Sauer rifles

I hope this isn’t a topic that’s been beaten to death already but I searched and didn’t find much. I currently have a Weatherby .300WSM and am very happy with it in hunting circumstances. But it is not fun to shoot or practice with. I’m not a “gun guy” but enjoy shooting and specifically hunting. That said after lots of reading and research I’m looking at getting a 6.5 PRC. Hoping to stay in/ under the 1000$ range. Don’t see many factory Prc’s mostly just custom /semi custom type. In my research I found sauer making factory 6.5prc but haven’t found any information on them. Any of you have one or information on them? I’m also looking at lots of other makers just trying to do some more research on making a good decision. I don’t post much but do read an awful lot on here and really appreciate everyone’s insights.

Apollo117

WKR
I don't know much about Sauer rifles. I know they aren't mentioned much in the forum. That doesn't mean Sauer rifles are bad I suggest waiting a bit longer to see if any other manufacturers start chambering rifles in 6.5 PRC. Or do some research to see if someone besides Sauer is currently offering a 6.5.

I'll offer an interesting near $1,000 option. Buy a Savage action, a Stockade or B&C stock, a Shilen pre-fit barrel, a PTG recoil lug and barrel nut, and lastly a set of go and no-go gauges. If you get much of those parts on sale you'll be really close to $1,000. At the end of the project you'll have a semi-custom self assembled rifle. If you want a factory rifle buy a Tikka and spend the rest on ammo.

I have sauer 100 in .300 win mag. I don’t have any personal experience with tikka but based on reviews I’d say it’s very close to the same quality/performance. I think the model 100 is a great value especially now that it’s offered in ceratech(basically cerakote). The 100 comes with a 5 shot sub 1 moa guarantee...this isn’t heavily advertised. I’ve also dealt with their customer service (blaser USA in Texas) and had a good experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not knowing exactly why you have chosen the 6.5 prc, you might open your search up to 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x55, or 6.5-284. It would give you more options for guns. As far as that goes, throw in the 270 and 280. They aren't as snorty as the 6.5 prc, but it sounds like you're trying to find something less snorty anyways. They're all very effective at most hunting distances for most game animals. I've taken elk, moose, deer, mt. goat, and pronghorn with a 100 year old 6.5x55 Swede. I also have a Kimber 300WSM.

OP
7718Sallee
Not knowing exactly why you have chosen the 6.5 prc, you might open your search up to 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x55, or 6.5-284. It would give you more options for guns. As far as that goes, throw in the 270 and 280. They aren't as snorty as the 6.5 prc, but it sounds like you're trying to find something less snorty anyways. They're all very effective at most hunting distances for most game animals. I've taken elk, moose, deer, mt. goat, and pronghorn with a 100 year old 6.5x55 Swede. I also have a Kimber 300WSM.
I like what I read about the 6.5 Creedmoor just want a little more thump Without going Norma. I hunt elk deer and bear in western Oregon mostly So not a ton of long shots. My furthest so far has been 220 but I’ve been practicing at 3&400. I have read good things about the 6.5-284 so it’s on the shortlist to research too. Just started really looking hard and it sounded to me like the Prc is going to win out but maybe the articles I read were like many (black or white) never any grey middle ground 😩. So many ppl can only see things one way with no compromise. I’ll do some more research and see what I can find.

spin

FNG
I would research the sauer barrel mating on that model. One of their other price point models was a press fit. Replacing the barrel requires shipment to Sauer. Not something a gunsmith would/could mess with. Something to consider with an untested cartridge.

If your shot's are mostly inside 400 I would be looking 6.5 CM 280 3006 308 7mm08 or many other standard calibers before aPRC or 6.5/284.

At those distances impact velocity will be high so you may/will/want to use a premium bullet to keep them together through bone. Obviously each shot situation is different.

You already have a 300 bee that you seem happy to hunt with so I would personally pick a standard caliber with many good factory ammo choices and long barrel life to practice with. All of the above will work well on game at your typical distances and if you feel under gunned you can always go to the weatherby

I assume your Weatherby is a Back Country model ? I'd find a rifle close to the same style/fit, get one in 6.5 CM and practice with that - Up to elk (not saying you shouldn't use a CM on elk, it's just that I've killed several with one and it's not my first or second choice) that CM is a fine cartridge, especially with a premium non lead 120 bullet, in practice it's easy and relatively cheap to shoot, very easy to load for, just MY suggestion ...

JWP58

WKR
I would research the sauer barrel mating on that model. One of their other price point models was a press fit. Replacing the barrel requires shipment to Sauer. Not something a gunsmith would/could mess with. Something to consider with an untested cartridge.

Per sauer the model 100 barrel is threaded into the receiver. That's the claim anyway.

my kids have a 6.5 creed moor and it has taken 2 antelope and a elk(275yds) all were dead on impact, I'm impressed with the creed moor, I'm shooting the hornady 147 eld and they shoot very well,, what a great gun. i looked a 6.5 PRC as well, maybe in a few years, but not enough difference to justify with all the ammo options the creed moor already has

howl

WKR
You don't read much about Sauer because until their recent introduction of an economy line, their stuff has been more than Americans like to spend. Sauer builds top notch stuff.

If you want to shoot a lot, 6.5 PRC is more than you want. Step it down to a .308 or .223 class cartridge. Go on ammoseek or the like and look at how much match ammo costs and consider how often you'd really want to buy a case. There should be some 6.5CM stuff that isn't too bad, but it'll still be more than .308 and lots more than .223.

