Ruger Gen 2 American VS Tikka

Matt5266

WKR
Regardless of what anyone says i believe the gen 2 will sell like hot cakes. It let's some people have a rifle that looks "custom" at a fraction of the price. And for some that's all they care about.

The only Ruger American I own is the Ranch in 300 blackout. It's nothing great but with a surpressor it's a giggle machine.

Regardless of what anyone says i believe the gen 2 will sell like hot cakes. It let's some people have a rifle that looks "custom" at a fraction of the price. And for some that's all they care about.

The only Ruger American I own is the Ranch in 300 blackout. It's nothing great but with a surpressor it's a giggle machine.
Exactly. Ruger exists as a company to make money. They will sell these by the truck loads. If you want a mostly reliable truck gun that doesn't break the bank, it's good enough. The people who want more represent a fraction of the potential customer base. They're going to cater to the crowd who doesn't want/need more and accounts for 90+% of their revenue.

Making this gun what the average RS member wants would price them out of their biggest market, imo.

I'm really not sure what an average RS member is. For sure, Ruger probably isn't going to make the Tikka mafia happy. :D
Fair, don't mean to paint with a broad brush. But, I'd say most on RS place a premium on gear that works more than just the price. Point is, there's good enough for the majority and then there's good enough for people who care about the finer points of their gear.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I love my tikkas and I think Ruger will sell a ton of these and has done a great job… except for the stock it is pretty awful, everyone needs to hit up magpul and tell them that the ruger American needs a lite option like the savage has

SloppyJ

WKR

That's the only one I'm interested in as well but only to shoot suppressed subs and not have to deal with my AR. The more I shoot bolt guns suppressed the more I don't really care to own many ARs. I think I'm in the minority though.

Matt5266

WKR
That's the only one I'm interested in as well but only to shoot suppressed subs and not have to deal with my AR. The more I shoot bolt guns suppressed the more I don't really care to own many ARs. I think I'm in the minority though.
No it only gets quieter with bolt guns. And you burn through less ammo seems like. I really love my ARs but bolt guns are overtaking my life.

Huntin_GI

WKR
My Rugers were all model 77s in various chamberings and two Ruger Number ones. The model 77s were from a sponsorship, so I was happy to shoot them for free.

Issues were with long term use included barrels being shot out very quickly (one example being a .308 needing to be re-barreled after only 1,800 rounds). Action binding (lots of slop and over time gets worse with hard use). Trigger issues, mainly failure to fire. Action/trigger failing to function with minimal snow/ice accumulation. Two rifles had head spacing issues that were covered under warranty. Chased that one for weeks and was very frustrating. Very finicky action screws. Could only really get them to shoot how I wanted at the time with very low torque specs. Tightening them to more realistic specs for a heavy field use rifle would result in groups opening up badly. I’ve never seen a Ruger in person where the barrel was fully free floated from the factory. I had to dremel and sand all of mine, I also bedded them to relieve issues.
Aren't the gen 2's factory bedded?

fshaw

WKR
This is all just gear obsession. Nothing wrong with it but the Ruger and a 10X SWFA will kill anything. Now if you want to pile cash up to have some fancy riflegun do so, but it's completely unnecessary to hunt.
This says it all,l although I’d need a lower magnification scope. I feel qualified to agree because I have this obsession, and I own no Tikkas or Rugers. I did have a Ruger 77 tanger in .280 and a No. 1 in 6mm that I wouldn’t mind having back though. Tikkas never really spoke to me but I don’t shoot game at long range, maybe if I did, that would change, but probably not. I’d likely build a purpose built full custom and if I did it wouldn’t be on a Tikka action. I don’t mean to bash Tikkas, I’ve never owned one and they shoot well. Buy what speaks to your personal wants, meets your needs and fits your budget.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
No it only gets quieter with bolt guns. And you burn through less ammo seems like. I really love my ARs but bolt guns are overtaking my life.
Other than subs out of my 300blk I've not really been impressed trying to suppress any gas gun. It's a but of a pain to completely re-tune the gun as well. Most of my cans don't seem to like to play with gas guns and severely over gas them. I guess I could just grab a Huxwrx flow and fix that though!

In my book these budget rifles fill that gap. For fun guns or cheaper hunting rifles. I'll be looking at the 6 Creedmoor very hard. I want that cartridge but I also don't want to let my kids bash my rifles through the woods as they start to get out in the deer woods with me.

Matt5266

WKR
Other than subs out of my 300blk I've not really been impressed trying to suppress any gas gun. It's a but of a pain to completely re-tune the gun as well. Most of my cans don't seem to like to play with gas guns and severely over gas them. I guess I could just grab a Huxwrx flow and fix that though!

In my book these budget rifles fill that gap. For fun guns or cheaper hunting rifles. I'll be looking at the 6 Creedmoor very hard. I want that cartridge but I also don't want to let my kids bash my rifles through the woods as they start to get out in the deer woods with me.
They definitely can be a little finicky. I have a huxwrx rad 45 in jail right now for pistols and PCCs. I honestly love the ruger ranch in 300 Blackout