Ruger American

i would probably go with the T/C compass if getting a budget rifle right now, they have shown great accuracy as well, and a little better features, not quite as ugly, and don't feel as cheap in the hand.

i bought a RA in 7-08, and like the few others i have shot, was a little over MOA accuracy, which is better than you would expect for that rifle. they are ok, but they remind me of the savage axis. as far as utilitarian, they shoot well, and nothing is too bad on them, just not my thing

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my 2 Grandchildren TC Compass Rifles in 6.5CM, I have mixed feelings about those rifles and wished I had bought them RAR Predators instead. The triggers were crap but I bought kits from MCarbo that fixed that. The actions are rougher than the RAR, no doubt about that!
They both shot under 1 MOA with Hornady factory 129 gr. ammo, no complaint there but every RAR I have ever shot will do that too.
They feel cheaper to me (subjective I know) than the RAR.
But my main concern about the TC is will they be around long. S&W pitched them aside & I am not aware of them being bought. I am concerned that a new buyer may only be interested in the Encore/single shot
side and the Compass goes away as the competition is intense.
Also, Ruger customer service is great but the customer service for TC could disappear soon.

Zappaman

WKR
The axis and axis ll will both shoot, no question about it, but they are more of a low budget rifle. The flimsy, lightweight, rattly, plastic safety on the few that I've seen and shot was very irritating, They seemed to have a few other rattles too, but I didn't examine them that closely. It just didn't lend confidence in terms of longevity. Other than that, and the 6 lb non adjustable (read- adjustable if you don't mind figuring out how to do it) trigger on the original axis (axis ll comes with an adjustable trigger) they're a bargain. The Ruger American- ugly as it is, just feels like a more solid piece of equipment. Nothing rattles, and there are no loose parts. For some reason that gives me a lot of peace of mind.
The Axis II (what I was discussing) is no more "low budget" than this Ruger which has some REAL (heavily discussed) concerns with mags and sticky bolts. No such issues with the Axis IIs (or the old original "Edge/Axis" line for that matter).

Out of a dozen or so Axis II's going through my hands the last 8 years (1/2 bought for customers/friends/family)... I've had ONE out of the box that "rattled" on its empty clip which I fixed in 2 minutes by loading the clip (I later fixed it though- took under 20 minutes on my tool bench). I have also tweaked the Axis original triggers... a LOT easier job than my old 700s and Rugers were.

BOTH these NEW model guns (not the old Axis) have the SAME trigger (and barrel mount system) designed by who??? -Savage. (*and both these guns use this Savage technology with accu-triggers and barrel nuts).

I've held the Ruger and worked the bolt- same plastic stock, rougher bolt-- same feel as the Savage. They BOTH have the same "budget" factors and build quality. BUT, The Savage II XP stainless comes with a Bushnell Banner (decent) scope you can sell off for $75 and is about $75 cheaper shipped with this scope... than the un-scoped, non-stainless Ruger. *** $150 cheaper to get stainless... Hum?***

I've customized a few Axis IIs for myself too- stock, barrel replacement, good glass on top- beautiful, rugged, and accurate in the field. If you own a barrel vice, you are then addicted (I am) to modding switch barrel rifles. My custom Axis II (Maple 260ai) build took the buck in my avatar last December at 365 yards (ranged)-- in the neck as intended. It's done it a few times over the five years I've owned it and I'd not trade or sell it as its so damned accurate (consistently). Haven't touched it since building it- dozen pigs, deer, and an elk have gone through the freezer with this gun.

Most "down" the Savage because of the lower-end ($250ish on sale) original Axis's (and it's heavy trigger everyone complained about, then fixed without a follow-up post)... and that's about it. Don't forget... It WAS the gun that broke the "Sub $300" market wide open back then and it held up pretty good for what it was. You don't hear about them failing much 10 years later either.

But today... the Axis II has the accutrigger, updated (adjustable LOP) stock, and an equally accurate barrel as the Ruger. BOTH need some tweaks at times (as do some higher dollar makers too mind you), but the nice thing is that both Ruger and Savage are US companies and aren't going anywhere. And BOTH companies are delivering higher-end guns (both great) if you spend the money.