You don't read much about Sauer because until their recent introduction of an economy line, their stuff has been more than Americans like to spend. Sauer builds top notch stuff.

If you want to shoot a lot, 6.5 PRC is more than you want. Step it down to a .308 or .223 class cartridge. Go on ammoseek or the like and look at how much match ammo costs and consider how often you'd really want to buy a case. There should be some 6.5CM stuff that isn't too bad, but it'll still be more than .308 and lots more than .223.
That's a really good point especially for a non-reloader - .308 would probably be the #1 choice in a hunting class round and a person could become VERY proficient indeed while remaining on a budget shooting .223

OP
7718Sallee
Thank you guys for all the responses. The reason I was looking at Prc in particular was that articles I’ve read said it has allot more punch than the cm but still less recoil than a 308 and 07-08. Articles also stated even though there are only 2 factory loads currently they are about 30$ box and the 6.5-284 ammo is average 55$. I have several adultish kids that off and on (depending on life) want to hunt with me so was trying to have an extra gun to loan. I bought 1 of them a nice pre- 64 Winchester.270 for Xmas last year and it shoots pretty nice. I might just go with the standard 6.5 cm just a little less than optimal on an elk hunt. I am wanting to start target shooting longer range but want easier shooting gun and better optics for that. I’ll keep reading and researching and come up with something for my wife to buy me for Xmas 😂

It's been said time and time again … and then some more BUT I'll state it again - .308 or 30.06 then pay attention to the RIFLE you get - versatile, capable, simple, lots (and LOTS) of available ammo - spend that time worrying about what new or awesome cartridge to get worrying about your shooting capabilities instead …..

Apollo117

WKR
The reason I was looking at Prc in particular was that articles I’ve read said it has allot more punch than the cm but still less recoil than a 308 and 07-08.

Not sure which articles are stating this, but they likely didn't perform an accurate test when testing the 6.5 PRC against other rifles. Or they are didn't do their homework. Given equal weight rifles, bullets, and manufacturer specified powder charges, the 6.5 PRC would recoil slightly more than a .308 or .7-08. That's because the 6.5 PRC has more case capacity and can be loaded with more powder. Even the factory 6.5 PRC ammo is likely to have more powder than a hand loaded .308 or .7-08. I'm not saying you couldn't load a 6.5 PRC with the same amount of powder as a .308 or .7-08. I'm also not saying the 6.5 PRC recoils significantly more than a .308 or .7-08. A normal person likely couldn't even tell the difference in the felt recoil. I am saying that to say 6.5 PRC recoils less than a .308 or .7-08 is not entirely true.

OP
7718Sallee
Not sure which articles are stating this, but they likely didn't perform an accurate test when testing the 6.5 PRC against other rifles. Or they are didn't do their homework. Given equal weight rifles, bullets, and manufacturer specified powder charges, the 6.5 PRC would recoil slightly more than a .308 or .7-08. That's because the 6.5 PRC has more case capacity and can be loaded with more powder. Even the factory 6.5 PRC ammo is likely to have more powder than a hand loaded .308 or .7-08. I'm not saying you couldn't load a 6.5 PRC with the same amount of powder as a .308 or .7-08. I'm also not saying the 6.5 PRC recoils significantly more than a .308 or .7-08. A normal person likely couldn't even tell the difference in the felt recoil. I am saying that to say 6.5 PRC recoils less than a .308 or .7-08 is not entirely true.
I can’t seem to find the specific article but it didn’t say allot less recoil just less🤔. To the other ppl saying just get a 30.06 etc. my brother has one and it’s much better than my .300WSM but still don’t want to shoot more than maybe 20 rounds though it. Same with my sons .270. Maybe I’m just a big p@@@y but I’m looking towards a gun with the least recoil I can confidently kill elk, deer and bears with. Plus comfortably shoot a box or two of shells out of. I’m open to suggestions. Again thank you to all the helpful guys out there

6.5 prc will recoil more then 308 and 7mm-08 apples to apples.

With some variance ft lbs of energy is a good denominator of recoil.

All loads factory precision hunter: 7mm-08 makes 2556ftlbs
308 at 2672ftlbs
6.5prc at 2841

The 6.5 creedmoor with 123gr bullets is probably a good balance between recoil and ability to kill... although 120 7mm-0& would be fine.

I wouldn't love the idea of 105 grain 6mm bullets up close.. but with placement you'd be fine

77gr tmk out of a 223 at 2750 dropped a big bodied mule deer like a ton of bricks at 30 yards so that's probably the most for the least.

Seeing the dozens of animals killed with that bullet at different angles, and hearing anecdotal evidence of guys dropping heaps of stags with it overseas I'd not hesitate to use it if legal on elk in any scenario not in brush.

Moose make elk look small and my buddies freezer hasn't emptied in almost a decade and they are exclusively killed with 55gr sp ammo from a 22-250

Last edited:
I was in the same boat as you having a 300WSM and wanting something a little more shoulder and wallet friendly for range time. After researching and hearing 6.5 CM from anybody and everybody, that's what I settled on. Came highly recommended from the instructors at the SAAM's course and the rifle builder as well. I have taken a Dall sheep and caribou with it using 143 ELDX rounds by Hornady. At no time have I felt under gunned with it. There are plenty of options available for it as it obviously taken hold in the market so I feel confident in being able to find quality ammo at reasonable prices in the future. I ended up putting together the same rifle, trigger and scope as my 300 so all the practice and muscle memory carries over from one to the other. Heck I pretty much did the same thing with a .22LR that I am able to shoot in the back yard suppressed. Good luck with your search.