Rookie Question on Broadheads

What is the best broad... just kidding. Not gonna ask that question. I know it leads to a million answers and a lot of rage (pun intended).

Rather what poundage would you recommend for expandable broadhead IF I decided to go that route. And what grain would you recommend for said expandable?

If it matters I shoot an Elite now with a 29 inch draw. The max that my bow can go up to is 60lbs (to my knowledge)

(Currently I shoot G5 Deadmeats for Whitetail. Not sure if that’s the right call for elk. So if you have any recommendations on that go for it)

Thanks for your help and advice. I appreciate it and can’t wait for September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Since I've never shot or hunted with one I cannot comment oh the subject. I will say make sure the state you hunt allows them, some states do not! Good luck!

ElkNut/Paul

ElkNut1

WKR
There are so many good ones out there to consider these days! For me personally I really like Viper Tricks, Exodus Qad ( non swept) Muzzys have been very good too, these are fixed bladed heads that come out of the package very sharp! There's others but these have done well.

For Cut On Contact heads I've used quite a few but really like the Iron Will heads at present although more expensive over the others.

If deciding on ones with the smaller but deadly profile those Exodus heads are really tough to beat with the Viper Tricks right on their tail, both are proven great elk medicine!

ElkNut/Paul

Trial153

WKR
I don't recommend expandable heads for elk. That said if you were set on it I would focus on two things and bow poundage would'nt be one of them, 60 or 70 isnt going to make much difference.
First would be arrow weight, I would make sure your shooting a 500 plus grain arrow if you were using an expandable head, 550 would even be better. In fact I would recommend that kind of weight even with fixed blade head. However back to the point. Arrow weight with an expandable for elk is primary,
Send point would be picking a head that has a reasonable cutting diameter. Look for two blade expands that come in about 1.5" , or if you go three bladed about 1.25 or so. Rocket steelheads, Range hypo plus p ..ect ect.

Or really do yourself a favor and use a COC fixed blade head.

widnert

Lil-Rokslider
Solid advice above. Fixed-blade broadheads are dependable. Heavier arrows are best for elk. I personally use the G5 Montecs with great success.

One thing to add though, I do also carry an arrow with an expandable broadhead in my quiver. For a very specific reason. When encountering a shot at around 30yds or further and there is a strong thermal or outright wind at play, I'll pull out the expandable. Fixed-blade broadheads tend to plane with a wind and will cause an arrow to shift flight slightly. There's just no way around it. In these situations, the expandable typically flies more true - improving your ability for proper shot placement.

Consider this when making your decision on what to carry and practice with your broadheads before you hunt. I've found this setup works best for me but YMMV. Oh, for the expandable, I use Grim Reapers. Very solid head with proven performance over the years.

Best of luck.

Gunnar19

FNG
Magnus snuffer ss for me, but similar comments to above, fixed blade COC for bigger game like elk. Easy to sharpen and good service.

What is the best broad... just kidding. Not gonna ask that question. I know it leads to a million answers and a lot of rage (pun intended).

Rather what poundage would you recommend for expandable broadhead IF I decided to go that route. And what grain would you recommend for said expandable?

If it matters I shoot an Elite now with a 29 inch draw. The max that my bow can go up to is 60lbs (to my knowledge)

(Currently I shoot G5 Deadmeats for Whitetail. Not sure if that’s the right call for elk. So if you have any recommendations on that go for it)

Thanks for your help and advice. I appreciate it and can’t wait for September.

I know everyone is going to say shoot a fixed blade - I have gutted myself with the same question many times for my elk hunts, once even using a Montec. For my hunt last year in Montana, I decided to shoot a Rage Hypo. I was nervous thinking the guides would be upset with my choice. It was a tremendous relief when they all agreed that the best broadhead for elk was a Rage Hypo and that is exactly what they all shoot. They all agreed, that if you shoot one "in the shoulder", it doesn't matter what you shoot it with. If you make a good shot with a rage, it would splice him open and leave lots of blood.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Oh yeah, I am going back this year and will be shooting a rage again.

Beendare

WKR
I use a strong fixed COC head after years of seeing elk die to an arrow.

There are many guys effective with mech heads....its just a different process.

