Ruger Gen 2 American VS Tikka

Welldone

FNG
Classified Approved
I love Tikka just like a ton of Rokslide members but I’m looking at the new Ruger too. Does anybody have one yet?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I love Tikka just like a ton of Rokslide members but I’m looking at the new Ruger too. Does anybody have one yet?

From a pure design and function standpoint, what is the Ruger offering you that is an advantage?

grfox92

WKR
There's an entire thread dedicated to them. Scroll down just a bit.

In regards to them VS Tikka.....Unless Ruger has fixed the terrible feeding issues, greatly improved the stock, completely redone the trigger, and started properly stress relieving their barrels, it's not even close. While the Rugers are usually good shooters ( I had to send mine back to Ruger and they rebarreled it) The Tikka is leaps and bounds better.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
On average, I’ve found the European manufactured guns to feed/function better as well as provide better accuracy than the American made rifles. It comes at a cost in today’s world but after you’ve suffered crummy feeding, I’ll go more refined and pay the price.

brockel

WKR
Only benefits I see with the new ruger over the tikka is a shorter already threaded barrel and a cheaper price. Not a fan of the ruger trigger, their new stock design. For a hunting rifle also not a fan of the aic mag design but would be fine for coyote calling for me.

jamesmc8

Lil-Rokslider
If the cartridge and twist you want is offered in Tikka go that route. Ruger is offering lots of new options with this rifle including 6mm Creed, 6 ARC, 22 ARC amongst others. Ruger said the bolt is improve and that these newer ones feed better. Looking forward to handling one.

Elite

WKR
There's an entire thread dedicated to them. Scroll down just a bit.

In regards to them VS Tikka.....Unless Ruger has fixed the terrible feeding issues, greatly improved the stock, completely redone the trigger, and started properly stress relieving their barrels, it's not even close. While the Rugers are usually good shooters ( I had to send mine back to Ruger and they rebarreled it) The Tikka is leaps and bounds better.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Tikka stocks are terrible. Every other part is great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
They feel like a Tupperware container. Not sure why anyone would think that’s a good stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You mean they feel exactly like every single plastic stock made? Except they’re actually stiff with a pretty decent geometry.

Putting paint on a stock doesn’t change the stock. It’s about 30 seconds to paint one.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I appreciate ruger for offering a short/ shorter barrel that comes threaded and cerakoted and some of the calibers that it is coming ie 6cm, 6arc and 22 arc that is the biggest pro in my opinion. Now they are a decent value, but the fit and finish is not their when comparing to a tikka. I have a gen 1 ruger American predator and it is a decent rifle for what it is, but it feels like junk compared to a tikka as mentioned feeding, bolt smoothness, trigger, barrel and even stock heavily favor tikka. Plus with a tikka i would have no qualms throwing an aftermarket stock on or rebarreling to create a semi custom rifle, purchasing aftermarket components for a ruger is akin to putting lip stick on a pig…

I handled a gen 2 in a store and compared it to an gen 1 and there’s no way in hell I’d buy one now and I really wanted one in 6 ARC. The action is one of the worst feeling actions I’ve ever cycled, possibly the worst. I can’t think of one that was worse that’s for sure. The stock was also flimsy Tupperware.

I’d take a Tikka over one for sure, but after getting rid of my last 3 tikkas there’s no way I’d buy another one of those either.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I handled a gen 2 in a store and compared it to an gen 1 and there’s no way in hell I’d buy one now and I really wanted one in 6 ARC. The action is one of the worst feeling actions I’ve ever cycled, possibly the worst. I can’t think of one that was worse that’s for sure. The stock was also flimsy Tupperware.

I’d take a Tikka over one for sure, but after getting rid of my last 3 tikkas there’s no way I’d buy another one of those either.
That’s disappointing, I too was thinking of maybe getting one in 6arc

Davisjj8

Lil-Rokslider

How was the action different than the gen 1?

Wacko

Lil-Rokslider
They are both factory rifles. So they are both a crap shoot for accuracy. Ruger has much better customer service than beretta and will most likely fix any issues. Beretta is not known to do anything. You can also roll the dice twice for every 1 tikka.

I'm not going in to combat with my rifle. I take care of my stuff and test it too. If a Ruger were to fail me in the field....I can still buy steak and burgers like always. I personally just purchased 2 ruger american gen 1's. I find them to be fine, functional, accurate rifles that break in nicely as well.

I am going to give one of my tikka's a test and if it doesn't work (again) they are down the road. I just assembled it last night for the final "test".

I think Ruger offers several advantages....more caliber selection, strong aftermarket, better factory support, better twist rates, and lower cost just being a few. Tikka will catch up some day....maybe. At least they made a 1/8" .243.....no factory ammo to take advantage of it...but they should have just come out with a 6 creed. Which is why I also have a ruger predator in 6 creed...that shoots really well.

For those who say upgrading a Ruger american is putting lipstick on a pig....well look at the tikka build thread. Lots of money spent on "the best" factory rifle. If I upgrade a ruger those parts can stay with it if I rebarrel, or can be taken off the rifle, put back to factory - trade it in, and put those parts on the new one for less than a rebarrel. Same as any other rifle. I can buy a ruger american and say the MDT Fieldstock for the same price of just a tikka.

I'm sure I'll get flamed....but I spend my money how I want and will use what I want - for better or worse..LOL

They are both factory rifles. So they are both a crap shoot for accuracy. Ruger has much better customer service than beretta and will most likely fix any issues. Beretta is not known to do anything. You can also roll the dice twice for every 1 tikka.

I'm not going in to combat with my rifle. I take care of my stuff and test it too. If a Ruger were to fail me in the field....I can still buy steak and burgers like always. I personally just purchased 2 ruger american gen 1's. I find them to be fine, functional, accurate rifles that break in nicely as well.

I am going to give one of my tikka's a test and if it doesn't work (again) they are down the road. I just assembled it last night for the final "test".

I think Ruger offers several advantages....more caliber selection, strong aftermarket, better factory support, better twist rates, and lower cost just being a few. Tikka will catch up some day....maybe. At least they made a 1/8" .243.....no factory ammo to take advantage of it...but they should have just come out with a 6 creed. Which is why I also have a ruger predator in 6 creed...that shoots really well.

For those who say upgrading a Ruger american is putting lipstick on a pig....well look at the tikka build thread. Lots of money spent on "the best" factory rifle. If I upgrade a ruger those parts can stay with it if I rebarrel, or can be taken off the rifle, put back to factory - trade it in, and put those parts on the new one for less than a rebarrel. Same as any other rifle. I can buy a ruger american and say the MDT Fieldstock for the same price of just a tikka.

I'm sure I'll get flamed....but I spend my money how I want and will use what I want - for better or worse..LOL
No reason for anyone to “flame” you, like you said, it’s your money to spend.

The difference to me personally, put a stock and a cheap bolt knob on a tikka and you have a super smooth rifle with an excellent trigger

Put a stock on a RA and you still have a RA with better shooting ergonomics, and it’s easier for me to invest in a tikka

When the savage UL came out a few years ago I had to have one, seemed like a good value, but I ended up putting in a 1300$ chassis, and it does shoot really well, but I would rather have a nice smooth running tikka with a good trigger, and if I sold that setup, I would take a big hit… if it was a tikka, I would be able to get most of my money back…

I personally would rather have a couple nice rifles I like a lot than a bunch of rifles I don’t really like. We all look at things a little different

The 6arc got me thinking for a second, would be a good option for my kid, but I would rather rebarrel one of my tikkas and spend the money that way rather than keep that tikka and buy a RA separately… I know me, and I know I would regret getting an American for my daughter, and would rather be down a rifle in the short term

I’ll probably keep the tikka as is and get her an 8 twist 243 for now, but if I didn’t want to do that, I would rebarrel my 308 rather than buying a RA in 6arc

Different strokes