Savage 110 ultralight (proof barrel)

Just ordered and should receive my Savage 110 UL in 280ai in a couple of weeks. While not 100% set, was planning to run a Vortex PST Gen ii 5-25x50 scope. Backfire had a comment that this scope got in the way of injections on 2 of 4 different rifles (rifle makes/models not specified).

Anyone run a Vortex PST Gen ii on this rifle, and if so any issues? Also, base and rings used?

Thank you for your input.

kfog

FNG
Just ordered and should receive my Savage 110 UL in 280ai in a couple of weeks. While not 100% set, was planning to run a Vortex PST Gen ii 5-25x50 scope. Backfire had a comment that this scope got in the way of injections on 2 of 4 different rifles (rifle makes/models not specified).

Anyone run a Vortex PST Gen ii on this rifle, and if so any issues? Also, base and rings used?

im running a razor 3-15 with talley rings. the weight was significantly less than the PST gen ii, if going for a superlight rifle the PST gen ii aint it.

speaking of weight, stockys carbon stocks available now for short action savages, 110 coming soon.

they claim 22-23 oz in a long action, which should bring me down under 7lbs with scope and muzzle brake for my 280 ai. excited to see them in person.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Man. I’ve been waiting for those stocky sticks for a while. And they are here. I JUST bought the new XLR package for hunter magazines yesterday too (where it currently sits).

I can’t seem to find a BDL kit for the savage though.

Also can someone confirm if the SA ultralight is small shank or large?

Last edited:

Unckebob

WKR
I bought my 6.5CM Ultralight over a year ago and haven’t really done anything with it. I glass bedded the stock which did seem to help stiffen it up some also added some weight to it. I will put it on the scale tonight and see what it weighs bare rifle being bedded now. I still need to pick up an optic for it. Probably go with the VX3 HD to try and keep it lighter weight.

I got a similar savage stock with one of my rifles. I immediately pulled the action and dropped in a chassis.

Subsequently, I looked at the stock to see how it compared to my Accustock. It was my understanding that pillar bedding involved metal on metal contact. Thus, I expected the pillars to sit a little proud of the plastic stock, but my stock has pillars that look exactly yours - they sit slightly below where the action would be.

Is that to be expected?

Last edited:

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my UL .308 in this week and set everything up today. I couldn’t pass up a gun with a Proof barrel for $1299

I added a 4-16x44 V4 on a 20 MOA rail. Also added a Rugged 3 port muzzle brake.
This gun is an absolute gem for the price IMO

The stock isn’t anything special, and it’s not a pretty gun, but it’s about as functional as you can want a hunting rifle to be. It shoots as well as I can shoot it.

25 rounds for break in, then I had it sighted in to Berger Classic Hunters in a few shots. Fine tuned it a little and the best group was a touch under 3/4” @ 100. A better shooter could easily get it to shoot 1/2”

I understand the desire to throw it in a better stock, but honestly there’s nothing wrong with this thing out the box.

Is there a better light rifle out there? Of course! Is there better out there for the same price point? You’d have a tough time convincing me of that

E4E975F9-0476-4F9B-96EA-8FEB965BC73D.jpeg

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Just got my UL .308 in this week and set everything up today. I couldn’t pass up a gun with a Proof barrel for $1299

The stock isn’t anything special, and it’s not a pretty gun, but it’s about as functional as you can want a hunting rifle to be. It shoots as well as I can shoot it.

25 rounds for break in, then I had it sighted in to Berger Classic Hunters in a few shots. Fine tuned it a little and the best group was a touch under 3/4” @ 100. A better shooter could easily get it to shoot 1/2”

I understand the desire to throw it in a better stock, but honestly there’s nothing wrong with this thing out the box.

Is there a better light rifle out there? Of course! Is there better out there for the same price point? You’d have a tough time convincing me of that

View attachment 461263
The kuiu stock looks cool and I agree about plastic stocks, I actually like basic plastic stocks a lot. They are durable and you don’t need to baby them. My favorite hunting rifle has the factory plastic stock on it.

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
It’s too bad they all have 22” barrels. Makes them too long to use a silencer on.

Well I’m putting one it and trying it. I’m just waiting on the stupid ATF to clear it. Was submitted eform pending 4/3. Hopefully less than a month out

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Well I’m putting one it and trying it. I’m just waiting on the stupid ATF to clear it. Was submitted eform pending 4/3. Hopefully less than a month out
I had my supressor on my 22” Kimber Montana and felt it was just entirely too long. I need to send in 3-4 rifles to get shortened and threaded, actually just got a box to ship them in today.

That’s actually the main thing keeping me away from buying barrels from proof is that they don’t offer any 18” versions for the rifles/cartridges I need done.

I’m also waiting on the ATF for 2 more cans but I’m like 30 days in on one and like 10 days on the other so I have some time left to wait.

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I had my supressor on my 22” Kimber Montana and felt it was just entirely too long. I need to send in 3-4 rifles to get shortened and threaded, actually just got a box to ship them in today.

That’s actually the main thing keeping me away from buying barrels from proof is that they don’t offer any 18” versions for the rifles/cartridges I need done.

I’m also waiting on the ATF for 2 more cans but I’m like 30 days in on one and like 10 days on the other so I have some time left to wait.

Totally get that. I probably wouldn’t want to carry that long of a rifle around in the mountains on a western hunt. I would just use my brake and leave the can at home

Even though it will be long-ish I think it will be fine here for eastern whitetail and hogs while still hunting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Totally get that. I probably wouldn’t want to carry that long of a rifle around in the mountains on a western hunt. I would just use my brake and leave the can at home

Even though it will be long-ish I think it will be fine here for eastern whitetail and hogs while still hunting.
You’re right, it just depends on the terrain. I don’t believe a 22” barrel is harder to carry around than a 20” barrel but when you put a silencer on rifles they get long. I was down in SE alaska in august and going through that thick jungle stuff with a rifle with a 22” barrel and a 7” silencer absolutely made things a bit more difficult and any bit of length I could lose would have made life better.

Last edited:

tysonmax

FNG

View attachment 461263
I just picked up the Savage UL Camo this week too and have narrowed my choice of optic to the Zeiss V4. How do you like it so far? Any reason you went with the 44mm objective instead of the 50mm?

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Savage UL Camo this week too and have narrowed my choice of optic to the Zeiss V4. How do you like it so far? Any reason you went with the 44mm objective instead of the 50mm?

Absolutely amazing piece of glass for the price. I cannot recommend it enough. The one and only thing I can say negative is the side-focus adjustment is a little on the stiff side. That doesn’t keep me awake at night, but figured it was worth mentioning

Slide over to Redhawk Rifles and grab a “demo” model for about $500 off the price of new like I did. (That wasn’t my initial intent when I decided to buy it, but they had the reticle I wanted and it ended up being a win-win)

honestly, the benefits of going from 44 to 50 are negligible across the board. I chose to stick with the more streamlined size and weight of the 44

Anyone who tries to tell you there’s a MAJOR gain going to 50 from 44 within the same make/model optic has never compared the two side by side. I’d say 9/10 people couldn’t tell one from the other.

tysonmax

FNG
Absolutely amazing piece of glass for the price. I cannot recommend it enough. The one and only thing I can say negative is the side-focus adjustment is a little on the stiff side. That doesn’t keep me awake at night, but figured it was worth mentioning

Slide over to Redhawk Rifles and grab a “demo” model for about $500 off the price of new like I did. (That wasn’t my initial intent when I decided to buy it, but they had the reticle I wanted and it ended up being a win-win)

honestly, the benefits of going from 44 to 50 are negligible across the board. I chose to stick with the more streamlined size and weight of the 44

Anyone who tries to tell you there’s a MAJOR gain going to 50 from 44 within the same make/model optic has never compared the two side by side. I’d say 9/10 people couldn’t tell one from the other.
That's great to hear. Which reticle did you choose? Also, thank you for the link to Redhawk...You just saved me roughly $300 :) I feel like I owe you a beer now!

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
That's great to hear. Which reticle did you choose? Also, thank you for the link to Redhawk...You just saved me roughly $300 :) I feel like I owe you a beer now!

Haha no problem! Glad I could help

I found their site on accident looking for a very specific reticle. I wanted the illuminated #60. Its just a good old fine duplex reticle but with an illuminated dot in the middle, similar to Leupold's Firedot.

I'm all for the complex marked reticles for bench shooting and what not, but I really like a classic duplex on a hunting set up. I'll make all my holdover adjustments with the elevation turret.

Unckebob

WKR

I have that PST II on my target rifle. While I like it, it is way too heavy for a hunting rifle much less one built to be Ultralight.In addition, the 50mm objective would force you to have a a very high cheek weld and a stock to accommodate it,

My Leupold that I have on my Lightweight Kimber 243 is 12.6 oz. I can shoot sub MOA with that combo all day long,

My PST is 5-25 is 31 oz without rings. It is also much bigger which makes it a PITA to not bump it on stuff.

Bottom line: a lightweight rifle needs a lightweight scope IMO.

Last edited:

Elite

WKR
Wondering if anyone has a 300 wsm UL? Looking at picking one up but a bit worried about the recoil in a light weight gun. I dislike the 24” barrel also on it for a wsm. Might look at a 280ai instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering if anyone has a 300 wsm UL? Looking at picking one up but a bit worried about the recoil in a light weight gun. I dislike the 24” barrel also on it for a wsm. Might look at a 280ai instead?

Buddies wife shot her elk with a suppressed 300wsm this year she’s all of 130lbs. My 90lb daughter shoots my 6.5prc granted we all shoot suppressed so that does tame some recoil.

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider

Mines only a .308 so take my opinion with a grain of salt

By the time you add your scope, base, rings, etc. its definitely light, but picks up a little heft.

The stock pad has quite a bit of squish too.

I added a muzzle brake to mine and it has virtually zero recoil. I'm sure a muzzle brake and/or suppressor would take a magnum round down into pleasant territory pretty quickly on the UL platform.

plentycoupe

Lil-Rokslider

Man that’s all up to the shooter. I will tell you when I got it I put an 11oz Swaro z3 with Talley lightweight rings on it and shot 20 rounds through it at the range. I actually mentioned to my brother the recoil was much less than I expected(not sure why)

It felt much less than a Ruger M77 .300WSM I had. Also felt less than my .270.

Then I put a break on it and it was so sweet! Although freaking loud!!

Then I put a Banish 33 Silencer, in the 7” configuration, on it and it’s a freaking dream! Although a little long yet I’ve been carrying it in open country for the last couple months with no issues. In the thick stuff it’s a pain in the ass.

All this was with factory 185-200grn ammunition.