I think the keys with mech heads are;
Take shots that keep you away from heavy bone...so don't hold tight to the shoulder.

Use a heavy arrow...so keep it over 450gr...and heavier is better

Assemble the arrow perfectly....

BH Test every arrow- by shooting for groups with BH's- crazy glueing some blades shut or using a practice head

Personally, I think myStrong fixed COC setup is easier to insure perfect arrow flight and it gives me wider options in shot selection [since it penetrates much better] IMO its a better system to shoot and test every arrow/BH combo to make sure its perfect. Then touch up and in my quiver.

Plus I don't have to think about my BH diverting my attention at a critical moment; like blades coming loose, etc. Whatever your process, BH tune your bow

I used the G5 Montec 100 grain for years, very reliable but I started experiencing planing issues once the poundage was increased. I tried the rage hypodermic and they have worked great for me on whitetail. Field point accuracy and great penetration.

Last edited:

EDW

FNG
By know I am sure you have learned everyone has an opinion. Many people fail to consider energy. There are several charts available to determine energy. A combination of weight and arrow speed determine energy. As far a weight of the broad head is concerned I would start at 100 gr. and increase to help with FOC. I have had excellent results with NAP oldies but goodies, expandable Shockwaves, and fixed Thunderheads. The best advice is to play with an assortment of both types of broad heads that I am sure you can borrow from friends.
Your draw length will allow you to shoot a good variety of arrows of different weight to determine what produces the best results for your setup.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know everyone is going to say shoot a fixed blade - I have gutted myself with the same question many times for my elk hunts, once even using a Montec. For my hunt last year in Montana, I decided to shoot a Rage Hypo. I was nervous thinking the guides would be upset with my choice. It was a tremendous relief when they all agreed that the best broadhead for elk was a Rage Hypo and that is exactly what they all shoot. They all agreed, that if you shoot one "in the shoulder", it doesn't matter what you shoot it with. If you make a good shot with a rage, it would splice him open and leave lots of blood.

Just my $.02 for what it's worth. Oh yeah, I am going back this year and will be shooting a rage again.
Post up the name of that outfitter then. They're the only ones in Montana telling anyone that. I've known guys who went with outfits up there that made their hunters go into town and buy fixed heads because they didn't allow expandables of any kind in camp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Rage Hypos are decent at short ranges, but they plane just like fixed heads at longer ranges, 60+ yards. That's not an opinion, that's testing done from multiple well tuned setups under a variety of wind conditions. At distance the standard Rage flies better than the Hypos. Still wouldn't use either on an elk.

Post up the name of that outfitter then. They're the only ones in Montana telling anyone that. I've known guys who went with outfits up there that made their hunters go into town and buy fixed heads because they didn't allow expandables of any kind in camp.

Wayne Hill outfitters Noxon Montana

sneaky

"DADDY"
Wayne Hill outfitters Noxon Montana
Elk Creek Outfitters in Heron MT won't even let you in the woods with a mechanical. There's a place for mechanicals, the elk woods isn't it.

Raghornklr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve done pretty well with the radical archery designs madman 100gr in the past, I also know a lot of people shooting slick tricks for elk without complaint.

Elk Creek Outfitters in Heron MT won't even let you in the woods with a mechanical. There's a place for mechanicals, the elk woods isn't it.

LOL is guess there is a place for everyone and everything. Everyone has an opinion and their reasons behind it.

TheCougar

WKR
+1 on QAD exodus. I’ve found the swept blades fly better than the full blades, but they are illegal in some states, such as Idaho, that consider them “barbed”. Slick Trick Magnums also fly well and are a bit cheaper, but I’ve never shot anything with them. Look into Hybrids like the Gravedigger, they have some of the benefits of a fixed and fly better than a fixed.

Bulldawg

WKR
I’ve actually only killed elk with expandables, but I will use fixes blades next time I go. I have mostly used them because I had a bunch of Ulmer edges that I wanted to use up. Killed some with the G5 T3, I would recommend that head for elk but it worked. The only time I didn’t have a pass through on an elk was last year and that arrow went in the bulls shoulder and jammed into his hip because it was a quarter to shot, so it traveled a couple feet cutting everything in sight.

They work, pick the right one and it’ll get the job done.