Safe reorg + ammo storage

fwafwow

WKR
I just put in new lighting into my Liberty FatBoy safe. As part of the effort, I had to take everything out. Now that it's filled only with guns, I'm liking it, and thinking about some reorganization. (And how I need some more guns.... :ROFLMAO:) This isn't rocket science - so forgive the questions:
  1. Ammo - I've got more than can fit in the safe, and now I like having a bit more maneuverability.
    • Do any of you keep some ammo in the safe, and store the rest elsewhere? I'm leaning towards just enough for convenience - a few boxes for hunting, and maybe some self-defense, with the bulk and back-up stored somewhere else.​
    • If you keep ammo outside of your safe, do you have another safe, or something like a FireKing file cabinet?​
    • Absent some great storage ideas, I'm just going basic and put boxes "out of plain site" - but maybe use some surplus ammo cans, MTM Case-Gard utility boxes, etc. Open to ideas.​
  2. Reorg -
    • I was keeping a "go bag" in my safe with pistol, AR mags, etc. Takes up a good bit of space. Anyone using the Magstorage Solutions Stick N Go Bag?​
    • I saw a RS post not too long ago saying like "you can fit way more long guns in there if you dump those shelves and use rods". Anything else you all are doing to save space?​

NDGuy

WKR
I would post a few pics but I'd rather not have big brother knowing specifics ;) lol

Before I lost everything in a tragic boat accident I usually had a few loaded mags of personal defense rounds in my pistols/AR. Otherwise all of my normal big game, target loads, shotgun shells are on heavy duty wire racks I got from Fleet Farm. They have worked fantastic and you can adjust the shelves however you want. I keep all of my bulk target loads in plano ammo cans with a few moisture absorbing packets that I replace every few months you can get on Amazon dirt cheap.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
I would post a few pics but I'd rather not have big brother knowing specifics ;) lol

Before I lost everything in a tragic boat accident I usually had a few loaded mags of personal defense rounds in my pistols/AR. Otherwise all of my normal big game, target loads, shotgun shells are on heavy duty wire racks I got from Fleet Farm. They have worked fantastic and you can adjust the shelves however you want. I keep all of my bulk target loads in plano ammo cans with a few moisture absorbing packets that I replace every few months you can get on Amazon dirt cheap.
That’s too funny. I thought “before and after pics would be really helpful” - then I had second thoughts...

Like that approach, and I appreciate the Fleet Farm tip.

Sled

WKR
The rifle rods look interesting but I haven't used them. I could see using a few but not sure about ditching the current organization. The door pockets are great for access and space saving.

As for ammo, I have a handful of mags loaded but otherwise no ammo in the safe. Not interested in ruining my guns in the event of a fire. I do have an old cabinet that I keep some powder, projectiles and commonly used ammo in. The rest is in ammo cans behind a locked door and otherwise hidden.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
The rifle rods look interesting but I haven't used them. I could see using a few but not sure about ditching the current organization. The door pockets are great for access and space saving.

As for ammo, I have a handful of mags loaded but otherwise no ammo in the safe. Not interested in ruining my guns in the event of a fire. I do have an old cabinet that I keep some powder, projectiles and commonly used ammo in. The rest is in ammo cans behind a locked door and otherwise hidden.
OK - I admit that I've never thought about what would happen if my safe got hot enough to cook off the rounds in there. Why did you go and post a PSA like that?! Now I've got to look up my fire rating, think about the likelihood of fire getting to my safe location, speed of the FD, etc. Or I can go with NDGuy's suggestion and put it all on racks. (y)

Sled

WKR
I built some 2x4 racks under my stairs that fit ammo boxes perfectly. I get those free from work so every bit of ammo I have that isn't close to being used goes into those boxes for storage in a climate controlled portion of the house. I'm back under the 20lb of powder you can store without a wooden powder cache but that's next on my list.

I think modern, factory ammo will last a long time stored in a house. I have a lot of mine in ammo cans with silica packs but I don’t think it is necessary. I have picked up a bunch of military 30 cal, 50 cal and 40mm cans over the years. I definitely use them for ammo stored in damp areas. Mtm makes some good plastic ammo cans That are cheaper than the surplus versions.

I have a bit stored in the safe but it would only be enough to start to party if things got antisocial. I have to and grab bags near the safe that I would insert the guns into as needed.

I bought a cabinet that locks for some tools and ended up using it for ammo. More for the shelving than anything else. If I didn’t already have it, I probably wouldn’t bother. I keep my range gear in a bag and some totes For pistol, shotguns no rifle. I have plastic shoe boxes with the gear for different guns I shoot a lot. So if I got to the range to shoot my 6.5 creed I grab my range bag, rifle to toe with sand bags and spotting scope, and the box with the tikka magazines and stuff in it.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
I built some 2x4 racks under my stairs that fit ammo boxes perfectly. I get those free from work so every bit of ammo I have that isn't close to being used goes into those boxes for storage in a climate controlled portion of the house. I'm back under the 20lb of powder you can store without a wooden powder cache but that's next on my list.

what is this 20 lb of powder/wooden powder cache you speak of? Some type of limit? Asking for a friend.

Sled

WKR
10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

Sled

WKR
Basically it buys the fire department time by insulating the powder for a bit, even though wood burns too. If the powder goes up it's better in wood than a confined metal box where it is a bomb.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
10-3.7 Smokeless propellants intended for personal use in quantities not exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg) may be stored in original containers in residences. Quantities exceeding 20 lb (9.1 kg), but not exceeding 50 lb (22.7 kg), may be stored in residences if kept in a wooden box or cabinet having walls or at least 1-inc. (25.4-mm) nominal thickness.

My friend asked what the rule is for someone who might want to have more than 50 pounds of powder in her house?

Superdoo

WKR
I would recommend using drywall to make things fire resilient. Every half inch buys you a half hour. It’s cheap too!

Sled

WKR
My friend asked what the rule is for someone who might want to have more than 50 pounds of powder in her house?

tell your friend to build another box. the rules are for her safety and also for her insurance carrier to deny the loss claim. i've never delved too deep into the rules but am fully aware of fire safety.

as superdoo stated, there are some cheap ways to add fire resistance to your wood box and buy some more time. i just try not to leave a jackpot of flammables next to my safe that holds valuables. i'm not looking to test the fire rating on the safe anytime soon.

HeathH

FNG
I took a Jobbox with inaccessible lock covers, put fireproof drywall in in. Then bolted it down (filled it would take a tractor to lift it anyway) and filled it with ammo, powder, primers, etc.