Replacement triggers available for Ruger American Gen 2?

Mcfish

FNG
I just got a Ruger American Gen 2 and I'd like to switch out the trigger with an aftermarket. Does anyone know of anyone making one yet? Or if a replacement for a Gen 1 would work? TIA

robtattoo

WKR
I'm not a lawyer, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that it uses the same trigger as the Mk1
If so, I can highly recommend the Timney

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG

robtattoo

WKR
If you hate the accu-trigger blade then by all means replace the trigger. However, if it's just pulling too heavy, you can likely replace the trigger spring with a McArbo for about $20 shipped. Super easy install.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-american-rifle-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

Only downside to the spring, if you have a trigger like mine was (long, heavy & gritty pull) all it changes is the weight.
The Timney is like a glass rod. No creep, hardly any over travel & a beautiful break.

In my experience, Ruger are pretty cool about answering questions over the phone. I'd definitely call & check cross compatability before spending Timney money.

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
If you hate the accu-trigger blade then by all means replace the trigger. However, if it's just pulling too heavy, you can likely replace the trigger spring with a McArbo for about $20 shipped. Super easy install.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-american-rifle-trigger-spring-kit.aspx
I just swapped out the springs on a 5.56 ranch rifle and 6.5 creed Predator. I was pretty impressed with the difference it made for a cheap and easy swap. Way better than the stock spring and made the trigger pull feel more crisp to me.

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG
Only downside to the spring, if you have a trigger like mine was (long, heavy & gritty pull) all it changes is the weight.
The Timney is like a glass rod. No creep, hardly any over travel & a beautiful break.

In my experience, Ruger are pretty cool about answering questions over the phone. I'd definitely call & check cross compatability before spending Timney money.
I've called and haven't spoke to a human yet.

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG
Timney replied to my email and told me their American trigger will not work in the Gen 2, but their engineers are on it and a replacement will be coming shortly. Good news

On another note, I've called Ruger a few times at two different locations and still can't get through to a human. Kind of frustrating...

Timney replied to my email and told me their American trigger will not work in the Gen 2, but their engineers are on it and a replacement will be coming shortly. Good news

On another note, I've called Ruger a few times at two different locations and still can't get through to a human. Kind of frustrating...

From what I understand, the Gen 1 triggers will work, it will just make the safety into a two-position, rather than the three-position that the Gen 2 is designed with.

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG
From what I understand, the Gen 1 triggers will work, it will just make the safety into a two-position, rather than the three-position that the Gen 2 is designed with.
There's the answer I've been searching for! I wondered if that was the only difference. I'll order one today. Many thanks

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
I just removed the spring completely from my Gen 1. Massive improvement. I may pick up the M-Carbo spring just to have something in there, but I haven't seen the need yet.

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG
I just removed the spring completely from my Gen 1. Massive improvement. I may pick up the M-Carbo spring just to have something in there, but I haven't seen the need yet.
Interesting, I'll give that a try. I had the adjustment screw in by just a few threads and the trigger was still at 4.13 lbs. I'd say there is at least .012-.015 of creep that I can see while adjusting.

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG
I need to give a shout out to OpticsPlanet. I ordered my trigger from them (very user friendly app) and after I ordered I received a discount offer for signing up to their site. I shot them a quick email on how to apply the discount to the order I had placed without having to cancel and reorder. Within 15 minutes I received an email on how to quickly remedy the situation. And the trigger has already started the shipping process.

They have a happy new customer to say the least.

OP
M

Mcfish

FNG
Update...

They did change the safety spring setup in the Gen 2 trigger. If you go with a trigger that needs you to take the stock safety set up to complete the trigger, a Gen 1 trigger won't work.

I ended up with a JARD trigger that has the safety already built in. It is a major improvement over stock.