just enough room to fit an additional this base layer waistband. I stand 5'11" tall and the length (32) was just right for a hunting pant. Like Dotman said, the thighs were fairly tight- especially bending down. I don't know my quad circumference but they are bigger than average for my height/ weight. The crotch was perfect, but I can't stand a low hanging crotch in hunting pants. My girlfriend said they were "revealing" though.

Hopefully this helps some of you out that are on the fence with sizing.

Todd

Lawnboi

WKR
Definelty cant argue with how well the highlander camo looks in the field. I was told I should hold off on the Valhalla but I cant at that price, and id like to give them a trail here in april when I have a shed hunting trip planned. They sound like they will fit me well, I like low riding waist pants, and Im a small guy so they should work out hopefully.

Not quite ready to switch my Coyote brown high camp over to highlander just yet, though I have thought of switching it to multicam. If there wasn't a weight savings I definetly would.

dotman

WKR
Definelty cant argue with how well the highlander camo looks in the field. I was told I should hold off on the Valhalla but I cant at that price, and id like to give them a trail here in april when I have a shed hunting trip planned. They sound like they will fit me well, I like low riding waist pants, and Im a small guy so they should work out hopefully.

Not quite ready to switch my Coyote brown high camp over to highlander just yet, though I have thought of switching it to multicam. If there wasn't a weight savings I definetly would.

Yeah I was told the same by a few people but at that price it is worth the chance.

jmez

WKR
Fit on the hunting shirts is small. Buy a size up if you don't like a tight fit. I wear an XL top in everything. I bought XXL with the Kryptek hunting shirts. I'm 6'0" 200lbs with an athletic build.

Have the vest it fits true to size
Koldo rain gear fits true to size, have an XL top and bottom, fits well enough to wear standing alone but with enough room to slip on over early season hunting clothes
Hoodie, don't remember what it is called fits true have an XL
Aegis Extreme Weather coat fits true to size, have an XL

I don't have any of their pants so can't comment on the fit of those

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider

Mike

They fit very tight on my thighs, and looked like skinny jeans. When my wife saw them she laughed. I like the new camo, so I am hoping they change the cut.

dotman

WKR
They fit very tight on my thighs, and looked like skinny jeans. When my wife saw them she laughed. I like the new camo, so I am hoping they change the cut.

Did you try to size up? I'm hoping that works, fingers crossed.

HvyBeams

Lil-Rokslider
Did you try to size up? I'm hoping that works, fingers crossed.

I don't think I did. I do remember they fit well in the waist and inseam.

I watched a video that First Lite had the same problem when they first introduced the Kanab pants. They had the Patagonia pants cut. FL realized, body wise, hunters are not like the typical backpacker. So they changed their cut. I am going to purchase the Kanab pants, and give them a try.

I will watch the thread to see how sizing up worked for you.

dotman

WKR
Alright, my vest was delivered today. My initial impressions:
- fit is excellent
- material is quiet and soft, haven't compared to my Kuiu and of course my First Lite has it beat here
- chest pocket is nylon to keep weight down, hopefully not going to be a noise issue
- fleece lined, very comfy, seems like it will keep a guy warm
- overall construction seems to be as good as the other top companies, very quality in looks only time will tell for durability
- camo is not something I care about but the Highlander is my new favorite

So after 15mins with the vest I am more then happy and I'll be keeping this.Do not size up on the vest.

Hopefully the pants come in next week and I can give an intial thought review but will need sometime with both to determine overall quality/durability. I will say I'm impressed with how quiet the material is, overall construction and fit. For the $69 sale price of the vest and if I like the pants I'll have a good start for less then the price of the competitors pants alone :) even when they are on sale.

After finally seeing this pattern in person I'm happy I changed my order with Kifaru for the Highcamp bag from Coyote Brown to Highlander. I also think my Kifaru accessories in both Coyote Brown and KU Brown will go nicely with the Highlander.

If the 2012 version of the pants do not fit well I'll be paying full price and getting the 2013's to try.

Last edited:
I tried on the valhalla pants this weekend at cabelas and I agree with most the reviews they are tight and crotch is a little high. I have skinny legs and if they fit me a little tight then they are slim cut. I will buy them if they change the cut though. I hate the price of the kuiu attack pants but they fit perfect. Ill probably pick up some marmot scree pants as my back up as 150$ for the attacks is just hard to swallow even if they are perfect.

KMT

WKR
I bought the 2011 Alois pants. Within two hours, the poorly attached waist button popped off and that was all she wrote. They have several pockets, and some (back of the thigh) were completely useless. I tried to give the 2012 pants another shot a few months ago. The new Alois pants now have a snap button for the waist (think snap like toddler clothing), and I couldn't imagine them staying fastened for more than a couple of minutes. I have bird legs still would have liked more room in the thighs, especially for hiking over rocks and deadfall.

With all that said. The Kryptek guys are first class. With a few more improvements, their hunting line will be top notch.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I have emailed Kryptek twice with some product questions and have yet to receive a response after a couple of weeks. :confused: