Ruger Gen 2 American VS Tikka

BLJ

WKR
Having owned multiple of both brands... If you are truly a "function over form" guy then buy a Tikka and forget about the Ruger.
How many rounds on your Ruger Americans when you started having issues? And what specific issues did you have? Thanks.

jimh406

WKR
I don't have one yet. As someone said, they bought one just for the stock adjustability so that their kid could shoot the gun as well.

It seems to me that you either like/tolerate the action feel/trigger or you don't. That's the same with the stock. If you want to change things, there seems to be a lot of aftermarket support for the Rugers and some support for Tikka.

Maybe someone has shot 500K rounds or maybe internet postering. That's a lot of money through inexpensive guns and a lot of time. I think most people probably don't shoot 500 rounds a year through their hunting rifles. More likely less than 100 per year.

ElPollo

WKR
Even if you could replace everything on a Ruger, I don’t think you could ever make the action as reliable as a Tikka. They feed well and work under almost any environmental conditions. You’re not going to get that with a Ruger. If you shoot 10-20 rounds a year out of a box blind, you’ll probably do fine with a Ruger. If you use them hard, you’ll start fixing and replacing parts, but it’ll still be a Ruger action at the core that will fail you. And when you try to sell it, it’s still a Ruger, no matter how much money you’ve sunk into it.

grfox92

WKR
Even if you could replace everything on a Ruger, I don’t think you could ever make the action as reliable as a Tikka. They feed well and work under almost any environmental conditions. You’re not going to get that with a Ruger. If you shoot 10-20 rounds a year out of a box blind, you’ll probably do fine with a Ruger. If you use them hard, you’ll start fixing and replacing parts, but it’ll still be a Ruger action at the core that will fail you. And when you try to sell it, it’s still a Ruger, no matter how much money you’ve sunk into it.
How can you make the claim when the gen2 was just released and hasent even been tested for reliability?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: BCD

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
How many rounds on your Ruger Americans when you started having issues? And what specific issues did you have? Thanks.
My Rugers were all model 77s in various chamberings and two Ruger Number ones. The model 77s were from a sponsorship, so I was happy to shoot them for free.

Issues were with long term use included barrels being shot out very quickly (one example being a .308 needing to be re-barreled after only 1,800 rounds). Action binding (lots of slop and over time gets worse with hard use). Trigger issues, mainly failure to fire. Action/trigger failing to function with minimal snow/ice accumulation. Two rifles had head spacing issues that were covered under warranty. Chased that one for weeks and was very frustrating. Very finicky action screws. Could only really get them to shoot how I wanted at the time with very low torque specs. Tightening them to more realistic specs for a heavy field use rifle would result in groups opening up badly. I’ve never seen a Ruger in person where the barrel was fully free floated from the factory. I had to dremel and sand all of mine, I also bedded them to relieve issues.

BLJ

WKR
My Rugers were all model 77s in various chamberings and two Ruger Number ones. The model 77s were from a sponsorship, so I was happy to shoot them for free.

Issues were with long term use included barrels being shot out very quickly (one example being a .308 needing to be re-barreled after only 1,800 rounds). Action binding (lots of slop and over time gets worse with hard use). Trigger issues, mainly failure to fire. Action/trigger failing to function with minimal snow/ice accumulation. Two rifles had head spacing issues that were covered under warranty. Chased that one for weeks and was very frustrating. Very finicky action screws. Could only really get them to shoot how I wanted at the time with very low torque specs. Tightening them to more realistic specs for a heavy field use rifle would result in groups opening up badly. I’ve never seen a Ruger in person where the barrel was fully free floated from the factory. I had to dremel and sand all of mine, I also bedded them to relieve issues.
Fair enough. Thanks for the response.

ElPollo

WKR
How can you make the claim when the gen2 was just released and hasent even been tested for reliability?

Okay, that’s fair. My comments were based on my experiences with the gen 1, which feeds like crap, has terrible ergonomics, a rough action that binds, and a trigger that I hate. I went and watched a few of the video reviews on this gun and it does appear they’ve improved the feeding issues from previous models and made the action smoother. The action does share the closed top with the Tikka that keeps some of the debris out. None of the reviews deal with the other potential entry points for debris, but it’s probably better in regard to reliability than most other production bolt actions and may be comparable to the Tikka. Can’t really say until it gets used, but I’m not likely to buy one.

If you look at the external changes they made, the stock design is horrible for anything other than offhand and it’s not great for that. The low buttpad and high comb combo is going to suck for shooting prone and will be bad for recoil control in any position. For me, that would require changing. The trigger retains the safety dingus which is prone to failure from debris, snow and ice. For me, I’d change that. Just off the bat, that would be probably $700 minimum, added to the gun that is not likely to add to resale.

By comparison, the Tikka trigger is probably the best factory bolt gun trigger for guns under $1k. It’s super crisp and reliable. People complain about the stocks, but they have passable ergos, sufficient stiffness, and are super durable. Could they be improved? Sure. Are their good aftermarket options available to do that? Yes. Are there for the Ruger? Not at this point.

The Ruger also has a bolt on pic rail compared to Tikka’s integral rail. There are pluses and minuses to both. The integral Tikka rail is more failure proof, but it limits you to a couple of mounts. The pic rail can be reliable, but you need to epoxy it in place. There are lots of ring options available, but it’s also higher than the integral Tikka integral rail.

Even if the Ruger functions better than earlier versions, no one is likely to start building custom guns off a Ruger American. Resale on these gun hasn’t really been there. And like a Savage, if you make changes to it, you still have a Savage that is worth what a used Savage is. From a resale perspective, you are much better off with a stock Tikka. And if you want to upgrade, I don’t believe the Ruger gen 2 currently has any options available. However, there likely will be in the future. I know Stocky’s was working on a gen 1 aftermarket stock. I just wouldn’t choose the Ruger to invest in for aftermarket upgrades. That’s my opinion.

As for buying a cheap gun for kids or other smaller statured people? Ruger gen 2 stock might be adjustable for length, but the design does nothing to help recoil control or good shooting practices. I would prefer the Tikka compact stock and add cheap spacers if needed as the kid grows. A short RokStok or VG Hunter with the trigger reach shortened would be closer to optimal.

The fluted barrel and brake do nothing for me and look kinda gaudy. I don’t use brakes because of increased muzzle blast, and they are terrible for younger shooters. I tend to shorten barrels for use with a suppressor even if the come factory threaded. You can shorten fluted barrels, but a lot of gunsmiths get squirrely about it. I generally prefer a standard, unfluted T3x profile for hunting. Again my opinion. And I think that covers everything I can think of.

grfox92

WKR
Okay, that’s fair. My comments were based on my experiences with the gen 1, which feeds like crap, has terrible ergonomics, a rough action that binds, and a trigger that I hate. I went and watched a few of the video reviews on this gun and it does appear they’ve improved the feeding issues from previous models and made the action smoother. The action does share the closed top with the Tikka that keeps some of the debris out. None of the reviews deal with the other potential entry points for debris, but it’s probably better in regard to reliability than most other production bolt actions and may be comparable to the Tikka. Can’t really say until it gets used, but I’m not likely to buy one.

If you look at the external changes they made, the stock design is horrible for anything other than offhand and it’s not great for that. The low buttpad and high comb combo is going to suck for shooting prone and will be bad for recoil control in any position. For me, that would require changing. The trigger retains the safety dingus which is prone to failure from debris, snow and ice. For me, I’d change that. Just off the bat, that would be probably $700 minimum, added to the gun that is not likely to add to resale.

By comparison, the Tikka trigger is probably the best factory bolt gun trigger for guns under $1k. It’s super crisp and reliable. People complain about the stocks, but they have passable ergos, sufficient stiffness, and are super durable. Could they be improved? Sure. Are their good aftermarket options available to do that? Yes. Are there for the Ruger? Not at this point.

The Ruger also has a bolt on pic rail compared to Tikka’s integral rail. There are pluses and minuses to both. The integral Tikka rail is more failure proof, but it limits you to a couple of mounts. The pic rail can be reliable, but you need to epoxy it in place. There are lots of ring options available, but it’s also higher than the integral Tikka integral rail.

Even if the Ruger functions better than earlier versions, no one is likely to start building custom guns off a Ruger American. Resale on these gun hasn’t really been there. And like a Savage, if you make changes to it, you still have a Savage that is worth what a used Savage is. From a resale perspective, you are much better off with a stock Tikka. And if you want to upgrade, I don’t believe the Ruger gen 2 currently has any options available. However, there likely will be in the future. I know Stocky’s was working on a gen 1 aftermarket stock. I just wouldn’t choose the Ruger to invest in for aftermarket upgrades. That’s my opinion.

As for buying a cheap gun for kids or other smaller statured people? Ruger gen 2 stock might be adjustable for length, but the design does nothing to help recoil control or good shooting practices. I would prefer the Tikka compact stock and add cheap spacers if needed as the kid grows. A short RokStok or VG Hunter with the trigger reach shortened would be closer to optimal.

The fluted barrel and brake do nothing for me and look kinda gaudy. I don’t use brakes because of increased muzzle blast, and they are terrible for younger shooters. I tend to shorten barrels for use with a suppressor even if the come factory threaded. You can shorten fluted barrels, but a lot of gunsmiths get squirrely about it. I generally prefer a standard, unfluted T3x profile for hunting. Again my opinion. And I think that covers everything I can think of.
I agree with most of what you are saying. I have a gen1 .308 and it feeds about 50% of the time. I've been laying prone shooting and can't get a round to feed and will just run the bolt as hard as possible 20 times in a row and it won't feed until I turn the gun on its side and smash the magazine up into the gun.

The trigger on the gen2 is the same shitty trigger on the gen 1.

Most guys seem to be most excited for the threaded and braked barrel which I get. If someone wanted to put together a lightweight backcountry rifle in a folding chassis the gen 2 would be a killer option.

Or, the gun is great for I'd guess 95% of North American hunters, who take 5 years to go through 1 box of Remmington corelok.

Maybe someone has shot 500K rounds or maybe internet postering. That's a lot of money through inexpensive guns and a lot of time. I think most people probably don't shoot 500 rounds a year through their hunting rifles. More likely less than 100 per year.

We have a winner.

Yeah he hasn’t shot that many rounds through Tikkas and not had an ejector spring fail. It’s become pretty common knowledge that it’s a failure point along with the bolt stop pin. Plenty of Tikkas have been ran as match rifles with high volumes to establish data. I have not fired a half million rounds through tikkas and I’ve probably replaced a half dozen springs in them from wear that was causing rounds to just dribble out of the action or not make it out at all.

I’m sure I just like buying $100 spring, ejector, and extractor kits to get one single spring just for the hell of it though 😂

ElPollo

WKR
We have a winner.

Yeah he hasn’t shot that many rounds through Tikkas and not had an ejector spring fail. It’s become pretty common knowledge that it’s a failure point along with the bolt stop pin. Plenty of Tikkas have been ran as match rifles with high volumes to establish data. I have not fired a half million rounds through tikkas and I’ve probably replaced a half dozen springs in them from wear that was causing rounds to just dribble out of the action or not make it out at all.

I’m sure I just like buying $100 spring, ejector, and extractor kits to get one single spring just for the hell of it though 😂
Your experience with Tikka reliability is different than mine and every other Tikka owner I know. But I won’t disagree with you on Beretta/Tikka’s customer service sucking and high cost of replacement parts and magazines. They get away with it because you generally don’t need to repair them.

Maverick1

WKR
I love Tikka just like a ton of Rokslide members but I’m looking at the new Ruger too. Does anybody have one yet?
There is a “Tikka Rokslide Special” thread with several hundred posts.

Ever hear of a “Ruger Rokslide Special”?

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I don't have one yet. As someone said, they bought one just for the stock adjustability so that their kid could shoot the gun as well.

It seems to me that you either like/tolerate the action feel/trigger or you don't. That's the same with the stock. If you want to change things, there seems to be a lot of aftermarket support for the Rugers and some support for Tikka.

Luckily, for me, a huge portion of the ammo and gear was paid for over the years. I was getting paid to shoot in various forms. Whether it be instructing, property management, property depredation, tournaments/competitions, and just for good old fun and practice. I was very fortunate to be able to shoot 7 days a week.

I agree with you. Most folks barely shoot and use their gear.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
We have a winner.

Denial on your side doesn’t change anything. If I had come in here and said “I’ve used multiple Rugers over the last decade to the tune of 500,000 rounds”. You would be quoting me and praising the post, because it favors in your “side” of a silly comparison.

Go out and actually shoot your rifles everyday. Don’t just talk about it on forums. be surprised how quickly round count adds up if you pay attention.

grfox92

WKR

Probably won't be.

The Tikka bias that exists on rokslide doesn't exist anywhere else on the internet.

Before the mob comes for me....I think Tikka makes the best factory rifles on the market.

Rich M

WKR
Probably won't be.

The Tikka bias that exists on rokslide doesn't exist anywhere else on the internet.

Before the mob comes for me....I think Tikka makes the best factory rifles on the market.

I agree.

Have a Gen 1 Ruger American and like it.

Gonna fondle a Gen 2 RA when i can. Considering getting one, will like the 20 inch barrel more than the 16 inch i have on the ranch rifle.

BLJ

WKR
Or, the gun is great for I'd guess 95% of North American hunters,

How about the Rokslide 95????😁😁

I think it may work.

Apologies to @grfox92 for chopping up your post. 😁