But... comparing the Axis II (in stainless) to this Ruger on all points... I'll (keep on) taking the Savage Axis II's.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Alot is subjective when it comes to appearance, but I can't stand the Axis and will never buy one.
The mag issues are solved now with the Ruger.
I know that Savages can shoot but I bought a heavy barrel 22-250 several years ago, had it bedded and did barrel break-in yaada yaada, it was not very accurate. I now have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 300WM, it is starting to shoot but very temperamental and has more point of impact shift than I am used to when I change loads. So right now I feel like I am 0 for 2. Again, too many Savages out there shoot well & I know it.
But personal experience can cloud your thinking sometimes.

Fordguy

WKR
I have as much experience with the Savage axis and axis ll as I do with the Ruger American, which is to say quite a bit. I took an axis on a Wyoming antelope hunt last fall. No issues, filled my tag. If I can hear the plastic parts on the gun rattle when I move it, there's some fit and finish issues that quality control should take care of. I've had the same rattles on multiple axis and axis ll rifles. None of the rattles have caused actual problems, I just don't like it. I feel like there should be more attention to detail, especially on a firearm safety, even on a budget gun.
I remember a time when Savage was offering a rebate that brought the cost of the original axis down to sub-200 prices.
I've heard people complain about mag issues with the Ruger Americans, but I've never had one fail in any way. Maybe I'm just lucky- which would be extremely rare and highly unlikely.
I have had the Ruger American fail to fire in a hunting situation once, but that was because the bolt handle had somehow been bumped up just a little. It was operator error and not a firearm malfunction.

Personally I dislike plastic stocks, so one of them now wears some laminated wood from Boyds. Bedded in and shoots really nice- the laminate stock and the bedding helped cut my avg group size by 1/2"", even if it is a bit heavy. The barrels on the Ruger Americans frequently have machine marks- something I haven't seen as much of on the Savage axis or axis lls. I haven't rebareled any of them simply because I haven't had enough barrel wear to justify it yet. They all still shoot under an inch if I do my part. I have considered it down the road though.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't mind spending a little more on something that feels like it's been properly assembled. At the low price of the Savage I won't feel too hesitant about finding a way to fix the loose safety, or maybe even make a new safety from steel and fit it properly- if I find myself with some spare time. While I haven't seen a 350 dollar Ruger American in a while, I have seen some in the 400 range recently. You just have to look around til you find one and be ready to buy. To each his own. You like your Savage axis ll, and that's cool. Personally I prefer the Ruger American.

11boo

WKR
I have the Ruger in 6.5. impulse buy, mainly cause it was so cheap. 379 I think.
amazing accuracy. Flimsy stock and the trigger group looks like it belongs in a cap gun. Still like it.

0E03C74D-A280-482F-A95D-09DDEF1079CE.jpeg

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Sure would love to pick up a Go Wild 6.5 PRC for 379.00 but I don't think that will happen.

Zappaman

WKR
I have as much experience with the Savage axis and axis ll as I do with the Ruger American, which is to say quite a bit. I took an axis on a Wyoming antelope hunt last fall. No issues, filled my tag. If I can hear the plastic parts on the gun rattle when I move it, there's some fit and finish issues that quality control should take care of. I've had the same rattles on multiple axis and axis ll rifles. None of the rattles have caused actual problems, I just don't like it. I feel like there should be more attention to detail, especially on a firearm safety, even on a budget gun.
I remember a time when Savage was offering a rebate that brought the cost of the original axis down to sub-200 prices.
I've heard people complain about mag issues with the Ruger Americans, but I've never had one fail in any way. Maybe I'm just lucky- which would be extremely rare and highly unlikely.
I have had the Ruger American fail to fire in a hunting situation once, but that was because the bolt handle had somehow been bumped up just a little. It was operator error and not a firearm malfunction.

Personally I dislike plastic stocks, so one of them now wears some laminated wood from Boyds. Bedded in and shoots really nice- the laminate stock and the bedding helped cut my avg group size by 1/2"", even if it is a bit heavy. The barrels on the Ruger Americans frequently have machine marks- something I haven't seen as much of on the Savage axis or axis lls. I haven't rebareled any of them simply because I haven't had enough barrel wear to justify it yet. They all still shoot under an inch if I do my part. I have considered it down the road though.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't mind spending a little more on something that feels like it's been properly assembled. At the low price of the Savage I won't feel too hesitant about finding a way to fix the loose safety, or maybe even make a new safety from steel and fit it properly- if I find myself with some spare time. While I haven't seen a 350 dollar Ruger American in a while, I have seen some in the 400 range recently. You just have to look around til you find one and be ready to buy. To each his own. You like your Savage axis ll, and that's cool. Personally I prefer the Ruger American.
Ha... I figured it out (finally)- I'm a CHEVY guy ;)

I really don't understand the "rattle" as I've literally bought at least a dozen of the Axis guns (two Axis, and the rest Axis II) with no rattles which would also drive me nuts as I'm a stalking hunter who HAS huntied in sneakers.

I also need a light gun for stalking, and the Axis IIs are 6.2 lbs before scope/ammo. I have some laminate stocks on the custom Axis II 22-250ai and 223 prairie dog guns I built. They weight in at 14 lbs or so with bull barrels in these stocks. But I had to go to a maple stock (13 oz or so) with the 260ai build to keep it to 7 1/2 lbs scoped with a 25" barrel for mountain hunting. I can no longer pack the old 700 7mmRM like I used to for over 20 years elk hunting.

I'm sure I could build an equally great rifle with the Ruger... I'll never put it down. Just saying all these cheap guns usually need some work... (like Fords ;) - Just kidding Fordguy! I'd buy you a beer any day!!!

Last edited:

Fordguy

WKR
Ha... I figured it out (finally)- I'm a CHEVY guy ;)

I really don't understand the "rattle" as I've literally bought at least a dozen of the Axis guns (two Axis, and the rest Axis II) with no rattles which would also drive me nuts as I'm a stalking hunter who HAS hunting in sneakers.

I also need a light gun for stalking, and the Axis IIs are 6.2 lbs before scope/ammo. I have some laminate stocks on the custom Axis II 22-250ai and 223 prairie dog guns I built. They weight in at 14 lbs or so with bull barrels in these stocks. But I had to go to a maple stock (13 oz or so) with the 260ai build to keep it to 7 1/2 lbs scoped with a 25" barrel for mountain hunting. I can no longer pack the old 700 7mmRM like I used to for over 20 years elk hunting.

I'm sure I could build an equally great rifle with the Ruger... I'll never put it down. Just saying all these cheap guns usually need some work... (like Fords ;) - Just kidding Fordguy! I'd buy you a beer any day!!!
Lol. I do like beer, if it's good beer. In Michigan we always used to laugh when we drove by the Oldsmobile and GM plants and the majority of the vehicles in the parking areas were Fords. Too bad Ford stopped making engines that I liked and was familiar with back in the late 90s. EVERYTHING has too much electronic nonsense for my liking anymore. Maybe that's a sign that I'm getting old.

I haven't weighed everything fully assembled in the Boyds stock but I'm guessing it's around 10 lbs scoped with a full mag. However, it's short enough to be great for cross country hunting trips (fits easily in girlfriend friendly vehicles when I don't need the truck) and stalking in the brush, so I end up using it a lot. Just don't forget to return the scope to 1x for the thick brush. Lol (guilty of that last year stalking in a Michigan swamp and it cost me a really nice buck... Facepalm*).

pk_

WKR
I've almost bought one a few times, but the price has crept up and I can get the Savage Axis II (*in stainless) for a little less. Both guns have been said (many times) to shoot "tiny holes". But I'm sure you'd be happy with the Ruger (*and if it still was under $500 after shipping, tax and FFL... I would too).
Have you handled both guns? When I bought my ruger I was contemplating these two choices and it took a matter of seconds to decide on the ruger.

(Edit: never mind just saw your next post lol)

I got mine in 30-06 and it eats anything I rack through it and I think it has killed about everything I have pointed it at. Great hunting gun.

I zeroed mine in today. First load I tried was the 150 gr Winchester Power Points. I got lucky I guess, because it apparently loves this load and I have a couple hundred rounds already. My last 3 shot group at 100 yards.
4302cc474075e031f0deb98ece747b8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
Just for Fordman's benefit I would say you were trying to hit that clicker if it was for a Ford! :)

But he does have to be concerned, dang technology, a power tailgate?
Yea, I am old too! ;)

ZAK13

Lil-Rokslider
I have a RAP in .308 and honestly, I like the fact that its lightweight and handy, I wasn't sure about the 18" barrel and the velocities it produces, but most of my hunting is done under 400 yards and that's plenty for that barrel length. As most have stated, it's a very accurate and capable rifle. So far, I've found Federal Fusion 165gr. loads to be the most accurate, with the Federal Trophy Bonded 165gr. load to be just as good. Once I get my dies in, hoping to reload some Hammers for it.